Play Book Tag discussion

Where the Crawdads Sing
This topic is about Where the Crawdads Sing
September 2020: Psychological > Where the Crawdads Sing, by Delia Owens, 5 stars and ❤❤❤❤❤

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 02, 2020 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments The beautiful writing and narration make this perfect for audio listening. This is my second reading of this book (for a book club meeting), and I loved it as much as the first time. I was once again mesmerized, and when I finished, I backed up the audio to listen again as I fell asleep.

I should mention that this book is mainly a character study with a lot of nature writing. There is so much hype (2 years at the top of the best seller list), you might expect a fast paced mystery, and you'll be disappointed. If you go in expecting a slow thoughtful story, you might like it better.

My original review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

SPOILERS ahead
If you haven't read the book, you might want to skip my rambling comments.

The author of this book was in her 60's before she wrote this book, her first novel. For much of her life she lived with her husband in the wild, away from other people. I might think that some aspects of this story are unrealistic, but I suspect that she knows better. I wonder how much of the author is in the character of Kya.

During this reading, I noticed different things than I did the first time. I thought more about psychology. I wondered what could enable parents and siblings to leave a young child. When Kya was studying animal behavior, she searched for examples and answers to this same question. I'm not sure it would have made her feel better to attribute it to depression, mental illness, or alcoholism. Was the mother so incapacitated by depression or illness (this was back in the 1950's) that she couldn't think clearly about the children? Or did she believe they would be better off without her? I know a man who was so debilitated by substance abuse, he wouldn't visit his children. He wanted to see them, but he didn't want them to see him that way. (Though he knew their mother was taking good care of them.)

I thought about the normal stages of development, and what would enable a child to build enough skills and resilience to live independently. Was it realistic that a child that age would be more afraid of kids laughing at her, than by being hungry and alone in the dark? I don't know, but I think the author had a really good understanding of how someone could have strong resilience in some ways, but not others. I like how she dealt with social anxiety and trust issues, with Tate and with her brother. It would have been unrealistic for Kya to grow up living and working in town just like anyone else.

I also thought a lot about what was going on in the minds of the people in town. It makes me wonder if there is a child in my own community who desperately needs help, but isn't getting it. I liked the parts during the trial where we could hear the thoughts of some of the townspeople.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9074 comments Loved this book - also heard it on audio....

Sallys | 311 comments One of my Reserved

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2277 comments I avoided this book for quite awhile because of the hype surrounding it. I ended up really enjoying the audio version. I thought it was a lovely story.

message 5: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5117 comments I really need to read this - somehow it keeps getting set aside.

Robin P | 2014 comments I am one of the few who didn’t care for the book. Maybe it’s because I am not a fan of wilderness. I found it hard to believe the main character could survive as she did. I also thought the mystery solution was far fetched. But I can understand why people liked it. I need to learn to avoid books labeled as “luminous”. I had the same issue with Beautiful Ruins and All the Light We Cannot See.

message 7: by Barbara M (last edited Sep 03, 2020 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2283 comments I wish I knew how to do those hearts! I felt the same way about this book. I was unable to get my hands on the audio version though, darn it!

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments Barbara M wrote: "I wish I knew how to do those hearts! I felt the same way about this book. I was unable to get my hands on the audio version though, darn it!"

On my keyboard, I hit the window key and the period key at the same time. This brings me to emojis. Some of them don't work here, so it requires some trial and error.

message 9: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5117 comments NancyJ wrote: "On my keyboard, I hit the window key and the period key at the same time..."

Never knew that! Thank you!