Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Священний Коран з українским перекладом
Book Issues > Combine editions (complicated cases)

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 3: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments Іван wrote: "The Arabian Nights: Volume 1-6; Complete
Arabian Nights 1001 Nights: Volume 1 - 3 Complete
[book:The Arabian Nights: Tales of 1001 Nights, Volume 1 - 3 complete|605229..."

this is an ongoing organization. I'll look at these specific ones.

message 4: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments Іван wrote: "The Arabian Nights: Volume 1-6; Complete
[book:The Arabian Nights: Tales of 1001 Nights, Volume 1 - 3 complete|605229..."

some of these are less than 100 pages and some as you said are over 8000 pages. So combining them is not appropriate.

the edition of multiple translators, also includes an adaptation, and significant annotations that do not make it like the other editions.

There are several non-english translations that are also Arabian nights that will be combined with these as well.

I've been making a spreadsheet of comparisons of these translations as they are very complicated. There are multiple issues with these, and they are not the only translations.

message 5: by Іван (new)

Іван Синєпалов | 173 comments Suzi wrote: "Іван wrote: "The Arabian Nights: Volume 1-6; Complete
[book:The Arabian Nights: Tales of 1001 Nights, Volume 1 - 3 co..."

I listed here only editions marked as "complete", most of them have several volumes (3 to 17). It seems like some of these complete editions are combined with non-complete editions, so it's really complicated. Non-complete editions should be separated from complete editions, all complete editions should be combined.

message 6: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments Іван wrote: "Suzi wrote: "Іван wrote: "The Arabian Nights: Volume 1-6; Complete
[book:The Arabian Nights: Tales of 1001 Nights, Vo..."

which is exactly why it is an ongoing work
there are also hundreds of duplicates.

message 7: by Іван (new)

Іван Синєпалов | 173 comments Scott's Last Expedition: The Journals
Scott's Last Expedition Volume I

This one is not that complicated but needs some explanation.

The report about Scott's expedition was originally published in two volumes, the first one consists of Scott's diaries, and the second one includes results of the scientists' work. Later the diaries were published as a separate book. So "Scott's Last Expedition: The Journals" and "Scott's Last Expidition Volume I" are the same book.

message 8: by Іван (new)

Іван Синєпалов | 173 comments Also I wanted to ask how is it going with The Qur'an and The Arabian Nights?

message 12: by Іван (new)

Іван Синєпалов | 173 comments Just want to bring this topic up.

message 14: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13759 comments #13 Іван wrote: "Some of the editions have different authors, but that's a mistake. The true authors of the book officially considered to be Rudolf Erich Raspe and Gottfried August Bürger."

Be careful with this. Some editions may be adaptations, and they get the name from the adapter as primary author.

One edition that should not be changed is f.e. #18: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

This includes fairytales by Perrault, as can be seen on the cover. It should therefore not be combined with editions just containing the Adventures.

message 15: by Іван (last edited Oct 28, 2020 03:17PM) (new)

Іван Синєпалов | 173 comments Yes, it seems like I was too quick to judge about editions of Munchausen. Still most of them should be combined in one way or another.

And all the others entries in this thread as well; none has been done yet.

message 16: by Іван (new)

Іван Синєпалов | 173 comments lethe, could you take a look on the other requests? #7 and #1 seem to be the easiest ones.

message 17: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13759 comments I combined #7, but I'm not touching the Qur'an.

message 18: by Іван (new)

Іван Синєпалов | 173 comments lethe wrote: "I combined #7"

Thanks a lot, that's a huge progress for this thread :)

message 19: by Іван (new)

Іван Синєпалов | 173 comments It's been three months, no movement here.

message 20: by Іван (new)

Іван Синєпалов | 173 comments Is anybody here?

message 21: by Redangel333 (last edited Apr 15, 2021 10:15AM) (new)

Redangel333 | 256 comments I checked #13 but most of the Baron Münchhausen seem to be already solved, or am I overlooking something here? As I am not a Russian Speaker I would not work on the cyrillic ones as lethe already mentioned combining the editions is sometimes quite tricky.

message 22: by Іван (new)

Іван Синєпалов | 173 comments Oh yes, seems like somebody combined a few of entries of #13. Although all cyrillic editions (both Ukrainian and Russian) should also be combined. Some editions in other languages may be adaptations, so that was my mistake to inclued them here.

message 23: by Іван (new)

Іван Синєпалов | 173 comments As for Qur'an, again, both Ukrainian and Russian editions should be combined with all the others without a doubt.

All other entries include books mostly in English, so that should be easier.

message 24: by Іван (last edited Feb 07, 2022 07:56AM) (new)

Іван Синєпалов | 173 comments Only #7 is completed. Can anyone do the rest?

#1 is partially combined (it had 11 different entries, now it has only 10).
#2 is partially combined (it had 10 different entries, now it has only 8).
#9 is partially combined (it had 17 different entries, now it has only 6).
#10 is partially combined (it had 13 different entries, now it has only 6).
#11 is partially combined (it had 8 different entries, now it has only 7).
#13 is partially combined (it had 28 different entries, now it has only 7).

message 25: by Іван (new)

Іван Синєпалов | 173 comments Comment to bring up the thread.