SFF Hot from Printers: New Releases discussion

General > Post great book/magazine covers from 2020

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Oleksandr (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 1802 comments Mod
Bearing in mind that the majority of members are also take part in Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels group and among categories to nominate/vote are BEST PROFESSIONAL ARTIST and BEST FAN ARTIST, post here possible candidates

message 2: by *Tau* (last edited Sep 05, 2020 12:39AM) (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments Since no one reacts in this thread, I'll kick off ;-)

Up to now my favourite cover of the year is definitely the one of Flyaway:

Flyaway by Kathleen Jennings Cover art by Kathleen Jennings; design by Jaya Miceli (for more information look here and here).

Makes me think of antique cabinets that I sometimes see in musea/castles and really adore! The heart is the finishing touch that gives a feeling of creepiness to this otherwise lovely scene.

But the vibrant colors of Comet Weather also caught my attention:

Comet Weather by Liz Williams Cover Artist: Ian Whates (got the information here).

Not only do I love the covers of these books, but their titles are appealing to me as well.

message 3: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 576 comments Whoa, that one is really cool! I just don’t even know where to start. There are so many beautiful covers!

message 4: by *Tau* (last edited Sep 05, 2020 04:39AM) (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments Covers with black silhouettes can also seduce me.

Some 2020 examples that I don't only like to see, but want to read as well ;-):

Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales

Cursed An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales by Marie O'Regan The back cover says: "Design by Julia Lloyd, Images ©Shutterstock".

Asperfell

Asperfell by Jamie Thomas Cover illustration by Khristian M. Collins (cover reveal).

Did you notice the skull in the roots? Love it!

message 5: by Oleksandr (new)

*Tau* wrote: "Since no one reacts in this thread, I'll kick off ;-)

Up to now my favourite cover of the year is definitely the one of Flyaway:"

From what I understand the author is the illustrator as well, so it is possibly her work

message 6: by Oleksandr (new)

*Tau* wrote: "Did you notice the skull in the roots? Love it!"

Not at the first sight. There is a similar play here:
The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart by Jesse Bullington

message 7: by *Tau* (last edited Sep 04, 2020 07:46AM) (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments Kristen wrote: "Whoa, that one is really cool! I just don’t even know where to start. There are so many beautiful covers!"
:-D
So true!

Oleksandr wrote: "From what I understand the author is the illustrator as well, so it is possibly her work "
Thanks for this information, Oleksandr!
Will look it up during the weekend, when I have - hopefully - a bit more time ;-)

Oleksandr wrote: "Not at the first sight. There is a similar play here:
The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart by Jesse Bullington"

Really nice when covers hide things that aren't immediately visible to everyone ;-)
There's something on the cover of Pan's Labyrinth (https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/...) that only I remarked during the book club. Do you know what it is? ;-p

Oh, what a nice cover!
Especially because it works the other way round: the skull is immediately visible, but the rest of the picture not. Really well done :-D
Will look up the illustrator of this one too ;-)

message 8: by Eva (last edited Sep 04, 2020 06:52PM) (new)

Eva | 131 comments Here are my favorite 2020 covers so far:

The First Sister (The First Sister Trilogy, #1) by Linden A. Lewis
Wow. But maybe a little too perfectly designed - it makes me think this book won't be lively and emotionally engaging, but still very iconic.

Ruthie Fear by Maxim Loskutoff
This won't win because pencil drawings never do, but it's brilliant and very classy.

Architects of Memory (The Memory War, #1) by Karen Osborne
Love the dynamic pose and perspective, as well as the space-as-mystery aspect that gives me such a sense of wonder.

Savage Legion (Savage Rebellion, #1) by Matt Wallace
So bad-ass.

Ink & Sigil (Ink & Sigil, #1) by Kevin Hearne
One more in the style you mentioned above - seems to be a theme this year and I like it, too.

The Faithless Hawk (The Merciful Crow, #2) by Margaret Owen
Fantastic design, very stylish.

Ashes of the Sun (Burningblade & Silvereye, #1) by Django Wexler
He's standing on a giant hand - so cool!

House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1) by Sarah J. Maas
This may be my favorite - just a brilliant work of art and so beautiful, and full of tiny hidden details.

The Book of Dragons by Jonathan Strahan
Love the details - you see one big dragon at first, but it's actually full of many smaller ones, and then the way some are bright and others are dark is very pretty.

Chaos Vector (The Protectorate, #2) by Megan E. O'Keefe
Perfect design and - for once - an actually unique-looking space ship.

Paternus War of Gods (The Paternus Trilogy, #3) by Dyrk Ashton
Yes, please!

Or What You Will by Jo Walton
A book and figurine spray-painted with copper, with a subtle rainbow circle layer on top in photoshop - super easy to do really, but what great idea and result.

To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini
Perfect - can't wait to read this!

The Seventh Perfection by Daniel Polansky
I've just discovered this and upon looking at it closely: this is now my favorite! You've got to see the large image, it's so good.

Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky, #1) by Rebecca Roanhorse
I adore this creative cover!

message 9: by Eva (new)

Eva | 131 comments And I've just found more:
Havenfall (Havenfall, #1) by Sara Holland Unnatural Magic by C.M. Waggoner Seven Endless Forests by April Genevieve Tucholke

message 10: by *Tau* (last edited Sep 05, 2020 01:15AM) (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments Nice covers, Eva!
I especially liked the ones of Ashes of the Sun, The Book of Dragons, House of Earth and Blood and Ink & Sigil. That last one is more beautiful than the version I had on my TBR-list (Ink & Sigil).

Two covers I also like (both with circle theme):

The Order of the Pure Moon Reflected in Water
The Order of the Pure Moon Reflected in Water by Zen Cho Illustrator: Sija Hong (it is painted; you can see more of her work here).

The Sisters Grimm
The Sisters Grimm by Menna van Praag Title page and chapter opener illustrations by Galen Dara; Illustrations in Lagacy section by Abigail Larson (source).

Nice way of representing the 4 elements and the 4 sisters.
Did you see their faces in the inner circle?

message 11: by Oleksandr (last edited Sep 04, 2020 10:24PM) (new)

Great covers! Just to show what won this years Hugo
BEST PROFESSIONAL ARTIST - John Picacio https://johnpicacio.com/
We Are Where the Nightmares Go and Other Stories by C. Robert Cargill

BEST FAN ARTIST - Elise Matthesen - she doesn't draw, but makes jewelry https://www.etsy.com/shop/LionessElise

so, a general note - if you go seeking who was cover illustrator, please share the results

message 12: by *Tau* (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments Oleksandr wrote: "so, a general note - if you go seeking who was cover illustrator, please share the results "

As I don't want to flood this thread with double messages, I just edited two of my posts above already. The third one I'll update later (busy now) ;-)
Sometimes I add links to interesting articles sometimes to the artist's website or to the source where I found the information.

message 13: by Oleksandr (new)

*Tau* wrote: "As I don't want to flood this thread with double messages, I just edited two of my posts above already."

Thanks, Tau!

message 14: by *Tau* (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments Oleksandr wrote: "Thanks, Tau!"

You're welcome, Oleksandr ;-)
The third post is also edited now.

message 15: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 576 comments So, as already mentioned, I love this cover. To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini

And I agree with Tau that this is lovely. The Order of the Pure Moon Reflected in Water by Zen Cho

I also think this is quite nice. The Doors of Eden by Adrian Tchaikovsky

And this one quite tickles me. The Hidden Girl and Other Stories by Ken Liu

message 16: by *Tau* (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments Those are all beautiful covers too, Kristen.
Especially the one of The Hidden Girl and Other Stories, because of the colors and the fact that the girl isn't immediately visible :-)
The Hidden Girl and Other Stories by Ken Liu CoverDesigner: Richard Yoo Design

message 17: by Oleksandr (new)

*Tau* wrote: "Those are all beautiful covers too, Kristen.
Especially the one of The Hidden Girl and Other Stories, because of the colors and the fact that the girl isn't immediately visible :-)..."

yes, a nice play on the title

message 18: by Tony (new)

message 19: by Oleksandr (new)

About the hidden girl in
The Hidden Girl and Other Stories by Ken Liu
I just have met another book with a similar but different hidden girl
A Spectral Hue by Craig Laurance Gidney

message 20: by *Tau* (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments There are girls hidden everywhere!
Nice cover btw :-D

Now that I think about it, the cover of the book of Ken Liu makes me think of an artwork I once saw. Have to look it up though, because I don't know the artist's name by heart.

message 21: by *Tau* (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments Found it!
The artwork is called "Gleaming Lights of the Souls" and is made by Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama. I saw it a few years ago in the Louisiana Museum in Denmark (don't know if it's still there or if it was temporary). Absolutely marvellous!

The walls and ceiling are made of mirrors and you can walk till the middle of the artwork. But if you don't want your feet to get wet, you'd better not wander around, because there's a fine layer of water all around you to create reflections.
There are many lamps hanging from the ceiling and they regularly change color. All those lamps (and you of course) are reflected by the mirrors and the water and give you a magical feeling of infinity.

If you want to see how it looked like, you can take a look at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnRip... or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gjyL...
Or here is the official video of the museum (where you can see the lamps a bit better): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sVxo...
Do you want to see how it was like from the outside? Well, you had to look really well for it, because it was hidden behind a door with the same color as the white wall. Here you can see someone discovering it (camerawork is a little bit unsteady): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHgbL...

message 22: by *Tau* (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments Utopia Avenue from author David Mitchell was published this year too.

The cover of the English version isn't particularly nice imho:
Utopia Avenue by David Mitchell

But I just discovered the cover of the Dutch version and that's definitely love at first sight!

Utopia Avenue by David Mitchell

It makes me think of a caleidoscope 😊

message 23: by *Tau* (last edited Nov 11, 2020 01:35PM) (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments Love the cover of the newest book of Jeff VanderMeer: Hummingbird Salamander!
(but the story is less appealing to me)

Hummingbird Salamander by Jeff VanderMeer

message 24: by Oleksandr (new)

*Tau* wrote: "Hummingbird Salamander by Jeff VanderMeer"

Cool!