Maryse's Book Blog WolfPack/Bridesmaids Meeting Place discussion

2020 Challenges & Buddy Reads > September 2020 ~ Themes Challenge ~ Leslie's Pick

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (last edited Sep 01, 2020 06:42PM) (new)

Robin Hill (robinhill) | 1528 comments I found Grey's original themes challenge post and this month belongs to Leslie!

Leslie's choice ~ The Name Game! Use the first letter of your first name and pick a title that starts with that letter. Or a book where author's name (first or last) starts with that letter.

Per Grey:

This will be the discussion thread for all our September Challenge books we read this month. You can read as many as you'd like, but please let me know which one you're picking!

What we do need is for you to sign up, and let us know you intend to participate before the 5th of September and then, (this is the important part), come back and let us how you rated it or what you thought of it before 1159 p.m. of the last day of the month. That's it. Pretty simple, really.

(The last time we did this, we all used our massive TBR piles and made it a rule that this was a TBR challenge...I'm forgoing that rule this time, because-fun! I want this to be fun and not a slog to get through, you know? However, you certainly can stick to that rule, if you want to.)

Each month that you participate and finish on/before the last day of the month, you will get your name added to a list that will be eligible to be randomly selected from at the beginning of 2021 for a $10 Amazon gift card.

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments I'm going to knock out one of my NetGalley reads and pick Making Turquoise by Claire McFall

message 3: by T. (new)

T. Rosado (trosado) | 338 comments I'm reading Today Tonight Tomorrow by Rachel Lynn Solomon
Today Tonight Tomorrow by Rachel Lynn Solomon

message 4: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments I’m in Robin, just have to choose

message 5: by Marta (new)

Marta | 134 comments Me

message 6: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments Make Me Hate You this is what I have decided upon. Unless something else comes up.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (storpey) | 35 comments Stripped by Zoey Castile for me! Have meant to read as part of Nana Malone’s brown nipple challenge anyway!

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments I am choosing an oldie from my list (from back in 2016) - Love's Composure by Priya Grey

message 9: by Catia (new)

Catia (kookay) | 197 comments I´m reading Credence by Penelope Douglas

message 10: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1708 comments I'm in, I just have to search for a J book ;) I still need to read last months book :-/

message 11: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments I'm in, still need to pick a book though!

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I'm in even though I didnt read last month's. I'm a bad book buddy. 🙁 *slaps self on wrist*

I'm going to try: Evie Drake Starts Over Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes (author's name begins with L so it works!)

However, I do reserve the right to dnf if I dont like it. 😉

*crosses fingers*

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Jean wrote: "I'm in, still need to pick a book though!"

Jean, what about something by Jewel Ann? I know most of you guys go crazy for her.

message 14: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments Leslie wrote: "I'm in even though I didnt read last month's. I'm a bad book buddy. 🙁 *slaps self on wrist*

I'm going to try: Evie Drake Starts Over Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes (author's name beg..."

Leslie, give it a little time. It's a slow starter....at least IMO. But I liked it a lot once it started rolling.

message 15: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Thanks Michele! I will give it an honest shot. 🙂

message 16: by T. (new)

T. Rosado (trosado) | 338 comments Leslie wrote: "Thanks Michele! I will give it an honest shot. 🙂"

Leslie, that's one of my favorite books from last year. Loved it!, but it is more women's fic (less romance) and I know that might be an issue for you. Also, I didn't think it started slow, because I loved the build-up in the writing, but I'm a women's fic fan.

message 17: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1708 comments Jean wrote: "I'm in, still need to pick a book though!"

Jean, at first I was thinking I'd never find a J book, lol...but there are some good (imo) authors that start with J...you can check out my shelf if you are interested :) when I joined here, oddly I set up my shelves by author name and not genre...anyhoo,
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 18: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1708 comments I am going with The Jackal The Jackal (Black Dagger Brotherhood Prison Camp, #1; Black Dagger Legacy, #5) by J.R. Ward (since I just got it from the library ;-])

message 19: by Marta (new)

Marta | 134 comments I have a few options:
Muscle Memory by Stylo Fantome or My Oxford Year by Julia Whelan or Most of All You by Mia Sheridan or My Torin by K. Webster

Now I just have to choose ;)

message 20: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Well, I haven't been able to read or do much of anything for the past 7 weeks since my accident to be honest. Hoping that I'll be able to get back at it this month... I have ZERO ideas for this challenge... must ponder the situation.

message 21: by Robin (new)

Robin Hill (robinhill) | 1528 comments I don't have a clue what to read for this one either!

message 22: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikkitikkitavi) | 63 comments I'm in with Nine (Boyle Heights, #3) by Elizabeth Reyes .

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin Hill (robinhill) | 1528 comments Robin wrote: "I don't have a clue what to read for this one either!"

OK I'm either doing Roommaid or Rocket Science. Whichever one grabs me first!

message 24: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments Most of All YouOkay, I’ve changed my mind now I’m going to read

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments Finished Love's Composure by Priya Grey , It was a 3 star read for me. The storyline was really good, I just didn't care of the way the story was told. I need much more depth. It may just be because the story spans 30+ years, but I felt like we just went from point A to point B and I was told what to take from the story rather than shown.

message 26: by Catia (new)

Catia (kookay) | 197 comments I finished Credence by Penelope Douglas and gave it 3 stars... from the middle of the book it started being too much for me...but I just couldn´t stop reading just to know how it ended.

message 27: by Denise (new)

Denise | 45 comments I'm in just need to think a minute

message 28: by Denise (new)

Denise | 45 comments I'm going to read
Dirty Headlines by LJ Shen

message 29: by Nay (last edited Sep 11, 2020 04:45PM) (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I'm going to go by my REAL first name and read:

The Savior (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #17) by J.R. Ward The Savior by J.R. Ward

(it's Suzanne, btw)

message 30: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1708 comments I finished The Jackal (Black Dagger Brotherhood Prison Camp, #1; Black Dagger Legacy, #5) by J.R. Ward 3.5⭐️ it was good but I hated the h 😡

message 31: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I finished Evie Drake Starts Over Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes

I liked that is wasnt super emotional (I am not in frame of mind for tearjerker) and the progression of friends to lovers. What I didnt like was pretty much everything else. ☹ The non 1st person pov killed me and it felt long and too descriptive for me.

3 ***

message 32: by Robin (new)

Robin Hill (robinhill) | 1528 comments Leslie wrote: "I finished Evie Drake Starts Over Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes

I liked that is wasnt super emotional (I am not in frame of mind for tearjerker) and the progression of friends to lo..."

Oooh I didn't even think about the 3rd person. I don't like that either, but I'm ok if I listen to it and love the narrator.

I just finished The Happy Ever After Playlist and thought of you. It was super swoony, first person, and tear free.

message 33: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Robin wrote: "Leslie wrote: "I finished Evie Drake Starts Over Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes

I liked that is wasnt super emotional (I am not in frame of mind for tearjerker) and the progression o..."

Thanks Robin! I just put audiobook on hold at library. 🙂

message 34: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments Melinda wrote: "Most of All YouOkay, I’ve changed my mind now I’m going to read"

I finished 4 stars for me.

message 35: by T. (new)

T. Rosado (trosado) | 338 comments Leslie wrote: "I finished Evie Drake Starts Over Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes

I liked that is wasnt super emotional (I am not in frame of mind for tearjerker) and the progression of friends to lo..."

I warned you, Leslie. 😂 Ironically, everything you didn’t like are things I loved about the book plus some! I love third person, I love descriptive writing, and it could have been longer and I wouldn’t have complained. 😂😂😂. Now, I’m even more prepared for what not to pick if I get your name again. You gotta love how different people’s reading tastes are! ☺️

message 36: by T. (new)

T. Rosado (trosado) | 338 comments This should have been an ideal read for me: enemies-to-love, young adult, Seattle setting, rom-com. Unfortunately, it really, really wasn’t. I probably should have dnf’d, but was half-way through before I realized it wasn’t going to improve. Since I was mostly listening, I decided to hammer through.

Today Tonight Tomorrow by Rachel Lynn Solomon 2 Stars ☹️

message 37: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments Robin wrote: "Leslie wrote: "I finished Evie Drake Starts Over Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes

I liked that is wasnt super emotional (I am not in frame of mind for tearjerker) and the progression o..."

I second Robin's recommendation about The_Happy_Ever_After_Playlist . Such a wonderful book!!

message 38: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments I finished my read... Making Turquoise by Claire McFall

What a wonderful "mature YA" read...I don't know exactly what it was, but this book struck a chord for me. It was sad (so it's a no go for Leslie) but it was hopeful at the same time. Hard to explain but a really good read from an author I knew nothing about. I gave it 5*...might have been a little too high but I was feeling generous last night.

message 39: by Denise (new)

Denise | 45 comments I Finished My Book
Dirty Headlines by LJ Shen. I ended up loving this book. The only problem I had was trying to figure out how to pronounce the Boss's name! 😂 But, other than that it was Great. 5 stars for me

message 40: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments Michele wrote: "Robin wrote: "Leslie wrote: "I finished Evie Drake Starts Over Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes

I liked that is wasnt super emotional (I am not in frame of mind for tearjerker) and the..."

I loved this book too. Read it last night after you were all gushing about it. Loved it. Told my hubby, it was my Granny book, so pure. And just a feel good one. ❤️

message 41: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Boop, boop... Because Robin was amazing and picked up the charge when my phone took a dip in the drink, here's the update:

Cátia ~ Credence by Penelope Douglas 3 stars-Sep;
Denise ~ Dirty Headlines by L.J. Shen 5 stars-Sep;
Jean ~ in...no book choice?
Judy ~ The Jackal (Black Dagger Brotherhood Prison Camp, #1; Black Dagger Legacy, #5) by J.R. Ward 3.5 stars-Sep;
Leslie ~ Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes 3 stars-Sep;
Lisa A ~ Love's Composure by Priya Grey 3 stars-Sep;
Marta ~ in several choices pending?
Melinda ~ Most of All You by Mia Sheridan 4 stars-Sep;
Michele ~ Making Turquoise by Claire McFall 5 stars-Sep;
Nay ~ The Savior (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #17) by J.R. Ward
Nicole ~ Nine (Boyle Heights, #3) by Elizabeth Reyes
Robin ~ Roommaid by Sariah Wilson or Rocket Science by Emily Mayer
Sarah ~ Stripped (Happy Endings, #1) by Zoey Castile
T ~ Today Tonight Tomorrow by Rachel Lynn Solomon 2 stars-Sep;

message 42: by Marta (new)

Marta | 134 comments Oh, I chose and I'm still reading Muscle Memory by Stylo Fantome

message 43: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Hi Grey! I'm actually reading Naughty Neighbor by Jeannine Colette right now as my pick and LOVING it!!!!

message 44: by Robin (new)

Robin Hill (robinhill) | 1528 comments Grey wrote: "Boop, boop... Because Robin was amazing and picked up the charge when my phone took a dip in the drink, here's the update:

Cátia ~ Credence by Penelope Douglas 3 stars-Sep;
Denise ~ Roommaid by Sariah Wilson and gave it 5 stars!

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (storpey) | 35 comments Finished Cinder. 4 ⭐️. Will be reading the rest of the series for sure.

message 46: by Marta (new)

Marta | 134 comments Basically today I'm getting a look around my challenges :S, and I read one book back in september with an author's name (first or last) that starts with my first letter.

Drive Me Wild (Bellamy Creek #1) by Melanie Harlow : 2,5* everything happens sooo fast that I skipped a lot of pages. I really like this author but this one miss the mark.