Maryse's Book Blog WolfPack/Bridesmaids Meeting Place discussion

2020 Challenges & Buddy Reads > September 2020 ~ Pick-for-Me Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Robin (last edited Sep 01, 2020 06:45PM) (new)

Robin Hill (robinhill) | 1528 comments Hey guys. If you want to participate in September's PFM, go ahead and submit your links on this thread and hopefully Grey will be back tomorrow to draw. If not one of us can do it and she can add her magic touch when she returns.

Per Grey (with edits):

Lurkers...first time newbies...anyone, feel free to join! Especially right now when we're all feeling the strain of too much time stuck at home under the COVID-19 quarantine.

This challenge has endured the test of time in our group because it is definitely the most fun! Feel free to participate each month, or when your schedule allows. We're not picky, we love seeing you when you can!

The How-to
1. Create a new shelf, or update an existing shelf on your Goodreads profile, that includes approximately 20 books that you would like to have someone else use to pick a book for you to read. Label it "Pick For Me." Only books from this designated shelf will be selected for this challenge, (no matter how badly some of us want to pick something else...hint hint, pick-happy moppets...*giggle*)!

2. Post in this thread that you want to participate this month. If you don't post here, I won't necessarily remember that you want in.

3. Provide the link to your Pick For Me shelf, (this will make it a bit easier for all parties involved... unless you all really *want* to read Harry Potter Fanfic. 🤣 *a new month, a new pick from me!*) This is really important, especially this month. I want to make sure that the link to everyone's shelves hasn't changed... check your link below and if it's good, you're good:) If you're having difficulty finding the link to your shelf, please let me know.

4. On September 1st (or shortly thereafter), someone will use the randomizer to pair up everyone. (Or worst case scenario, I really will just do the old making of a list on a piece of paper and draw lines between everyone, and you *know* what that means, *shifty eyes* see above for my pick for the month, LOL!)

5. Friend your partner who is picking for you or set your profile to public or your partner will not be able to access your shelf.

6. Post your selection for your partner in this thread.

7. Come back after finishing the book selected for you by your partner (even if it's after the month has ended) and let everybody know what you think about it, or at least that you've finished...or DNF'd it (another book off your list is always a win in our book!)

**The sign up period will remain open until pairs are posted on September 1st-ish and you'll have until September 4th-ish to select a book for your partner or one of these other scavengers will swoop in and do it for you.**

message 2: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (marissadonofrio) | 169 comments Thanks, Robin! I’m in🙋🏼‍♀️

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 3: by Layne (new)

Layne | 146 comments Thanks for putting this together, Robin! I’m in! https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 7: by diann bryan (new)

diann bryan | 179 comments I’m so behind with my reading.I will skip this month

message 8: by Marta (last edited Sep 02, 2020 02:03PM) (new)

Marta | 134 comments Me but i'll put my link later

message 9: by Nay (last edited Sep 03, 2020 04:58PM) (new)

message 12: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Me too please! Thanks Robin!

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin Hill (robinhill) | 1528 comments Hey guys. I'm going to draw names for this challenge at 4 pm cst today, so if you notice anyone's missing, please let them know.

message 14: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments Robin wrote: "Hey guys. I'm going to draw names for this challenge at 4 pm cst today, so if you notice anyone's missing, please let them know."

Thanks Robin!

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin Hill (robinhill) | 1528 comments I messaged Michelle S, Jenn, Teri, Leslie, and Melinda and tagged Julia, Nicole, Ela, Donna, Jen, T, Lynette, and Zilpha in my FB group.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments By the way, I hesitate to ask because it can be awkward, but where is Grey? Is everything okay? Hopefully she's just vacationing and I missed seeing her cabana photos posted!!!

message 17: by Robin (new)

Robin Hill (robinhill) | 1528 comments Lisa wrote: "By the way, I hesitate to ask because it can be awkward, but where is Grey? Is everything okay? Hopefully she's just vacationing and I missed seeing her cabana photos posted!!!"

We're not sure. A few of us messaged her and haven't heard back yet. She hasn't been online in a couple of weeks from what I can tell. She sometimes takes FB breaks so I'm hoping that's all it is and she just lost track of time.

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikkitikkitavi) | 63 comments Count me in, Please. I am still reading my August PFM, but want to do Sept. Thank you.

message 19: by Robin (last edited Sep 03, 2020 11:44AM) (new)

Robin Hill (robinhill) | 1528 comments In case you haven't heard, Grey is back after a quick hiatus in which her cell phone went for a swim. 😆 She is currently safe, barring I don't strangle her for scaring me to death! One of us will draw names at some point today (on or after 4pm CST).

ETA: Grey is going to do the drawing herself, but it will be this evening at the earliest so you still have time to post your lists!

message 20: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (marissadonofrio) | 169 comments She sent quite a few of us into the worry zone! Glad she’s ok! I told her she’s so obviously loved!😘♥️

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments Phew...glad all is okay for our lil Grey!!!

message 23: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
*peeks in* Hiiii! *tosses all the glitter one handed*

Okay, I'm so sorry. So, the short-ish story. My phone took a dip in the drink, and Verizon took a LONG time sending me a new (refurbed)one. Also, at the same time, well, it was before, but not noticed until my phone went kaput... my son moved the modem for our home internet because he needed better service in his room to play his Xbox...well, that didn't work, because the wires didn't get plugged in right and took out our internet to the house... Welcome to 2020, the technology f***ing sucks edition!

I'm gonna randomize everyone now!

message 24: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments I’m in, I’m in, glad you’re okay Grey, that’s the main thing!

message 25: by Grey (last edited Sep 03, 2020 05:34PM) (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Pick for Me Challenge!!!

Lurkers...first time newbies...anyone, feel free to join! Especially right now when we're all feeling the strain of too much time stuck at home under the COVID-19 quarantine.

This challenge has endured the test of time in our group because it is definitely the most fun! Feel free to participate each month, or when your schedule allows. We're not picky, we love seeing you when you can!

The How-to
1. Create a new shelf, or update an existing shelf on your Goodreads profile, that includes approximately 20 books that you would like to have someone else use to pick a book for you to read. Label it "Pick For Me." Only books from this designated shelf will be selected for this challenge, (no matter how badly some of us want to pick something else...hint hint, pick-happy moppets...*giggle*)!

2. Post in this thread that you want to participate this month. If you don't post here, I won't necessarily remember that you want in.

3. Provide the link to your Pick For Me shelf, (this will make it a bit easier for all parties involved... unless you all really *want* to read Life of Anna. *a new month, a new pick from me!*) Check your link below and if it's good, you're good:) If you're having difficulty finding the link to your shelf, please let me know.

4. Today, *cough,cough* someone...the hand of fate, maybe, *cough, cough* will use the randomizer to pair up everyone. (Or worst case scenario, I really will just do the old making of a list on a piece of paper and draw lines between everyone, and you *know* what that means, *shifty eyes* see above for my pick for the month, LOL!)

5. Friend your partner who is picking for you or set your profile to public or your partner will not be able to access your shelf.

6. Post your selection for your partner in this thread.

7. Come back after finishing the book selected for you by your partner (even if it's after the month has ended) and let everybody know what you think about it, or at least that you've finished...or DNF'd it (another book off your list is always a win in our book!)

**The sign up period will remain open until pairs are posted on September 3rd and you'll have until September 6th to select a book for your partner or one of these other scavengers will swoop in and do it for you.** Sorry for the delay, and thanks Robin for taking up the charge here!

Sample shelf: Grey's Pick For Me

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~

Layne picks for Marta; she picked ~ Marta rated it

Nicole picks for Robin; she picked ~ Robin rated it

Lisa picks for Melinda she picked ~ Melinda rated it

Jean picks for Grey; she picked ~ Grey rated it

Robin picks for Nicole; she picked Nine Minutes (Nine Minutes, #1) by Beth Flynn ~ Nicole rated it

Melinda picks for Layne; she picked ~ Layne rated it

Nay picks for Marissa; she picked ~ Marissa rated it

T. picks for Jean; she picked ~ Jean rated it

Marta picks for Judy; she picked ~ Judy rated it

Marissa picks for T.; she picked November 9 by Colleen Hoover ~ T. rated it

Michele picks for Cátia; she picked ~ Cátia rated it

Judy picks for Lisa; she picked ~ Lisa rated it

Grey picks for Michele; she picked Sea of Ruin by Pam Godwin ~ Michele rated it

Cátia picks for Nay; she picked ~ Nay rated it

message 26: by Robin (new)

Robin Hill (robinhill) | 1528 comments Nicole I've only read a couple on your list and loved them both but they're first in series and I didn't finish, so I'm going with Nine Minutes. It sounds fantastic and a TON of my GR friends gave it 5 stars! I may have to add it myself!

message 27: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Wow, Michele, this was actually really difficult. Like...super difficult.

Naturally, after pouring over your list, I reverted to the age-old, eenie-meanie-miney-moe method. I'm insanely curious about this book myself. Sea of Ruin by Pam Godwin , so please let me know what you think.

message 28: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (marissadonofrio) | 169 comments T. wrote: "I’m in;

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list..."

Hi T! Me again 😜 My pick for you is November 9 by Colleen Hoover ! Can never go wrong with CoHo! Hope you enjoy!

message 29: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Marissa wrote:

Hi T! Me again 😜

Random.org isn't so random, apparently, LOL!

message 30: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Marissa--I always love it when this book is on someone's list, because it makes for an automatic pick.

For you, I pick:

Bright Side (Bright Side, #1) by Kim Holden by Kim Holden

Enjoy and have the kleenex handy!

message 31: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments Layne, you have a few I have read. Quite a few good ones.

So my pick for you is Heartbreak Warfare
I loved this book. I hope you do too.

message 32: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikkitikkitavi) | 63 comments Robin, You have an interesting array of books on your shelf. There are some that I have had onnmy TBR forna while now. Since Inhave not read most of them, I am going with one of my favorite authors for your pick. Paper Hearts (Hearts, #2) by Claire Contreras Claire Contreras jas quite the way with a story. I loved this series and the beautiful covers. I hope you enjoy Paper Hearts. 😍

message 33: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1708 comments Lisa wrote: "I'm in please

Hey Lisa! Ok, so you have a great list! :) I've only read a few and although it was a tough decision, I'm going with Marrow by Tarryn Fisher Hope you love it :)
ps...just as a back up, if you hate it and want to read another, I'd go with Flock

message 34: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1708 comments Grey wrote: "*peeks in* Hiiii! *tosses all the glitter one handed*

Okay, I'm so sorry. So, the short-ish story. My phone took a dip in the drink, and Verizon took a LONG time sending me a new (refurbed)one. Al..."

that sucks Grey! glad you're absence was just technical difficulties ;)

message 35: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments Grey wrote: "Wow, Michele, this was actually really difficult. Like...super difficult.

Naturally, after pouring over your list, I reverted to the age-old, eenie-meanie-miney-moe method. I'm insanely curious a..."

Grey, I don't make it easy with 30 odd books on my PFM list...but I'm excited to check that one out! Thanks for the pick!

message 36: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1708 comments Nay wrote: "Marissa--I always love it when this book is on someone's list, because it makes for an automatic pick.

For you, I pick:

Enjoy and have the kleenex..."

Marissa, you're in for a treat! this is my most worstest ugliest cry, lol...maybe have some wine handy...or tequila, whatever works ;)

so many great pics already!

message 37: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments Catia, my pick for you is super easy! Someday, Someday by Emma Scott is a beautiful book! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!

message 38: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (marissadonofrio) | 169 comments Judy.Ca wrote: "Nay wrote: "Marissa--I always love it when this book is on someone's list, because it makes for an automatic pick.

For you, I pick:

Enjoy and have..."

Tequila 🤣

message 39: by T. (new)

T. Rosado (trosado) | 338 comments Marissa wrote: "T. wrote: "I’m in;

Hi T! Me again 😜 My pick for you is November 9 by Colleen Hoover! Can never go wro..."

I can't believe I've never made the time for this one. Thanks, Marissa!

message 40: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1708 comments Marissa wrote: "Judy.Ca wrote: "Nay wrote: "Marissa--I always love it when this book is on someone's list, because it makes for an automatic pick.

For you, I pick:

Bright Side (Bright Side, #1) by Kim Holden by Kim Holden..."

Yay! Enjoy, can't wait to see what you think

message 41: by T. (new)

T. Rosado (trosado) | 338 comments Jean wrote: "Me too please! Thanks Robin!

Jean, since I know you share my love of Renee Carlino's latest books, I'm choosing this for you:
Wish You Were Here by Renee Carlino

message 42: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1708 comments Marta wrote: "Me but i'll put my link later

I added you Marta :) sorry, my acct is set to private :-/

message 43: by Layne (new)

Layne | 146 comments Melinda wrote: "Layne, you have a few I have read. Quite a few good ones.

I loved this book. I hope you do too."

Thanks, Melinda! I’m looking forward to it even though I’m a little afraid of it 😬😜

Marta, for you I pick Sparrow by L.J. Shen It’s been a few years since I’ve read it, but I loved it so much. Enjoy!

message 44: by Robin (new)

Robin Hill (robinhill) | 1528 comments Nicole wrote: "Robin, You have an interesting array of books on your shelf. There are some that I have had onnmy TBR forna while now. Since Inhave not read most of them, I am going with one of my favorite authors..."

Thanks Nicole! I can't wait to start it!

message 45: by Catia (new)

Catia (kookay) | 197 comments T. wrote: "Marissa wrote: "T. wrote: "I’m in;

Hi T! Me again 😜 My pick for you is November 9 by Colleen Hoover! ..."

I loved that book!!!!

message 46: by Catia (new)

Catia (kookay) | 197 comments Michele wrote: "Catia, my pick for you is super easy! Someday, Someday by Emma Scott is a beautiful book! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!"

Thanks so much for this pick!

message 47: by Catia (new)

Catia (kookay) | 197 comments Nay my pick for you is The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham , I haven´t read it but I saw the movie and I just loved it. Hope you enjoy it.

message 48: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments Layne wrote: "Melinda wrote: "Layne, you have a few I have read. Quite a few good ones.

I loved this book. I hope you do too."
you will love it. One of my favs .

Thanks, Melinda! I’m l..."

message 49: by Marta (new)

Marta | 134 comments Judy i pick for you On the Rocks (Becker Brothers, #1) by Kandi Steiner . Curious to know what you think about 😉😊

message 50: by Marta (last edited Sep 04, 2020 05:30AM) (new)

Marta | 134 comments Thank you Layne,i really need this one for a challenge so it was the perfect pick 😁

« previous 1