Retro Reads discussion

Green Grass of Wyoming (Flicka, #3)
This topic is about Green Grass of Wyoming
Group Reads > Green Grass of Wyoming Sept. 2020, Ch.21-46

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hana (new)

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
"Carey was in the delightful state of mind that any girl is in when two handsome and attractive boys vie for her favor and there is always someone, a male someone, looking at her."

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 1634 comments Mod
Hana wrote: ""Carey was in the delightful state of mind that any girl is in when two handsome and attractive boys vie for her favor and there is always someone, a male someone, looking at her.""

Both Nell and Ken (view spoiler)

message 3: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1946 comments I think that back in The Old Days people did tend to look ahead more, and faster, when it came to marriage and commitment. It was at least somewhat normal, especially in rural or isolated communities, for a late teenager to be thinking of what he wanted in the near future with regard to spouse and family and home The waiting part was more for financial reasons than any other. That it's not normal now was brought home to me a few months ago when my 20 year old grandson mentioned having a wife and kids by 25, and it seemed young. My own dad was 27 when I was born (my mom was 19), and that seemed rather old, not only to me but to him, too!

message 4: by Hana (last edited Sep 11, 2020 02:04PM) (new)

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
It's very much in Ken's nature to fall in love fast and hard, and as Rob says in that delightful scene in Chapter 19 "Ken, you must remember, has a one-track mind....He's a lad of one idea. He takes hold and he can't let go."

That scene with Rob and Nell and Howard always makes me laugh, especially the part about the canaries. Nell explained that when Ken was five and Howard seven the grammar school project was raising canaries and Ken "...heard all the talk about males and females and began to beg "But I want I little freemale--couldn't I have a little freemale all of my own?"

Of course, as Howard guessed, Ken got his "little freemale" and more. Howard's parting comment "First the canary, then the filly, and now another little freemale!" sums up his brother perfectly.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 1634 comments Mod
This book had a slowish start for me, but has now picked up & I am loving it. What a gift O'Hara had for crating her world.!

message 6: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1946 comments I'm just dying to use "freemale" somewhere, but since you guys are the only people I know who've read this, it's a limited word...