2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > November Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (last edited Sep 01, 2020 09:38AM) (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4650 comments Hi everyone!

It's time to nominate for November, the theme is Zodiac.

~Please remember to state a connection to the theme when you nominate.

~Books we have read less than three years ago are not eligble. To see which books are not eligble, see this google sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

~ Each person can nominate 1 book.

~ Book must be available both as a physical copy and as an ebook.

~ Authors: Please do not nominate your own book.

~ Please do not nominate books that are part of a series, unless it is the first book.

~ You can second someone else's nomination, but that will count as your nomination.

This thread will be closed by September 26th, and we will choose ten books for the poll. If there are more than ten books nominated, we will choose "seconded" books first. If there is still a tie to get into the top ten, we'll go back to the Goodreads average rating to see which is highest.

message 2: by Alaina (new)

Alaina (ameserole) | 255 comments hmmm I will nominate Zodiac by Romina Russell.

message 3: by Karin (new)

Karin | 200 comments I will second Zodiac---its on TBR list , already seen the movie

message 4: by Samantha (new)

Samantha King | 248 comments I'll nominate The Zodiac Killer.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (deegardiner3) I'll second Zodiac Killer

message 6: by Ashleigh (last edited Sep 01, 2020 05:01PM) (new)

Ashleigh Motbey | 1080 comments I'd like to nominate The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater because Scorpio is a sign of the zodiac :)

message 7: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 1 comments I nominate Libra, by Don DeLillo, because it’s my Zodiac sign.

message 8: by Sean (new)

Sean (fordest) | 294 comments Bobby wrote: "I nominate Libra, by Don DeLillo, because it’s my Zodiac sign."

I will second Libra. I hope this is ok even though I am a Taurus....

message 9: by Alekhya (new)

Alekhya Suma | 81 comments I'll second The Scorpio Races

message 10: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4114 comments I would like to nominate Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson, because zodiac -> stars -> astrophysics ;)

message 11: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3252 comments I'll third The Scorpio Races :)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1021 comments I think I'll nominate

Zodiac by Neal Stephenson
Zodiac by Neal Stephenson

The name of the book, of course, is the connection to this month's theme although in this case the title refers to a Zodiac inflatable boat, not constellations or fortune-telling. The book itself is one of Stephenson's earliest novels and has been described as an "eco-thriller."

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1021 comments Karin wrote: "I will second Zodiac---its on TBR list , already seen the movie"

Just a quick FYI, the Zodiac movie is based on the book written by Robert Graysmith, not the book that was nominated that was written by Romina Russell. Graysmith's book is a non-fiction account of the hunt for San Francisco's notorious Zodiac killer, whereas Russell's book is a young adult science fiction romance novel that begins a 4-book series.

message 14: by Nikoletta (new)

Nikoletta | 2 comments Ι would like to nominate "Zodiac Academy: The Awakening" by Caroline Peckham.

message 15: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 5604 comments Sean wrote: "Bobby wrote: "I nominate Libra, by Don DeLillo, because it’s my Zodiac sign."

I will second Libra. I hope this is ok even though I am a Taurus...."

@Sean
Haha, thank you making me laugh.

message 16: by The (new)

The (the_little_scholar) | 14 comments I would like to nominate Skyward by Brandon Sanderson, set in outer space :)

aub.downtherabbithole (aubdowntherabbithole) I'd like to nominate Bitter Aries by Paul Sating.

It is the first of the zodiac series. Each main character represents the personality trait of the zodiac signs. 1-3 were released earlier in the year and the fourth, will release in October.

message 18: by Julia (new)

Julia | 8 comments I'd like to second the Zodiac Killer.

message 19: by Karin (new)

Karin | 200 comments Karin wrote: "I will second Zodiac---its on TBR list , already seen the movie"

Just a quick FYI, the Zodiac movie is based on the book written by Robert Graysmith, not the book that was nominated that was written by Romina Russell. Graysmith's book is a non-fiction account of the hunt for San Francisco's notorious Zodiac killer, whereas Russell's book is a young adult science fiction romance novel that begins a 4-book series.

reply | flag *

Ill still vote this one , thanks !

message 20: by Eirelyn (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments I'll fourth The Scorpio Races. I've loved The Raven Cycle so far, and I'm interested to read more from Maggie Stiefvater. :D

message 21: by Lisanne (last edited Sep 05, 2020 09:25AM) (new)

Lisanne (wolffhoofd) | 101 comments I’ll fifth (?) The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. Read this one years ago, but don’t remember much about it so it’d be nice to reread it :)

message 22: by Marisa (new)

Marisa | 20 comments I vote on The Scorpio Races.

message 23: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4650 comments Thank you all, great nominations!

message 24: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4650 comments I nominate Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky because I was reminded of it when I thought of the theme Zodiac. It has also been on my shelf for a long time now xD

message 25: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Ray | 604 comments I nominate A Constellation of Vital Phenomena since the sun signs are based on constellations.

message 26: by Eva (new)

Eva I nominate The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton which I love and which has won the Booker prize.

Everything that happens in the book is based on the star charts of the small town in New Zealand in the 19th century during the time it is set. Every person represents a planet in the star chart, every location a house, the question of zodiac twins is a central theme, etc.

Plus you get to read a wonderful and subtly romantic gothic mystery featuring Western, Chinese and Maori characters with the gold rush frontier mentality as a background.

message 27: by Yana (new)

Yana Petrovska | 113 comments Second Children of Time, though I'm not sure what does it have to do with Zodiac

message 28: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4650 comments Yana wrote: "Second Children of Time, though I'm not sure what does it have to do with Zodiac"

Nothing probably except I thought of it because of space and then I thought of stars. A connection really can be anything you connect it with even if it's not obvious.

message 29: by Nusha (new)

Nusha | 30 comments I second "the luminaries".

message 30: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4650 comments Closing nominations now. Thanks all!

message 31: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4650 comments Poll opening later today!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/5...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.