Play Book Tag discussion

Alexander Hamilton
This topic is about Alexander Hamilton
August 2020: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 4033 comments Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow - 5 stars - My Review

Through hard work, ambition, and education, Alexander Hamilton rose from poverty and adverse circumstances to become one of the founding fathers of the US. This book covers Hamilton’s humble beginnings in the Caribbean islands, early immigration to the US, role as trusted aide to George Washington, heroism at Yorktown, position as Secretary of the Treasury, authorship of The Federalist Papers, and contribution to the creation of a national bank. It illuminates his political opposition to Jefferson, Madison, Adams, Monroe, and Burr. It includes personal attributes, such as marriage to Elizabeth Schuyler, abolitionist views, involvement in America’s first sex scandal, and staunch defense of his integrity. This last is interesting in that he would rather put his marital infidelity on display than be perceived as lacking integrity in his political office. And, of course, it plays into his dramatic duel with Aaron Burr.

I had high expectations of this acclaimed biography and all were met or exceeded. I listened to the audio version, fluidly read by Scott Brick. Audio is a satisfying way to experience this book. Though it took 36 hours, it engaged my interest throughout. Detailed and descriptive, Chernow gives the reader a sense of the strengths and weaknesses of the man and his dedication to ensuring the endurance of the US constitution. I felt like I got to know what Alexander Hamilton was like as a person and learned more about this consequential period in American history.

message 2: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3824 comments Dang, 36 hours. I feel like everyone who read this should get a gold star at the end.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7783 comments I also did the audio version earlier this year and loved it! Scott Brick is awesome.

I want to listen to Washington: A Life, also by Chernow and read by Brick, but at 42 hours I need to mentally prepare for it. lol

Joy D | 4033 comments Joi wrote: "Dang, 36 hours. I feel like everyone who read this should get a gold star at the end."
Too funny. It did not seem that long, though. Scott Brick is an excellent reader. I'm a history nerd, so that helped.

Joy D | 4033 comments Nicole R wrote: "I also did the audio version earlier this year and loved it! Scott Brick is awesome.

I want to listen to Washington: A Life, also by Chernow and read by Brick, but at 42 hours I ne..."

I agree! The narration is wonderful.

I have Washington: A Life on my TBR. It will probably be a book I take on one of my long driving trips (whenever those are reinstated - they're on hold now due to the pandemic).

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7783 comments I am am considering driving home for Christmas. If I do, that the perfect length audio for the round trip!

message 7: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5671 comments I wonder if it is easier to read this book if you saw the musical Hamilton. It could make him more real and exciting.

Joi I agree with you. Let's dispense some gold stars.

message 8: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5671 comments Joy D wrote: "Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow - 5 stars - My Review

Through hard work, ambition, and education, Alexander Hamilton rose from poverty and adverse circumstances to b..."

Great Review Joy! Bravo! You deserve some gold stars. ⭐🌟🌞⭐🌞🌟⭐

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8951 comments I am 6 1/2 into the 44 hours of Voyager.... Just sayin'

message 10: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 01, 2020 04:44PM) (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5671 comments Amy, you'll get a gold star too when you finish that. As much as I like the audio narrator, I think the Outlander books might go faster in print. Idk. I know you wanted to read Hamilton too some day.

I think I'm going to treat myself to a cookie for reading all those witches books in one month. NOT my favorite genre.

Robin P | 1919 comments NancyJ wrote: "I wonder if it is easier to read this book if you saw the musical Hamilton. It could make him more real and exciting.

Joi I agree with you. Let's dispense some gold stars."

Yes, I read it after falling in love with the musical.

Joy D | 4033 comments Thanks for all the gold stars!!! I have not had any since Kindergarten, lol.