YCLD Book Club discussion

September 2020 > Who Was Jonathan Whicher?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elia (new)

Elia Welcome to September and this month's book The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher. While most people in the USA may not have ever heard of Jonathan "Jack" Whicher, in the UK he is as famous as fictional detectives Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot, and in fact he was the basis for many well-known literary detectives.
The case that is discussed in the book, the Road Hill House murder, was as newsworthy and shocking as the Lindbergh baby kidnapping in the 1930's or the JohnBenet Ramsay case was in the 90's.

Here is one of the few known images of Jack Whicher:
Jack Whicher

Let's start the discussion below by letting us know: who are some of your favorite detectives, real or fictional?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 30 comments Mod
Elia wrote: "Welcome to September and this month's book The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher. While most people in the USA may not have ever heard of Jonathan "Jack" Whicher, in the UK he is as famous as fictional det..."

I fondly remember reading Nancy Drew and watching Scooby Doo! High brow, I know, haha.

message 3: by Julieta (new)

Julieta Calderon | 12 comments Mod
I've never been a big reader of detective stories, but I do enjoy a good police procedural show every now and then. I do remember reading a lot of the Encyclopedia Brown books when I was a kid, and in high school and college I read Jorge Luis Borges' detective short stories. Fun fact: Edgar Allen Poe is known as the father of the detective story.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine Howard | 2 comments I love mystery and have always been a great fan of Edgar Allen Poe and remember that first detective story. One of the first of his stories I read, "The Murders in the Rue Morgue." I like one of my AZ authors J.A. Jance, and John Sandford's books set in MN my childhood state, In the last few years my favorites have been Scandinavian authors Jo Nesbo, Jussi Adler-Olssen, and of course
Steig Larssen. Even Stephen King and Dean Koontz write some good mysteries.