Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Group Buddy Reads 2020 > September Group Buddy Read One Tuesday Morning (9/11 #1) by Karen Kingsbury

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Loraine (librarydiva) | 2951 comments Mod
One Tuesday Morning (9/11, #1) by Karen Kingsbury

I’m a firefighter, God, so I know I’ve been in some tough places before. But this . . . this not knowing the people I love . . . this is the hardest thing I can imagine. The last thing Jake Bryan knew was the roar of the World Trade Center collapsing on top of him and his fellow firefighters. The man in the hospital bed remembers nothing. Not rushing with his teammates up the stairway of the south tower to help trapped victims. Not being blasted from the building. And not the woman sitting by his bedside who says she is his wife. Jamie Bryan will do anything to help her beloved husband regain his memory, and with it their storybook family life with their small daughter, Sierra. But that means helping Jake rediscover the one thing Jamie has never shared with him: his deep faith in God. Jake’s fondest prayer for his wife is about to have an impact beyond anything he could possibly have conceived. One Tuesday Morning is a love story like none you have ever read: tender, poignant, commemorating the tragedy and heroism of September 11 and portraying the far-reaching power of God’s faithfulness and a good man’s love.

message 2: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I read this book in 2004 shortly after it came out, and it brought back so many memories of that horrible day that will be in our memories forever.

What are your memories of that day? Where were you and what were you doing when you found out what had happened? Who's going to join me in reading this book?

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (gr-nancy-a) | 257 comments I’d like to .. but will have to find the book.
I will let you know when I get my hands on a copy :)

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine Indorf | 364 comments Nancy wrote: "I’d like to .. but will have to find the book.
I will let you know when I get my hands on a copy :)"

If you have Amazon Prime you can get it for $4 on Kindle. I know Thriftbooks have it 4.99. Give them a try. I know both sites have them.

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine Indorf | 364 comments I read the book already. I won't spoil anything of the book but I will tell you I cried reading the book. It was amazing. If you all don't know is a series. There are 2 other books after this one and I just started book 2 called Beyond Tuesday morning and the next book is Remembering Tuesday Morning. Trust me you'll want to read them next. Enjoy your read!!

message 6: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Lybbert | 258 comments I was able to get the book as an ebook at my library. I just read the first chapter. I look forward to reading it all. Sept 11 is seared in my memory. I had to take my 3 year old for a baby root canal on a tooth that day. They turned the tv off in the waiting area as they didn't want my young son to see all the images. For that I was thankful.

message 7: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

What a memory Katrina. I was teaching first grade and was in class when it happened. Our Assistant Principal came to our hallway and asked each of us to step out in the hallway as she needed to talk to us. Our rooms had windows so we could still keep an eye on our kiddos. She then broke the news to us and told us we had to keep it together so we wouldn't upset our kiddos. That was really hard. Because we were in Houston and had NASA, ports and oil storage, we were all concerned that we might get attacked next. By noon, all of our students had been picked up by their parents; and we were told that we could go home. It was a day that I still remember vividly.

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda Klager | 34 comments I read this book and thought that Karen Kingsbury did a great job portraying what everyone went through after 9/11. My husband and I were at work near Dallas, TX on 9/11. A coworker received a call from his wife and told him about what happened. Then when the plane that hit in Pennsylvania, I was horrified! Was it close to where my family lived. I am originally from PA. It was not, but I was so scared and cried out to God.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Klager | 34 comments I have read all 3 books in this series!

message 10: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I bet that was scary Linda knowing your family was close by.

message 11: by Carissa (new)

Carissa | 149 comments What are your memories of that day? Where were you and what were you doing when you found out what had happened? Who's going to join me in reading this book?

I was sitting in my second-period Algebra class I was a freshman in high school, and a classmate turned on the news just as the second plane flew into the tower. I have family in New York but it didn't really sink in till the plane hit the Pentagon. I was living in a different state than my parents I was in Kentucky and my dad was stationed at Quantico. So needless to say I was freaking out because the phone service was scrambled. And I was worried my dad would be deployed before I even knew it.

I may read the book but I don't know as it hits a little to close to home. As my New York family members are first responders.

message 12: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Goodness that definitely might be a hard read Carissa and bring back some uncomfortable memories.

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma Turner | 32 comments I’m so excited to read this book! It’s been on my TBR list for a bit.

I wasn’t alive at the time, but it’s always been a somber read for me in history class or hearing stories about it.

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 104 comments I read all three books several years ago. I have to say though that I did not cry until the third book. I will not say what happened in that book because many of you have not read it, but those who have will probably know when I could not hold it together any more.

Beth - ;)
in Calgary

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda Klager | 34 comments Loraine wrote: "I bet that was scary Linda knowing your family was close by."

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda Klager | 34 comments Yes! And that was such a scary and unbelievable day for many! Glad your group is reading this book.

message 17: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Emma wrote: "I’m so excited to read this book! It’s been on my TBR list for a bit.

I wasn’t alive at the time, but it’s always been a somber read for me in history class or hearing stories about it."

Glad you are joining us Emma. Hope you will appreciate some of our memories of that time.

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 61 comments I read the book and I really liked it

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine Indorf | 364 comments I am on the 3rd book Remember Tuesday Morning
The 2nd and the 3rd book isn't as good as the the first but I believe they are so worth the read!!

message 20: by Linda (new)

Linda Klager | 34 comments I agree - the first book is the best, but it is very good to read all 3 books to get the full story.

message 21: by Emma (new)

Emma Turner | 32 comments Just finished this book, and I was immensely blessed. It made it to my favourites list.

message 22: by Linda (new)

Linda Klager | 34 comments I agree, Emma! It is one of my favorites, too!

message 23: by Annie (new)

Annie | 24 comments I just picked this up the library and am looking forward to reading this!

message 24: by Loraine, CFD Momma (last edited Sep 15, 2020 08:25AM) (new)

Here are the discussion questions for One Tuesday Morning. Please feel free to answer any or all, ask a question of your own, or just discuss something from the story.

1. What were some examples of Jake's faith?

2. How did he let his faith play out in his family?

3. How have you seen people in your life try to tell you about faith?

4. What approach works best for you - someone telling you to read the Bible and go to church, or someone loving you the way Jake loved Jamie?

5. What was Eric Michaels lacking in his life?

6. What lessons did Eric have to learn after September 11 when he was mistakenly placed in Jamie's home?

7. Describe how Eric came to understand Jake's faith? How did Jamie help?

8. How did the transformation happen in Jamie's life?
9. What was an event where compassion played a huge part in the plot?

10. How did Jamie know she would be okay, once Eric went back to his wife and home? What would you expect for Jamie's future?

11. Talk about a life-changing tragedy in your life or the life of someone you know.

12. How did you or that person come out of that time? What ways was God working that were difficult to see at the time?

message 25: by Christine (new)

Christine Indorf | 364 comments Jake was amazing. His faith in God was just beautiful. Even when his wife didn't believe he keep praying and reading and writing about her. The morning of 9/11 he felt God telling him great things for his family will happen but then he died. As the book went on because of his faith and his journal not only did he speak to his wife but to Eric and help save Eric to the point he changed his life and walked with God. Even when they discovered who is was he kept his Faith strong. Maybe we don't see when something terrible happens to us. Both my parents have suffered greatly. My mother died of years fighting Ovarian Cancer and my Dad had a massive stroke. Life can be really hard, trust me I know be even in the mist of tragedy God is forever faithful. He loves us and walks with us and it will make you a better person and I love how this book shows us God at work This was a great read for me and helped me remember that if we have God then we have everything!!

message 26: by Loraine, CFD Momma (last edited Sep 15, 2020 06:25PM) (new)

Christine well said. I loved Jake and who he was and all he stood for. I think the memories of who he was helped Jamie get through all she faced. Life can be hard. I lost my stepdad to Alzheimers. Watching this brilliant man become nothing more than a shell was heartbreaking. Both my husband and I have faced health issues that have turned our golden years into "rusty" years where we can't do most of the things we had planned. But God has seen us through and we are find joy in our present times. And as you said "God is our everything."

message 27: by Linda (new)

Linda Klager | 34 comments I agree with Christine and Loraine that Jake was such a wonderful Christian man. He knew God was using him for good. I was hoping that my husband and I could travel more, but in 2017 after he had surgery to remove polyps in his colon, that operation or all of the drugs they gave him during and after surgery caused some memory loss. He also does not have the energy that he used to have. I need to be thankful for the wonderful trips we had in past years. I know God is with me although I have tough days taking care of him.

message 28: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

LInda we were blessed with wonderful trips to before all our health issues appeared. I too am a caregiver so you have my empathy. It is not an easy job, and unless you find yourself in this situation, it is very hard to understand the toll it takes on caregivers. My doctor says this is probably why I developed fibromyalgia due to the stress.

message 29: by Annie (new)

Annie | 24 comments I'll be back to take a look at the questions, but since I am only up to page 62, I don't want to read any that might be spoilers. I wanted to say that so far I am enjoying this book.

message 30: by Emma (new)

Emma Turner | 32 comments One of my favourite aspects of this story was Jake’s relationship with his daughter. He loved her unconditionally, and it made me cry to see what she had to grow through with losing her daddy. The fact he would take her to church and curl her hair (my heart...) made me fall in love with both their characters so hard. He had a Godly influence on his daughter and wife that would eventually bring his wife to the cross. I love the crooked path that was used in the process. It made the story so much more uncertain to read.

message 31: by Linda (new)

Linda Klager | 34 comments So sorry to hear that you have fibromyalgia, Loraine. Thanks for your kind words.

message 32: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (gr-nancy-a) | 257 comments I did not read the book yet .. but will one day.
I am reading The Harbinger II which mentions 9/11 quite a bit .. and I was reminded of the book: Let’s Roll! by Lisa Beamer ( which i read a few years ago.)
(Her husband, Todd, was on the flight that crashed into PA rural area ., instead of the White House.
He was instrumental in making that happen.)
I was at home that morning and saw the 2nd plane hit the world trade center tower on TV.
THAT i will never forget.

message 33: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (gr-nancy-a) | 257 comments NEVER forget.
Also read a memoir by a female secret service agent who was at ground zero that day .. a survivor. She spoke in a church in my town and i
have her book. She really dealt with PTSD. Good book. [if anyone’s interested i can hunt up that title.]

message 34: by Linda (new)

Linda Klager | 34 comments Nancy - I have read "Let's Roll!" I am so thankful for these brave men and women - what a tragic day.

message 35: by Christine (new)

Christine Indorf | 364 comments If you are interested in a great Non Fiction is The Only Plane In the Sky. Now I know on here we don't use swearing on here and I'm sure there probably is but since its a non fiction I am not sure where you might stand on it. I highly recommend this book. Also the only way to read this book is on audiobooks. Extra material and each characters has its own voice. I hope I am not over stepping but if not reading this after One given Tuesday will help you understand more of what that day was like.

message 36: by Linda (new)

Linda Klager | 34 comments Thanks for the tip, Christine!

message 37: by Annie (new)

Annie | 24 comments Nancy wrote: "NEVER forget.
Also read a memoir by a female secret service agent who was at ground zero that day .. a survivor. She spoke in a church in my town and i
have her book. She really dealt with PTSD. ..."

This sounds very interesting if you ever remember that title.

message 38: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (gr-nancy-a) | 257 comments Samantha Horwitz and 1 more
The Silent Fall: A Secret Service Agent's Story of Tragedy and Triumph After 9/11

message 39: by Karin (new)

Karin | 214 comments I have this hear and plan to read it before the end of the month--I finally am reading The Love Letter which I know I have missed our month for!

message 40: by Karin (last edited Sep 25, 2020 06:26PM) (new)

Karin | 214 comments So I ended up reading this book after I posted. Overall I liked this book, but was disconcerted because some of her information was in accurate, such as (view spoiler)

message 41: by Annie (new)

Annie | 24 comments This was a lovely, poignant book and I gave it 4 stars because I thought it very good. I peeked at Karin's spoiler, and she has a good point, but for me it didn't take anything away from the story.

I thought about the renewed mind. With his memory loss, Eric's mind was mostly wiped clean, and as he read Jake's journal along with scriptures, he was able to be transformed because he was doing his part by putting on the thoughts of Christ. I thought that this was a great thing. How many of us have things we would like to forget but can't? Of course, as his memory came back it was a bit of a challenge, but by then he had a strong hold on the Scriptures and was reconciled back to God. He'd also read about a very loving marriage that gave him a fresh start to work on his own.

message 42: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Great thoughts Annie. Thanks for sharing.

message 43: by Emma (new)

Emma Turner | 32 comments I could not have said it better Annie.

message 44: by Christine (new)

Christine Indorf | 364 comments Anne thank you for your wonderful review. Don't at time we wish our memories were wiped clean and we have the Love of God put in its place. Thank you for your thoughts>

message 45: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Lybbert | 258 comments I finished it today. Very heartbreaking, but so good to see the transformation of both Eric and Jamie. Jake taught them so much and it was good to see God in their lives because of his. I think Eric was ready for the change as he started down those stairs to reunite with his family. It took time to get back to them, but I am sure their life was going to be so much better after this.

message 46: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Katrina wrote: "I finished it today. Very heartbreaking, but so good to see the transformation of both Eric and Jamie. Jake taught them so much and it was good to see God in their lives because of his. I think Eri..."

Second chances can change lives. I think Eric definitely got a second chance.

Hope you have all enjoyed our September read, and hope some of you will join me for our October read: The Tea Chest.

message 47: by Karin (new)

Karin | 214 comments Christine wrote: "If you are interested in a great Non Fiction is The Only Plane In the Sky. Now I know on here we don't use swearing on here and I'm sure there probably is but since its a non fiction I am not sure ..."

Another good one that does not have swearing in it that I can recall is The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland by Jim DeFede although it focuses on how and where the planes flying from Europe were rerouted when the US closed its airspace.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.