San Antonio Public Library discussion

Music and books

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 9 comments Mod
When you read a book, does it make you think of certain songs? Or vice versa? Have you had a book that introduces you to music that you have never heard?

message 2: by Shannan (new)

Shannan (shannan_prukop) | 97 comments Mod
Not necessarily the same, but the audiobook I'm currently listening to (The Lovely War by Julie Berry) actually integrates music periodically when the book is describing music, and it's incredibly effective at creating atmosphere.

I can't say that reading tends to make me think of music, but music-centric books have definitely introduced me to genres or artists I might have otherwise never heard of. Rani Patel in Full Effect by Sonia Patel is set during the early years of hip-hop and the main character creates her own lyrics. I definitely looked up references to artists she made so I could better understand the story and character.

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy West (nancygwest) | 35 comments Bellweather Rhapsody entwines music and books in an unforgettable way. Millie, a twenty-seven year old librarian returns to the Bellweather Hotel where she witnessed a suicide-murder 15 years before. She arrives in the midst of a statewide competition for high school musical prodigies, hoping to lay her memories and fears to rest. The author mesmerizes us with the power of music and charms us with the unforgettable yearnings of students and sponsors enmeshed in this pressure-filled event. An apparent suicide and another murder follow in this mystery/horror/ coming-of-age novel while Millie tries to resolve the mysteries of her past and make sense of current events. These calamities take place within the author's brilliant depiction of how only the language of music speaks to one's soul. You will remember this artistically structured novel long after you close the book.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark Hall (libraryogre) | 105 comments Mod
Sometimes; there are songs that can evoke the same energy, or refer to the same work, and so the connection can wind up crossing over. For example, references to Hamlet can start "Hey There, Ophelia" by MC Lars or "Green Eggs and Hamlet" by Mary Prankster starting in my head, or references to Shrewsbury in music can make me think of Cadfael.

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Avina | 24 comments Nancy, that sounds like a good mystery. The book I'm thinking of is Cloud Atlas, which I really love. My problem is that unless it's a familiar work or a piece I can look up, it doesn't contribute to the story, for me. If the character is playing Chopin or Rachmaninoff, say, I would get the flavor or mood.

message 6: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Avina | 24 comments Shannan, I don't like audio books, but in this case it would certainly contribute to the story.

message 7: by Shannan (new)

Shannan (shannan_prukop) | 97 comments Mod
That's fair! I'm very picky about audiobooks, and those with added audio effects can come off as cheesy but this one does it so well.