SFF Hot from Printers: New Releases discussion

Mexican Gothic
This topic is about Mexican Gothic
Monthly Reads > September 2020 -- Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Oleksandr Zholud | 1719 comments Mod
This is firth impressions thread for our fantasy book of the month

I've almost finished the book. This is a classic gothic horror with a wicked mansion, where strange people live, but instead of usual European background we get to the 1920s Mexico

message 3: by Plamen (last edited Sep 07, 2020 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Plamen Nenchev (vmro) | 57 comments I am 30% in and only reading because I suggested the book (and already kind of feeling sorry I did). Oleksandr describes the gist well. But I like gothic horror and horror in general, and I'm very much unimpressed.

message 4: by Eva (new) - added it

Eva | 131 comments I read the free kindle sample and it was okay, but I didn't like it enough to buy the whole book (especially since I've already once bought another book by this author that I haven't read yet because it didn't interest me enough, Gods of Jade and Shadow, plus I don't usually read any horror, ever). I think in both cases, the main character was introduced as rather shallow and materialistic and didn't draw me in. But I can't really judge the book just from the beginning, and the beginning was fine, just not "OH MY GOD so cool!".

I did like the music playlist the author suggests for the book though: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/233...

And the cover is very gorgeous!! The Mexican Gothic paper doll was a bit too much, lol, although funny. But I guess that my whole (unfounded, due to not having read more than the beginning) impression is one of surface glamour, glitz, design, shiny marketing, not one of true soul and heart blood inside. Has anyone finished it who would like to convince me otherwise?

message 5: by Cordelia (new) - added it

Cordelia (anne21) | 83 comments I read read some of the ARC. I just couldn't connect to it. Not my sort of stuff. The cover was nice though.

Eva wrote: "one of surface glamour, glitz, design, shiny marketing, not one of true soul and heart blood inside. Has anyone finished it who would like to convince me otherwise?"

While the story gets darker, and there is a romance element, I cannot recommend it. I thought it was due to my indifference to horrors, but even horror aficionados don't rate it high

Plamen Nenchev (vmro) | 57 comments Nothing any one of you says is any incentive for me to continue:|

Plamen wrote: "Nothing any one of you says is any incentive for me to continue:|"

A new book is often hit or miss :) Note that we still have SF monthly read, which you supported

Plamen Nenchev (vmro) | 57 comments Oleksandr wrote: "Plamen wrote: "Nothing any one of you says is any incentive for me to continue:|"

A new book is often hit or miss :) Note that we still have SF monthly read, which you supported"

I'm aware of that, this one was my suggestion, after all, so my apologies to everyone.

Plamen wrote: "I'm aware of that, this one was my suggestion, after all, so my apologies to everyone."

Do not worry. It was still a fine, just not great story

message 11: by Kateblue (last edited Sep 10, 2020 11:11PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kateblue | 733 comments Mod
Too long and drawn out for the amount of plot. The ending brought it up a notch

Carol Chapin | 8 comments I'm about half way though the audio book, and I feel that little has happened! But I will finish.

At the beginning of the month, I put the print book on hold in my local library system. I'm now #51 in the queue, so I guess this is popular. I finally gave up on the library and got it from Audible.

Carol wrote: "At the beginning of the month, I put the print book on hold in my local library system. I'm now #51 in the queue, so I guess this is popular. I finally gave up on the library and got it from Audible."

I guess the upcoming TV series hiked its popularity

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments Wow. I absolutely loved this book. Maybe it's because I love gothic fiction. Maybe it's because I'm a fan of Lovecraft and weird horror.

I'm sorry the rest of you felt this way.

Kateblue | 733 comments Mod
You know, Kirsten, I may have been too harsh only giving it 2 stars. I do still think about the book occasionally, and I remember it, which is more than I can say about many that I read.

But don't you think she should have gotten out of there right away? And it just seemed to drag, to me.