Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > November 2020 New School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9663 comments Mod
November 2020 New School group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads are not eligible for nomination. Bookshelf

In the interest of variety, please wait a month to renominate a book that has been in the poll. These are the books from last month's poll that did not win:

Possession by A.S. Byatt, 1990, 555 pages
Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende, 1998, 432 pages
On the Beach by Nevil Shute, 1957, 296 pages
The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham, 1957, 220 pages
Blindness by José Saramago, 1995, 326 pages
The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles, 1969, 470 pages

2. Eligible publication dates for books are 1900-1999.

3. When making a nomination, please use "add book/author" link to help moderators and others view the book selected.

4. Only seven books, by seven different authors will move forward to each poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The seven books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

5. One nomination and one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

5a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier to moderator to track changes.

6. Only one book per author; in the event of more than one book by the same author is nominated, only the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

6a. Same author-multiple categories. The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

Nominations will remain open until the 14th of the month. Polls will open on the 16th and run until the last day of the month.

message 2: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1765 comments I would like to nominate Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene, 220 pages, 1962.

"...it tells of MI6's man in Havana, Wormold, a former vacuum-cleaner salesman turned reluctant secret agent out of economic necessity. To keep his job, he files bogus reports based on Lamb's Tales from Shakespeare and dreams up military installations from vacuum-cleaner designs."

message 3: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2633 comments I nominate The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (pub 1997, 340 pp).

message 4: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia | 67 comments There still isn't anything by Jorge Luis Borges on the group shelves.
I nominate Fictions (1944, 179pp), his most famous short story collection.

message 5: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1765 comments Antonomasia wrote: "There still isn't anything by Jorge Luis Borges on the group shelves.
I nominate Fictions (1944, 179pp), his most famous short story collection."

I second.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) | 512 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "I would like to nominate Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene, 220 pages, 1962.

I second Our Man in Havana. Loved it when I read it years ago.

message 8: by Terry (new)

Terry | 1801 comments I will nominate A Separate Peace by John Knowles, published 1959, won many awards and is 208 pages long.

message 9: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments I second In the Time of the Butterflies.

message 10: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2633 comments Brina wrote: "I nominate In the Time of the Butterflies and second The God of Small Things."

Thanks Brina :)

message 12: by Jesus (new)

message 13: by Frances (new)

Frances (francesperez) | 54 comments Jesus wrote: "I nominate The Radetzky March by Joseph Roth"

I second this

message 14: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3324 comments I'd like to nominate A Town Like Alice

It has great reviews and it fits the O1: Classic of Africa, Antarctica, Australia, or Oceania BINGO square.

message 15: by Jesus (new)

Jesus | 177 comments Thank you Frances!

message 16: by Frances (new)

Frances (francesperez) | 54 comments Jesus wrote: "Thank you Frances!"

Thank you for bringing this book to my attention, Jesus. If it doesn’t get chosen as our read, it will still go on my TBR list. 🤗

message 17: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4057 comments Brina wrote: "I nominate In the Time of the Butterflies and second The God of Small Things."

I'll second In the Time of the Butterflies and nominate The Towers of Trebizond by Rose Macaulay, 296 pgs, humor with some heartbreak thrown in.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) | 512 comments I second The Towers of Trebizond. It's a fantastic book!

message 19: by Sam (new)

Sam | 366 comments I also second Fictions by Borges.

message 20: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 786 comments I nominate In a Lonely Place by Dorothy B. Hughes. I do love crime noir. Published in 1947.

message 21: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4057 comments Anne wrote: "I second The Towers of Trebizond. It's a fantastic book!"

Thanks Anne, and glad to hear it!

message 22: by Erin (new)

Erin Green | 182 comments I'll second A Town Like Alice

message 23: by Brina (new)

Brina Thank you, Philina and Kathleen :)

Kathleen- I already seconded but I’m looking up your nomination. A new book/author for me.

message 24: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia | 67 comments Thanks, Sam & J_BlueFlower

message 25: by Janelle (new)

Janelle | 612 comments I second A Town Like Alice
And nominate Regeneration by Pat Barker

message 26: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1765 comments Janelle wrote: "And nominate Regeneration by Pat Barker"

I wish I could second that one as well. It is on the 1001-books list. It is actually the first in a series of three, and in the third The Ghost Road (also a 1001-list book) the Spanish Flu plays a major roll.

message 27: by Janelle (new)

Janelle | 612 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "Janelle wrote: "And nominate Regeneration by Pat Barker"

I wish I could second that one as well. It is on the 1001-books list. It is actually the first in a series of thr..."

I didn’t know about the list, but the third won the Booker prize.

message 28: by Shannon SA (new)

Shannon SA | 20 comments Anne wrote: "I second The Towers of Trebizond. It's a fantastic book!"

I took that as a suggestion and downloaded the book :)

message 29: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 3255 comments I second Time of Butterflies

message 30: by Shannon SA (new)

Shannon SA | 20 comments I second Our Man in Havana

message 31: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 96 comments I'll second Regeneration. It is excellent!

message 32: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1765 comments Janelle wrote: "I didn’t know about the list, but the third won the Booker prize."

Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die group:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Corresponding list:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...
(has 1315 book because is covers all editions)

Sorted by year:
https://1001bookreviews.com/the-1001-...

Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1001_Bo...

message 33: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 134 comments Antonomasia wrote: "There still isn't anything by Jorge Luis Borges on the group shelves.

Second!

message 34: by Janelle (new)

Janelle | 612 comments Thanks Karen!

Thanks for the list J!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I nominate White Noise by Don DeLillo (1985) 320 pages

message 36: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3324 comments Thank you Erin and Janelle!

message 37: by Terry (new)

Terry | 1801 comments I will second White Noise.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Terry wrote: "I will second White Noise."

Thanks.

message 39: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 85 comments I nominate O Pioneers! by Willa Cather (1913) 159 pages

message 40: by Dan (new)

Dan | 80 comments I nominate I, Claudius by Robert Graves (1935). In 1998, the Modern Library ranked I, Claudius fourteenth on its list of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century. It has never before been nominated in this group.

message 41: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia | 67 comments Dan wrote: " It has never before been nominated in this group."

Dan, there is a bug with post/comment search in groups at the moment - searching threads brings up mostly only very recent results, and perhaps a handful of patchy old ones. Most mentions of a book from more than a few weeks ago won't show up. (It seems to just be threads, bookshelf search seems to be okay.)

message 42: by Antonomasia (last edited Sep 02, 2020 10:57PM) (new)

Antonomasia | 67 comments Google search, using terms in quote marks, should pick up threads mentioning specific books, but if using group name and book title, it won't tell you what the thread titles were (e.g. if they are bingos, nominations etc) without clicking through.

Here is a thread from this May, for July group reads, where I, Claudius was nominated, found using Google: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

You can also sort the lists alphabetically by clicking on the "Title" heading or the "Author" heading. Clicking on it a second time will reverse the order.

message 44: by Nike (new)

Nike | 489 comments I nominate The Sand Child by Tahar Ben Jelloun. From 1985, 176 pages.

Shirley (stampartiste) | 838 comments Sue wrote: "I'd like to nominate A Town Like Alice

It has great reviews and it fits the O1: Classic of Africa, Antarctica, Australia, or Oceania BINGO square."

Many wonderful nominations, but I second A Town Like Alice to fit the Bingo square Sue mentioned. Thank you!

message 46: by Jen (new)

Jen | 48 comments I'll second I Claudius.

message 47: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1666 comments Antonomasia wrote: "There still isn't anything by Jorge Luis Borges on the group shelves.

I second Fictions.

message 48: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2633 comments Thanks again Carrie :)

message 49: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 575 comments Aubrey wrote: "I nominate The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (pub 1997, 340 pp)."

I'll second this.

message 50: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2633 comments Thanks Aprilleigh :)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.