You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > September 2020 - Peril at End House

Comments Showing 1-50 of 176 (176 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18198 comments One of the group reads for September is Peril at End House by Agatha Christie. Please discuss the book in this thread.

Renee will be leading the discussion.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have read the book before or during September 2020.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

A note on discussion: Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc.

In addition to this, the group reads are meant to be a "read along" so it is preferable that you discuss the book as you read rather than wait until you've finished the book.

And finally, discussion is not about just listing your thoughts. Please interact with the other group members, comment on their thoughts, and if they comment on yours, respond to them. This is what makes a good book discussion!

You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread.

Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions. See our spoiler policy
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20354 comments I will be reading and joining in on the discussion as soon as I get the ebook copy from my library. I’m happy to be reading another Hercule Poirot story. I have been reading them for a long time, when I could find them.

message 3: by Kay (new)

Kay | 201 comments I’ll join too. I have never read an Agatha Christie, only seen tv and movie adaptions. I think it is time!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm joining in too. I've not read any Agatha either Kay so we can go through our initiation together lol.

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 580 comments I'm starting the audiobook today! Looking forward to joining the discussion this month.

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1633 comments I will try to keep my love for Agatha at bay. I love the way she places clues with out you realizing. I am picking my book up on Wednesday.

My library has it but its in quarantine. They hold the books for a couple of days after they are returned.

You all know I love Agatha, Is this anyone's
first time reading her?

message 7: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20354 comments This will be my eleventh Hercule Poirot book. I own two others that I picked up at a used book sale but have not had a chance to read yet. I have a couple of Miss Marple books waiting to be read too. I like to keep them around for topplers because they are short. Unfortunately, they do not always fit the toppler criteria. I am more of a Sherlock Holmes fan, but I really enjoy HP. He is a very quirky fellow.

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 580 comments Chapter 1 - (view spoiler)
Chapter 2 - (view spoiler)
Chapter 3 - (view spoiler)
Chapter 4 - (view spoiler)

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14451 comments I've read a couple of the Hercule Poirot books (as well as a couple of the Miss Marple books) and enjoyed them. I would have joined this discussion, but my library doesn't carry the audio and unfortunately I can not add another physical book this month. I have too many other reads that I'm obligated to. I hope you all enjoy it!

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50430 comments I checked to see if it was available on Overdrive. No such luck. But Amazon.ca has it on Kindle for $1.99. But, like Kristie, I already have a slate of print books to read in September. There's still opportunity to change my mind.

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14451 comments The Kindle is $9.99 here! That's more than a little ridiculous.

My library does have an e-copy, but there is a waitlist and the expected wait time is about 4 weeks. They do have a physical copy available... maybe I should pick it up just in case? Because I didn't just return 3 books unread and I don't already have 2 more sitting at home with no time to read them... I think I might need an intervention. lol

message 12: by Laura (Lclwags) (new)

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 580 comments For anyone wanting to read the book, I just stumbled across a PDF copy while looking for a chapter list. Audio makes it hard to keep track of what chapter I'm on. https://decodingnik.files.wordpress.c...

message 13: by Ayacchi (new)

Ayacchi | 1127 comments I've read some and this will be my 3rd Poirot's book. I didn't quite enjoy my 1st one The A.B.C. Murders , but The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was quite good. I hope it'll be a good read

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Renee wrote: "I will try to keep my love for Agatha at bay. I love the way she places clues with out you realizing. I am picking my book up on Wednesday.

My library has it but its in quarantine. They hold the ..."

My first Agatha book Renee!

message 15: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20354 comments My library only has the audio on CD, but it is not available for several weeks. I am #1 on the one copy of the ebook they have. It could be available tomorrow or two weeks from now, depending on how quickly the current reader finishes it. There is no text copy available. I checked on GR and this book does not have a preview either. (Sometimes, it is nice to read the preview, just to tide you over.)

I am going to check out the pdf file, Laura. Thanks for posting.

message 16: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20354 comments I liked The Murder of Roger Ackroyd too, Ayacchi.
I have not read The A.B.C. Murders, but is one of the books I own.

message 17: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20354 comments Laura - at first, I thought the link was not working, or that the firewall on my work lap top was not going to let me save the file, but I was finally able to download it and save it to my book stuff folder. The file is 819 KB in length.

message 18: by Yunlin (last edited Sep 01, 2020 08:26PM) (new)

Yunlin | 1 comments After reading this book, I had the following questions. I would feel very grateful if anyone can share the opinion to any of the questions below.

By the way, I have trouble figuring out how to add blank space in the text. Can anyone comment how to do so? Below, I use **** in replace of blank space.

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Kay (new)

Kay | 201 comments Katie wrote: "I'm joining in too. I've not read any Agatha either Kay so we can go through our initiation together lol."

Go initiates!

message 20: by Kay (new)

Kay | 201 comments Renee wrote: "I will try to keep my love for Agatha at bay. I love the way she places clues with out you realizing. I am picking my book up on Wednesday.

My library has it but its in quarantine. They hold the ..."

It's mine and Katie's first time reading her Renee. Should be fun, especially with yourself and Cherie who love the novels so much.

message 21: by Kay (new)

Kay | 201 comments Laura (Lclwags) wrote: "For anyone wanting to read the book, I just stumbled across a PDF copy while looking for a chapter list. Audio makes it hard to keep track of what chapter I'm on. https://decodingnik.files.wordpres..."

Thanks Laura!

message 22: by Ayacchi (new)

Ayacchi | 1127 comments My copy is translated into Hotel Majestic, still don't know the relation with End House. One thing I like from this book is that finally they put the French translation on the footnote! Phew.

Like Yunlin, I also have a question, something trivial. On chapter one, (view spoiler)

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50430 comments Yunlin wrote: "After reading this book, I had the following questions. I would feel very grateful if anyone can share the opinion to any of the questions below.

By the way, I have trouble figuring out how to ad..."

Hi Yunlin! Welcome to YLTO.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I should be starting this tomorrow. I just want to finish my current book.

message 25: by Cherie (last edited Sep 02, 2020 11:40AM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20354 comments I started reading the PDF file that Laura posted for the book.

Chapter 1 (view spoiler)

message 26: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20354 comments Ayacchi - re your spoiler for chapter 1 (view spoiler)

message 27: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20354 comments Yunlin wrote: "After reading this book, I had the following questions. I would feel very grateful if anyone can share the opinion to any of the questions below.

By the way, I have trouble figuring out how to ad..."

Hi Yulin - we are just starting this group read, so we will not be able to answer your questions YET, but hang in there with us as we read and I am sure we will. ;o)

message 28: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20354 comments Laura - re your Chapter 1 spoiler. (view spoiler)

message 29: by Ayacchi (new)

Ayacchi | 1127 comments Cherie wrote: "Ayacchi - re your spoiler for chapter 1 [spoilers removed]"

I only focused on (view spoiler)

message 30: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20354 comments Yunlin - I think the tools remove the “extra” space to save room (storage space?). It is annoying but your ******s worked. I saw what you were trying to do in your spoiler without reading it all.

I just started the book. 😊

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura (Lclwags) wrote: "Chapter 1 - [spoilers removed]
Chapter 2 - [spoilers removed]
Chapter 3 - [spoilers removed]
Chapter 4 - [spoilers removed]"

Hi Laura! I've just finished chapter one and thought the same as you (view spoiler)

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 03, 2020 06:19AM) (new)

This being my first Poirot, and after reading chapter 1, I am interested to hear that Cherie, you are not too keen on Hastings whereas I was like, "Mr P, you are so mean and arrogant and poor old Hastings has to put up with you calling him an "imbecile"" lol.

I loved how the first chapter has unfolded the commencement of Poirot and Hastings meeting Miss Nick and how clever it was (view spoiler). I'm also glad we get stuck in straight way. I have the impression this will be faced paced and plot driven but you still get a very good idea of Poirot's character from his dialogue with the other characters which I am going to like.

message 33: by Laura (Lclwags) (last edited Sep 03, 2020 07:07AM) (new)

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 580 comments I've made myself stop before the big reveal, so I can better discuss theories with you all as we read! This book is such an easy read, I'm flying through it. Does anyone else wish they were as observant as Poirot? I'm so oblivious to little details. My husband often tells me I would be a terrible witness.
Cherie - I'm glad the PDF worked for you! I always enjoy reading your insights. This is my first novel with Captain Hastings, so I'm still forming my opinion of his character.
Chapters 5-9 - (view spoiler)

message 34: by Laura (Lclwags) (new)

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 580 comments Katie wrote: "Laura (Lclwags) wrote: "Chapter 1 - [spoilers removed]

Hi Laura! I've just finished chapter one and th..."

Katie - (view spoiler)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura (Lclwags) wrote: "I've made myself stop before the big reveal, so I can better discuss theories with you all as we read! This book is such an easy read, I'm flying through it. Does anyone else wish they were as obse..."

I love people watching but I miss the small things, which always seem to be the things that matter.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura (Lclwags) wrote: "Katie wrote: "Laura (Lclwags) wrote: "Chapter 1 - [spoilers removed]

Hi Laura! I've just finished chap..."

Yes, indeed! I ended up re-reading the part where Poirot and Miss Nick talk about the wasp/bee.

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 03, 2020 07:13AM) (new)

Chapter 2 read and I think I am going to want to read more of Agatha Christie's books. The dialogue and pacing flows really well and I just want to keep reading.

At the end of Chapter 2, I couldn't help myself but say out loud "dah dah dah".

message 38: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20354 comments Good one, Katie. "dah dah dah" indeed!

I just finished chapter 2 (view spoiler)

re my opinion of Hastings (view spoiler)

message 39: by Ayacchi (new)

Ayacchi | 1127 comments Cherie wrote: "Good one, Katie. "dah dah dah" indeed!

I just finished chapter 2 [spoilers removed]

re my opinion of Hastings [spoilers removed]"

I think it's because (view spoiler)

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Cherie wrote: "Good one, Katie. "dah dah dah" indeed!

Re your chapter 2 (view spoiler)

Regarding Hastings (view spoiler)

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Ayacchi wrote: "Cherie wrote: "Good one, Katie. "dah dah dah" indeed!

I think it's because she thinks she's a nobody an..."

I like your thoughts on Nick too. Makes sense.

I think I may be in the minority here, but so far, I love Hastings and would love to have him over for a cuppa and piece of cake!

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I have read up to Chapter 5.

Chapter 3 - Similar thoughts to you Laura, (view spoiler)

I can't remember much on chapter 4 as I read it so late last night. I am going to re-read it.

At the moment though, my money is on (view spoiler)

message 43: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 1473 comments I have this on order from library if the white van man who transits books from one library to another puts his sat nav on it might get here in time to join in

message 44: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1633 comments I am having a very frustrating time getting my book. I went yesterday. The had extended the quarantine to 7 days. It is because they are getting ready to start inter library loan. They could have sent an email.

Here is a small bit of history. England was inundated with a lot of Belgium refugees driven from their homes. Germany invaded it in 1940. They were occupied until 1944.

The refugees were not always treated with kindness. Hercule is believed to be an attempt by Agatha to make the refugees more human,

I actually like Hastings. The comparison to Holmes' s Watson has been mad many times. I sometimes feel they are the same char in different books.

Both are military men who have left the service. Both never really express emotion. Both found a friend that is a detective. Both show little emotion.

I am hoping a friend will drop a copy of the book toady I am so jealous i cant read it yet

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

How frustrating for you both Marie and Renee :-(. I do hope you get your hands on the book soon.

The background info is very interesting Renee. Can you, (or anyone else) fill me in on how Poirot and Hastings came to be working together?

message 46: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1633 comments Many of Poirot's story do not feature Hastings. If I remember correctly they met in Belgium before Poirot came to England. They became friends. .They work together whenever they are in the same place at the same time.

message 47: by Laura (Lclwags) (last edited Sep 04, 2020 11:57AM) (new)

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 580 comments Current suspects: Not sure this is really a spoiler, just general comments. Katie, I agree that (view spoiler)
Luckily work is really busy, otherwise I wouldn't be able to resist reading the ending already!

message 48: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20354 comments Captain Arthur Hastings and Hercule Poirot were both introduced in The Mysterious Affair at Styles. (Sorry, but I can’t link on the mobile app). I probably should not have said that I don’t like him. That is my opinion based on reading other books and it is not fair for those of you new to the characters in this book. I will try to be more careful in my remarks and keep them germane to this story.

message 49: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20354 comments Renee - Interesting background on the author’s reasons for writing Poirot. I have never done a lot of research.

I’m sorry you are having so much trouble getting your book copy. My library wait time is still two weeks but the PDF link from Laura is working well, except that I have to read it on my laptop computer. I could probably figure out how to download it to my Nook tablet but I am already reading two other books on it. That is what I use for the library ebooks that I download from Overdrive. I also have the Kindle app on it to read Kindle books. I have another Nook easy reader too.

message 50: by Laura (Lclwags) (new)

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 580 comments Through Chapter 12 - (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3 4