You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

The Lake House
This topic is about The Lake House
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > September 2020 - The Lake House

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18198 comments One of the group reads for September is The Lake House by Kate Morton. Please discuss the book in this thread.

Kristie will be leading the discussion.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have read the book before or during September 2020.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

A note on discussion: Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc.

In addition to this, the group reads are meant to be a "read along" so it is preferable that you discuss the book as you read rather than wait until you've finished the book.

And finally, discussion is not about just listing your thoughts. Please interact with the other group members, comment on their thoughts, and if they comment on yours, respond to them. This is what makes a good book discussion!

You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread.

Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions. See our spoiler policy
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 14447 comments Hi everyone! I'm planning to start this in a few days. I just wanted to point out that it is a longer book so that everyone is aware and can plan accordingly if you're going to join discussion. The hardcover is 495 pages and the audio is over 21 hours.

I'm looking forward to this one. A lot of my GR friends have really enjoyed it.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20350 comments It is a lot of pages, but I do not remember it dragging along. It is a dual story line that flips back and forth. I remember being so caught up in one space and being forced back into the other that it made me angry at the author for stopping right there. I read the book as a buddy read with Liza a couple of years ago. I still remember parts of it very well.

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15423 comments I love Kate Morton's books! In my experience they are all longer books, but they don't feel long at all. I read books that have half the pages but take me twice as long.

It's been too long since I read The Lake House to properly discuss it (honestly, I hardly remember what it was about) but your comments might make me remember :)

Christina (christir1159) | 1459 comments I will be starting the book in a couple days as well. I am looking forward to it :)

Jayme | 2563 comments I will be starting this book also in a couple of days - looking forward to reading another Kate Morton book.

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Sep 01, 2020 06:33AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 14447 comments Cherie wrote: "I remember being so caught up in one space and being forced back into the other that it made me angry at the author for stopping right there."

Good to know, Cherie! I'll be prepared.

I wasn't trying to scare anyone off by bringing up the length of the book. I just want people to be aware so they don't try to start it too late in the month without realizing it.

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 14447 comments I think I've only read one other book by Kate Morton, The Secret Keeper. It was also long, but I thought it was good. A few of her books have ended up on my TBR now, but I haven't gotten to them yet. I'm looking forward to reading this one.

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments I hope your comments refresh my memory. At this point all I remember is the biggest spoiler, so my lips are sealed. :) I also remember I liked the story.

Renee (elenarenee) | 1633 comments I read it when it first was out. It is a wonderful read. You are in for a treat

Cherie (crobins0) | 20350 comments No problems, Kristie. ;o)

I have read almost all of Morton's books. I own The Clockmaker's Daughter and was going to read it for one of the yearly challenge tasks, but it was bumped off by Old Bones. The only other I have not read yet is The Secret Keeper.

Too funny, Sandra! I remember too. My lips will be sealed as well.

Renee (elenarenee) | 1633 comments I have The clockmakers daughter to read. I love Morton's stories.. They remind me of the Gothic tales of Phyliss Whitney. They are much more involved the Whitney but they give me the same feeling I got when reading her books.

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 50410 comments I read this one last year and enjoyed it. I'll be watching the comments and may even add one or two.

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 14447 comments I own this one, The Clockmaker's Daughter, The Forgotten Garden, and The House at Riverton. I should probably stop buying her books until I read some of them. lol

Cherie (crobins0) | 20350 comments Kristie wrote: "I own this one, The Clockmaker's Daughter, The Forgotten Garden, and The House at Riverton. I should probably stop buying her books until I read some o..."

I have done that with other authors. :o)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments I've read all of her books but THE SECRET KEEPER and CLOCKMAKER'S DAUGHTER (I read 20 pages of this one but had to returned before my e-loan was due). THE FORGOTTEN GARDEN was the first I read and so far my favorite. It was also the book that lead me to GoodReads, so maybe that is the reason it has a special place in my heart. :)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20350 comments THE FORGOTTEN GARDEN was my first Morton read too, Sandra. I read it in 2014. I think THE LAKE HOUSE was my favorite.

message 18: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15423 comments I read them all, and all were 4 or 5 stars. My favourites are The Forgotten Garden and The House at Riverton.

I hope she'll come out with a new one soon.

Christina (christir1159) | 1459 comments I will be starting the book this evening. I am looking forward to it. Did they make a movie from it? My sister told me they did, but I couldn't find confirmation on google?

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 14447 comments I don't know, Christina. There was a movie called the Lake House with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock, but it was in 2006 before this book was written. Maybe she was thinking of that?

Vicki | 1124 comments Happy reading to everyone just starting this one. I read it last summer and I think if I concentrate/strain my brain I can even remember the major plot points. At first all I remembered was the beautiful setting of this one. In fact most of her books I can remember the setting or certain scenes but not the characters.
The Forgotten Garden was my first Morton book and remains my favorite. I haven't read The Clockmaker's Daughter but I own it and have read all her others and given them 4 or5 stars.

message 22: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn | 2360 comments I am picking up my hold this evening (traffic willing) 📚

Christina (christir1159) | 1459 comments Okay, Boom! Two pages and Chapter 1 is done. I think the character is our main character, but it isn't actually stated. (view spoiler)

Chapter 2
(view spoiler)

Jayme | 2563 comments I will be starting the book sometime this weekend.

message 25: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 14447 comments Christina wrote: "Okay, Boom! Two pages and Chapter 1 is done."

lol That was a quick chapter!

I'm starting in a couple of days. I' looking forward to reading your spoilers. :)

message 26: by Christina (last edited Sep 04, 2020 10:17PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christina (christir1159) | 1459 comments Chapter 3.. Well done, the author has really painted a picture!

(view spoiler)

Christina (christir1159) | 1459 comments Chapter 3.. again lol
(view spoiler)

message 28: by Christina (last edited Sep 04, 2020 10:49PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christina (christir1159) | 1459 comments Chapter 4

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 14447 comments I'm hoping to start this one tomorrow. I don't often get a lot of reading done on the weekends, but I'm going to try.

Jayme | 2563 comments @ Christina I agree. She really did capture (view spoiler)

Through chapter 2 - I love the detailed description of the lake house and the grounds (view spoiler)

message 31: by Christina (last edited Sep 06, 2020 01:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christina (christir1159) | 1459 comments Chapter 5.. (view spoiler)

Jayme | 2563 comments Through chapter 5 - Christina I agree that there (view spoiler)

Something that I am curious about (view spoiler)

I am really liking the atmosphere of this book. My plan is to sit outside by the pool - now that the humidity has lowered - and read all day. Happy Sunday everyone.

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 14447 comments Happy Sunday, Jayme. :)

I am still hoping to finish my current book today and start this one. Hope you're all enjoying it so far. I can't wait to get into it.

Margo | 10110 comments I'm going to start today. I'm not sure how much I will take in as I'm in a bit of a drug haze (prescription of course!) so please bear with me 😄

This is the first Kate Morton book I bought but the only one I've read is The Forgotten Garden so I'm still smiling at Kristies question - no, you are not the only one to buy multiple books by an author and not read them LOL I'm going against popular opinion here but I think I only rated it 3 stars so I ,liked it but didn't love it. Lets hope this one will work out better for me!

message 35: by Jayme (last edited Sep 06, 2020 12:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jayme | 2563 comments Through chapter 7 - Very interesting (view spoiler)

On an aside - This would have been a good book to read for our possible October theme spooky/mystery. :)

Christina (christir1159) | 1459 comments @Jayme I was already thinking that about the theme. Btw... I am totally jealous that you are getting to read today. I won't be getting any reading done today or tomorrow... Husband is off work and seems to think I should participate in the "real world" Lol

Margo | 10110 comments Chapter 2 (view spoiler)

message 38: by Margo (last edited Sep 06, 2020 12:31PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Margo | 10110 comments At the start of Chapter 5, I don't yet know what's going on but (view spoiler)

message 39: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 14447 comments So glad I was able to start today. :)

Margo wrote: "Chapter 2 [spoilers removed"

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 14447 comments Christina wrote: "Okay, Boom! Two pages and Chapter 1 is done. I think the character is our main character, but it isn't actually stated. [spoilers removed]

Chapter 2
[spoilers removed]"

re: your ch 2 spoiler - (view spoiler)

Margo | 10110 comments Kristie wrote: "So glad I was able to start today. :)

Margo wrote: "Chapter 2 [spoilers removed"

[spoilers removed]"

Ah, so he is older.

message 42: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 14447 comments Jayme wrote: "@ Christina I agree. She really did capture [spoilers removed]"

Funny, I just replied something similar. :) Definitely got that vibe.

Jayme | 2563 comments Through chapter 12 - I didn't think that (view spoiler)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1633 comments Jayme wrote: "@ Christina I agree. She really did capture [spoilers removed]

Through chapter 2 - I love the detailed description of the lake house and the grounds [spoilers removed]"

I agree Jayme the description of the location inspired me to head up to my lake house. I am enjoying a long weekend in beautiful weather. I just hope I dont pop back and forth between time like the book. LOL

Renee (elenarenee) | 1633 comments I have a friend who says Morton writing has a gothic feel. I wonder if that is what creates the atmosphere or feel of the book

I Jayme wrote: "Through chapter 5 - Christina I agree that there [spoilers removed]

Something that I am curious about [spoilers removed]

I am really liking the atmosphere of this book. My plan is to sit outside ..."

message 46: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 14447 comments Oh, I wish I was reading this at a lake house or beach. At least it is a beautiful outside here.

Margo | 10110 comments Me too Kristie!

Up to and including Chapter 8 (view spoiler)

message 48: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 14447 comments Margo wrote: "At the start of Chapter 5, I don't yet know what's going on but [spoilers removed]"

lol! I had a similar reaction to that comment!!

message 49: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 14447 comments Christina wrote: "Chapter 4

[spoilers removed]"

I noticed that too. It was difficult for me to keep track at first because of that, but I think I've gotten it now. I'm listening to the audiobook which doesn't help with timelines that jump around at all. I just requested the physical book from my library so I can make sure I'm keeping it all straight.

message 50: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 14447 comments Jayme wrote: "Through chapter 5 - Christina I agree that there [spoilers removed]

Something that I am curious about [spoilers removed]

I am really liking the atmosphere of this book. My plan is to sit outside ..."

I hadn't thought about who that might have been. Now I'm curious if we'll hear about it later.

I also like the atmosphere of the book. I'm really enjoying the descriptions and general writing style as well.

« previous 1 3