Mental Health Bookclub discussion

When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress
This topic is about When the Body Says No
2020 Group reads MH Nonfiction > September nonfiction- Alzheimer's: When the Body Says No

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Di (new)

Di | 369 comments Mod
In September our nonfiction group read is When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress by Gabor Maté. You chose this via poll (results here).

Description:
When the Body Says No is an impressive contribution to research on the physiological connection between life's stresses and emotions and the body systems governing nerves, immune apparatus and hormones. Medical doctor and bestselling author Gabor Maté shows that emotion and psychological stress play a powerful role in the onset of chronic illness, including breast cancer, prostate cancer, multiple sclerosis and many others, even Alzheimer's disease.

Please use this thread to post questions and comments at any time.

message 2: by RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (last edited Sep 16, 2020 03:36PM) (new)

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments Mod
Aloha All,

How are folks doing with this book? It is open all year.

I do not say it enough. I rarely say this. It is because of Di we have these books discussions. She is the one that takes the time to make these monthly book quizzes. She is the moderator ship caption of this group. I am not kissing up. I do not like to sugar coat. Mahalo Dee for all you do!

Mahalo,
RM
🇺🇸🦋💀🐼

message 3: by Di (new)

Di | 369 comments Mod
RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) wrote: "Aloha All,

How are folks doing with this book? It is open all year.

I do not say it enough. I rarely say this. It is because of Di we have these books discussions. She is the one that takes the ..."

if only I had time to read all of these books too... :D

message 4: by Neha (new) - added it

Neha Nihalani (neha_nihalani) | 2 comments I just started this book today and have only read the first chapter, but the book makes a lot of sense. I love the theory about how the mind and body are connected and it feels like things are clicking in place reading this. Normally, I'm not a fan of non-fiction, but auto-immune diseases run in my family, and until today, I just figured it was all genetic...

Neha wrote: "I just started this book today and have only read the first chapter, but the book makes a lot of sense. I love the theory about how the mind and body are connected and it feels like things are clic..."

Ah, that make sense. Are you finish with the book now? Probably are with my late response. If you did finish, what did you think?

Mahalo for commenting

Brittany | 11 comments This book had a profound effect on me when I read it for the first time (last year, I believe) and part of my 2020 goal was to reduce stress in my life because of the things I’ve read in this book. It really is a killer and it affects every aspect of your life when not controlled.

Brittany wrote: "This book had a profound effect on me when I read it for the first time (last year, I believe) and part of my 2020 goal was to reduce stress in my life because of the things I’ve read in this book...."
That is very deep Brittany. Mahalo for commenting on this on as well! I hope stress is getting better for you.

message 8: by Di (new)

Di | 369 comments Mod
There is a movie premiere for a donation available soon featuring Gabor Mate about The Wisdom of Trauma. Details:
https://wisdomoftrauma.com/

Calla Reviews كالا | 8 comments This book is an excellent way to break in 2022. Its a rather excellent book to have anytime if I may say so. Instinctively, I think we know the information in this book to be true. I know many people, myself included, who suffered serious health complications during or after rather stressful life events. Overall an amazing book. One that should be read by medical professionals who do not use a whole body approach to care. Our medical system is so fragmented but the book makes sense by meshing the whole human.
Questions I had:
If the perception is what causes the stress
Then why would a person, lets says someone who uses positive thinking to get through things still fall ill? They are not perceiving negativity in their world? And if we say they are repressing their emotions, how can we be accurate that they are? And if by repressing we say never talking and trying not to think about it, how would something we are avoiding\ are not consciously aware of cause stress.

How could a person with a mental disorder correct this? And would they be doubly likely to become ill due to the unrelenting stress, fear and guilt they live with? Especially if it involves perception. Take someone with GAD, who cannot control their triggers and is almost always anxious how would they better protect themselves in this situation. Their perception is skewed.

How as a parent do you avoid instilling these issues. No parent is perfect and every child needs something different. One child may be adventurous and need more space, if you have a clingy parenting style you are lessening their autonomy causing them to feel suffocated and unable to grow up.
On the other hand if you are have an adventurous parent style, with a clingy child, they may feel emotionally abandoned and alone.

I think the section about anger is extremely interesting and I overall would have liked the solution section to have given more concrete examples of things you can do. Definitely a book I will read again!

message 10: by Di (new)

Di | 369 comments Mod
Calla wrote: "This book is an excellent way to break in 2022. Its a rather excellent book to have anytime if I may say so. Instinctively, I think we know the information in this book to be true. I know many peop..."

I believe that negative thinking can always make things and illnesses worse, however positive thinking doesn't necessarily make you healthy but it does help overcoming things.

GAD is most definitely perceptionally skewed. you are right. However in therapy they also recommend using affirmative sentences, writing down things we are grateful for which seems positive thinking to me.

Ive learned that parenting a child with different traits as you forces you to evolve as a person too not only as a parent. You need to find a compromise somewhere, take adventures with kid but also make sure to have alone time for clingy kids.

Glad you liked the book :)