The Reading Challenge Group discussion

2020 Genre Challenge > 2020 September: Historical Fiction or Non-fiction

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Rosemarie | 3960 comments Mod
Our genres for September are Historical Fiction and Non-fiction.
Happy reading everyone!

message 2: by Dubhease (new)

Dubhease | 64 comments I'm reading Becoming

message 3: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Good choice!

message 4: by Dubhease (new)

Dubhease | 64 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Good choice!"

I saw her on her speaking tour last year - I'm looking forward to the book.

message 6: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments Hi everyone! I have started The Last of the Mohicans, which I think counts as historical fiction. Has anyone read it and how did you find it? I am used to reading classics and old books, but I find it hard-going.

message 7: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

It definitely counts as historical fiction and was a slog for me. I liked The Pioneers a lot more.

message 8: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments Rosemarie, thanks for recommending that I read Someone Knows My Name for my bookopoloy challenge! It obviously worked for this month as well. I absolutely inhaled the book. It took me a short while (5-10%) to get going with the book, but once she was abducted, it just grabbed onto me and wouldn't let go. I was listening to the book at every opportunity and even had to force myself to stop last night so I could get a few hours of sleep. This is my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

If anyone is looking for a good historical fiction novel, this one definitely qualifies.

message 9: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments Dubhease wrote: "I'm reading Becoming"

I absolutely love that book! I saw her "Becoming" book tour thing on Netflix and really enjoyed that as well.

message 10: by Eileen (last edited Sep 02, 2020 05:24PM) (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments I think The Dutch House also qualifies as Historical Fiction and I listened to Tom Hanks performing that. I think the book was made better because he narrated it, but either way, I really enjoyed the story and the performance! I'm 2 for 2 this month, lol!

message 11: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I am so glad you liked the book, Eileen!

message 12: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I am so glad you liked the book, Eileen!"

Now I'm going to have to check out the other of his books that you recommended!

message 13: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments I just finished this book The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek and I think I liked it even more than Jojo Moyes' Giver of the Stars, which covered the same time period (the stories are completely different). It was easier to follow since there was only one POV, and I thought the MC was pretty awesome. Her mule was hilarious too and I cheered several times for her mule. This book also ended up being more relevant, since it talked about prejudice/racism against colored people (basically anyone who was not white, where the rules were all set by white men). I'm currently listening to The Pale-Faced Lie, which is a memoir by David Crow, and I can't stop listening. I keep thinking, "Okay, I'll stop after this chapter," but then I want to keep on going.

message 14: by Anu (last edited Sep 06, 2020 09:18PM) (new)

Anu (anu_datta) | 4 comments I am reading Daughters of the Sun: Empresses, Queens and Begums of the Mughal Empire by Ira Mukhoty. Information about Mughal royals women is so hard to come by and I hope this book fills those gaps.

message 15: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I have just finished Adolf Hitler: My Part in his Downfall by Spike Milligan-a humorous look at the author's training time in England before seeing action in Africa.

message 16: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments I just finished The Things We Cannot Say last night (the audio) and omg, I couldn't stop listening. I was bawling by the end, but also in a good way. It was so wonderful I can't wait to hear her latest book. I'm in the middle of Alice Hoffman's The World That We Knew and so far it's pretty decent, but it's not grabbing me the same way as The Things We Cannot Say.

message 17: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

For historical fiction, I have just finished Hope Leslie: or, Early Times in the Massachusetts by Catharine Maria Sedgwick. It was an enjoyable read.

message 18: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 818 comments I read Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck. It’s written as though it’s true, but some people criticise it & say a lot of it is fiction. I don’t know, but I enjoyed reading it.

message 19: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I read it and to me it has the ring of truth. I thought it was a fun read.

message 20: by Trisha (last edited Sep 12, 2020 01:20AM) (new)

Trisha | 818 comments I just finished reading Finding Rebecca by Eoin Dempsey. It’s fiction, set mostly during World War II.
Although it was a good book, I preferred White Rose, Black Forest by the same author, which I read earlier this year.

message 21: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments I was wrong--I ended up really liking Alice Hoffman's The World That We Knew, especially the ending. I also read The Secret Letter which was a random buy from Audible and loved that enough that I will probably look for more books by the author. I also loved Kelly Rimmer so much I decided to check out her latest book Truths I Never Told You and although I thought at first I wouldn't like it nearly as much as The Things We Cannot Say, I still ended up really enjoying it! I like her writing style quite a bit and will probably read Before I Let You Go sooner rather than later, although that one is not historical fiction. I'm currently making my way through Cutting for Stone which is pretty good so far.

message 22: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 871 comments Finished The Atomic City Girls - this was just so-so for me. I did not care for the writing.

message 23: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments Okay, so I'm listening to something unusual: Donor 9623. I'm finding it absolutely fascinating, lol! I think I had vaguely heard of cases like this way back when, but I never really looked more into it. It's pretty crazy, but I can't look away, lol.

message 24: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 871 comments I remember hearing about this slimeball. What a creep.

message 25: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments Cindy wrote: "I remember hearing about this slimeball. What a creep."

Yeah, I had heard vague things about him but never really paid that much attention. But geez!

message 26: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 871 comments Finished nonfiction history Hero Found: The Greatest POW Escape of the Vietnam War - about Dieter Dengler (and if you like Christian Bale - there's a movie about Dengler called Rescue Dawn - based on his escape). This was a harrowing - and yet, ultimately uplifting - tale for triumph. Dieter was a larger-than-life character.

message 27: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments That's interesting, Cindy! I may have to check it out at some point. More and more I'm starting to find nonfiction/memoirs to be interesting! I just finished Your Own Kind of Girl and although I had never heard of the singer/songwriter, Clare Bowditch, I found this really interesting! I'm now listening to The Vanishing Half and although it was a slow start for me, I slowly got drawn into the story and now I want to know how it will end! It definitely explores the whole light skinned vs darkskinned issue among people of color and in general society.

message 28: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 871 comments One book I read a few years ago that I found interesting was The Seven Daughters of Eve. Reminds you that we are all the children of just a few women from Africa, all sisters at the start.

message 29: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments Cindy wrote: "One book I read a few years ago that I found interesting was The Seven Daughters of Eve. Reminds you that we are all the children of just a few women from Africa, all sisters at the start."

Do you know who wrote it? When I enter the title, I get three different books...

message 31: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 871 comments Eileen wrote: "Is it this one? The Seven Daughters of Eve: The Science That Reveals Our Genetic Ancestry"

Yes, I think it was...it's been a while but when I went back and looked at the description, it sure looks like it. I remember it was very interesting.

message 32: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments I have been reading The Last of the Mohicans in fits and starts. I'm finding it difficult for a few reasons but I want to know what happens to the two sisters (I have never seen the film!). I have also finished Ramage & the Drumbeat - an exciting adventure which isn't too taxing on the brain.

message 33: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments Interesting! I didn't realize (but perhaps should have) it was a book! I've seen the movie, but not for a very long time!

I just finished reading Invisible Man and that was a real trip, but also really sad realizing just how relevant it is today.

message 34: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I read Invisible Man earlier this year. It was a rewarding reading experience.

message 35: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I read Invisible Man earlier this year. It was a rewarding reading experience."

I didn't know what to expect, but I'm so glad I finally read it!

message 36: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 871 comments Finished The Call of the Wild - I liked it, but I’ve always liked dog stories...

message 37: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments Some day I'll give that book a try, Cindy! I'm currently making my way through The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration and it is very eye-opening. In some ways, it reminds me of The Grapes of Wrath, partly because it focuses on the migration of 3 different people in particular, but she also talks about the history of racism and black migration in this country. Highly recommended. I'm looking forward to reading Caste sooner rather than later.

message 38: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments I had a good month and ended up being able to read the following nonfiction and historical fiction books. I really enjoyed this month's reads!

Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia The Education of an Idealist A Memoir by Samantha Power The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson Everything My Mother Taught Me by Alice Hoffman The Pale-Faced Lie by David Crow The Things We Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer The World That We Knew by Alice Hoffman The Secret Letter by Debbie Rix Truths I Never Told You by Kelly Rimmer Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese Donor 9623 by Dov Fox Sheryl Crow Words + Music by Sheryl Crow Lady in Waiting My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown by Anne Glenconner Your Own Kind of Girl by Clare Bowditch The Case of the Missing Marquess (Enola Holmes #1) by Nancy Springer The Case of the Left-Handed Lady (Enola Holmes #2) by Nancy Springer The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Enola Holmes, #3) by Nancy Springer The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan (Enola Holmes #4) by Nancy Springer The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline (Enola Holmes #5) by Nancy Springer The Case of the Gypsy Good-Bye (Enola Holmes, #6) by Nancy Springer

message 39: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I'm glad you had a good reading month.

message 40: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I'm glad you had a good reading month."

I discovered at least a couple of new authors, which is always great!

message 41: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments I have finished The Last of the Mohicans and I didn't enjoy it.

message 42: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments Sonia wrote: "I have finished The Last of the Mohicans and I didn't enjoy it."

That's unfortunate. But at least you can check it off your list. I hope your next book is a great one!

message 43: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Sonia-I didn't like it either. I enjoyed Cooper's The Pioneers, but not this one. I don't understand how it ended up on so many lists!

message 44: by Gulshan (new)

Gulshan Naqvee (x1f98agulshanx1f970x1f970) | 14 comments Looks like I'm late to the party! I wasn't aware about migration/color genre book challenge but somehow i read amazing books recently.
I'm YA reader. The issues are dealt delicately.
I recently read- Brown Girl Dreaming (Jacqueline Woodson)
Betty before X (Betty Shabaz) wife of Malcolm X.

Kelly Yang's Front desk (Chinese migration to USA) and now reading it's sequel 'Three Keys'
they have real life inputs from author's life
another migration story by Kelly yang 'Parachutes'

message 45: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I loved Brown Girl Dreaming!

message 46: by Gulshan (new)

Gulshan Naqvee (x1f98agulshanx1f970x1f970) | 14 comments oh, yes I liked the way how it was written. Quite unique and to the point.

message 47: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments I love Jacqueline Woodson--I'm going to have to read Brown Girl Dreaming! And I think I'll check out Kelly Yang's book out. All of these books would be great for November!

message 48: by Gulshan (new)

Gulshan Naqvee (x1f98agulshanx1f970x1f970) | 14 comments plz read/listen to Kelly Yang's Front desk .. you will be happy to know this girl

message 49: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1631 comments Gulshan wrote: "plz read/listen to Kelly Yang's Front desk .. you will be happy to know this girl"

Okay, thanks for the recommendations. I was able to get a copy of Front Desk and Parachutes and I have Three Keys on request. I'll add them to my November TBR list.

message 50: by Gulshan (new)

Gulshan Naqvee (x1f98agulshanx1f970x1f970) | 14 comments wonderful looking forward to your views