Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Freckles & A Girl of the Limberlost
Archive YA/Children Group Read > 2020 September: Freckles and Girl of the Limberlost

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Rosemarie | 8402 comments Mod
Please join us this month as we read two delightful North American classics- Freckles & A Girl of the Limberlost Freckles & A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter by Gene Stratton-Porter Gene Stratton-Porter .
Happy reading!

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1214 comments I’ll be starting with Freckles soon.

message 3: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

So will I!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 186 comments I'm in!

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1214 comments I’m enjoying Freckles so far. The character of Freckles is an uplifting person who strives to do his best. The setting of the Limberlost swamp in Indiana is beautifully described.

message 6: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

That's good to hear, Kathy.

message 7: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I have read about a third of Freckles and admit that I have been teary-eyed in a good way at times. That poor boy/young man growing up without love.

message 8: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Lesle | 5659 comments Mod
Rosemarie I knew Freckles was a boy but Freckles by Gene Stratton-Porter my addition doesnt mention Girl of the Limberlost Freckles is it the same book?

message 9: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (last edited Sep 08, 2020 10:54AM) (new)

The Girl of the Limberlost is a separate book, part 2 in the Limberlost set of books.
Some editions have both books.

message 10: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Sep 08, 2020 10:59AM) (new)

Oh so I just have the first part than.
That isnt even my edition not sure what I clicked on.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1214 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I have read about a third of Freckles and admit that I have been teary-eyed in a good way at times. That poor boy/young man growing up without love."

Freckles just wants someone to love him. He is a sweet character. I'm enjoying all the characters - the Angel and the Bird Woman especially.

message 12: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I really enjoyed this story, even though it did get a bit melo-dramatic towards the end. Freckles is a special character indeed.
The descriptions of the swamp are just wonderful.

message 13: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Sep 11, 2020 03:53AM) (new)

Hoping to read the book I have Rosemarie, hope thats ok, after I read Two on a Tower.

message 14: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Smith | 2111 comments What is a limberlost???

message 15: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

The Limberlost is a swamp and forest with lots of old growth trees.

message 16: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Smith | 2111 comments Thanks. A curious name. Wiki says it comes from the Miami language. But the name is also used for a reserve in Ontario, which is a long way from Florida.

message 17: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Sep 21, 2020 11:41AM) (new)

I started just plain Freckles today at lunch. I completed the first chapter.

I cannot believe he never was given a legal name that he knew to call himself. Just a nickname!

I am happy that Mr McLean liked the conversation with Freckles enough to give him a job and his Father's name. I think this will turn out to be a good relationship between them.
The job seems rough so crossing fingers for Freckles!

message 18: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Mr. McClean is a wise person. He is also very smart.

message 19: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

He seems like a moral type person. To glean what he did about Freckles from that short interview it's like he is taking him under his wing :)

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1214 comments Freckles and Mr. McLean are wonderful characters, as are so many more that you will read about, Lesle.

message 21: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Thank you Kathy. Seems like a good read to enjoy!

message 22: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

I love the descriptions of the swamp. The Luna moth and the birds pairings. His year has been very good for him and made him a much healthier person as well.

message 23: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I've started Girl of the Limberlost and the Bird Woman is in this book too. They mention Freckles at the beginning of the book, which takes place a number of years later.

message 24: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1214 comments I'm about halfway through Girl of the Limberlost and enjoying it very much. I am puzzled and upset about the behavior and attitude of Mrs. Comstock toward her daughter. She's mean, then she'll do something nice. Then repeat.

message 25: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I noticed that about her mother too. I think she has mental or emotional problems that have been festering for years.

message 26: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1214 comments I ended up finding Girl of the Limberlost a pleasant book. Sometimes the conversations went on too long, belaboring a character’s expressions.

message 27: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Pleasant is a good description of that book. I liked Freckles alot until the ending. I am glad it worked out well for him but I didn't appreciate the author's comments about social class distinctions.

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1214 comments I agree, Rosemarie. You can tell the book was written over 100 years ago.

message 29: by Brian (last edited Oct 12, 2020 06:27AM) (new)

Brian Reynolds | 3808 comments Bernard wrote: "Thanks. A curious name. Wiki says it comes from the Miami language. But the name is also used for a reserve in Ontario, which is a long way from Florida."

The Miami are a Native American nation among the Great Lakes tribes and occupied territory that is now North-central Indiana, southwest Michigan, and western Ohio.

As to the City of Miami in Florida, there was an Indian tribe in Florida, the Mayaimi (who lived around Lake Mayaimi (now Lake Okeechobee) in Florida . Mayaimi meant "big water."
The Mayaimis have no relationship with the Miamis of the Great Lakes. The city of Miami is named after the Miami River, which derived its name from Lake Mayaimi.

Miami University is located in the southwest Ohio town of Oxford.
The University of Miami is located in Coral Gables Florida a town next to Miami Florida

The Limberlost is a swamp in the eastern part of Indiana and is fairly near to where Gene Stratton-Porter grew up.