Horror Aficionados discussion

Slaves to Gravity
This topic is about Slaves to Gravity
Group Reads: Guest Author Invite > September 2020 Group Read #2 with Guest Authors, Wesley Southard & Somer Canon

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1531 comments Mod
This is the thread for out September 2020 Group Read #2 with Guest Authors, Wesley Southard & Somer Canon. This month, we will be reading their collaboration, SLAVES TO GRAVITY. You can grab a copy of the book at the link below. Please help me welcome to HA, Wesley Southard and Somer Canon!

https://www.amazon.com/Slaves-Gravity...

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments Welcome!! 😊. This book is on kindle unlimited US too

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6161 comments Mod
Welcome Wesley and Somer! Thank you for joining us!!

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 57 comments Welcome!

message 5: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Cavendish | 285 comments Slaves to Gravity is a fantastic read. I really enjoyed it - full of unexpected twists and turns

message 6: by Wesley (new)

Wesley Southard (wesleysouthard) | 31 comments Hey, everyone! Thanks for having us! If anyone has any questions about the book or about Somer and myself, please don't hesitate to ask.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments Thank you, Wesley!

message 8: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11078 comments Mod
Welcome and thank you for joining us Wesley and Somer!

message 9: by Wesley (new)

Wesley Southard (wesleysouthard) | 31 comments So I'm curious, has anyone here already read SLAVES TO GRAVITY?

Wesley wrote: "So I'm curious, has anyone here already read SLAVES TO GRAVITY?"

Not yet, but I do plan on joining in this group read!

message 11: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Cavendish | 285 comments Wesley wrote: "So I'm curious, has anyone here already read SLAVES TO GRAVITY?"

I have - and I loved it!

message 12: by Latasha (new)

No I haven’t read it.

message 13: by Catherine (last edited Sep 01, 2020 05:28AM) (new) - added it

Catherine Cavendish | 285 comments So... who likes to curl up in front of a blazing wood fire, while, outside, the wind howls, the seagulls cry and the waves crash mercilessly on the rocks below?

Char  | 14382 comments Mod
That sounds great to me, Catherine!

Hello and welcome, Somer and Wesley! We're so happy to have you!

message 15: by Latasha (new)

That sounds lovely Catherine. I’ll take that setting.

message 16: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Cavendish | 285 comments Latasha wrote: "That sounds lovely Catherine. I’ll take that setting."

Latasha wrote: "That sounds lovely Catherine. I’ll take that setting."
I have just posted that in the wrong place! Sorry, Wes and Somer!

Andrew Tucker | 23 comments I am halfway through and really enjoying the book. Its starting to take a dark turn...

What inspired you to take on the theme of traumatic accidents inducing the ability to fly?

How did you decide to collaborate on this book as a team?

message 18: by Char (last edited Sep 04, 2020 07:28AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm going to try to read this over the weekend. I hope this book spurs some fun discussion!

message 19: by Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ (last edited Sep 08, 2020 07:17AM) (new)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments I’m hoping to try. I might be late to the party as usual. I have a lot of physical books stacked around I need to work on as we are getting blinds put up and there is stuff all over 🙄

Just starting this one now!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments It’s going to be late for me. Sigh. I’m hoping you all like it 😊

message 22: by Char (last edited Sep 09, 2020 12:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I started yesterday and up to about 20%. So far, so good!
I used to have flying dreams when I was a teenager.

I was going to ask the same questions Andrew asked above.

message 23: by Wesley (new)

Wesley Southard (wesleysouthard) | 31 comments Hey, everyone! Sorry I haven't been on lately. Went on vacation over the last weekend and I'm still getting caught up on things. Hope everyone's having a great week!

message 24: by Wesley (new)

Wesley Southard (wesleysouthard) | 31 comments Andrew wrote: "I am halfway through and really enjoying the book. Its starting to take a dark turn...

What inspired you to take on the theme of traumatic accidents inducing the ability to fly?

How did you decid..."

To be completely honest, I can't remember. The idea for this story was something that had been tumbling around in my head for many years before the first word was typed. When I knew this book would be about people gaining the ability to fly, why give something so extraordinary to someone able-bodied? Someone like Charlie who's had the use of her legs taken from her could appreciate a gift like that so much more.

As far as the collaboration goes, I hadn't worked on a story with anyone in nearly a decade, the last being a novelette I co-wrote with a friend called "Home Invasion" which is in my short story collection RESISTING MADNESS. I've been wanting to so something like that again for a long time, and since Somer and I have been close friends for a while and I was a big fan of her work, it was a no-brainer.

message 25: by Wesley (new)

Wesley Southard (wesleysouthard) | 31 comments Char wrote: "I started yesterday and up to about 20%. So far, so good!
I used to have flying dreams when I was a teenager.

I was going to ask the same questions Andrew asked above."

I've never had flying dreams, but I still have occasional ones of running away from someone and my feet not moving, like I'm running through oil. Scary stuff!

message 26: by Wesley (new)

Wesley Southard (wesleysouthard) | 31 comments How's everyone doing?