#ClassicsCommunity 2021 Reading Challenge discussion

Heidi
This topic is about Heidi
Buddy Reads > Sept. Children's Classic: Heidi

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by library girl reading (last edited Aug 29, 2020 04:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) For September I thought we'd read Heidi! I have found memories of me reading it and wishing I could be Heidi and live in the Swiss Alps when I was young.

It comes in at about 263 pages or less depending on your edition so I thought we could do 1 check in on Sept. 14th

Hope you can join me as we read this wonderful children's classic. I might just have to watch the movie afterwards.

Hope that works if not and you'd like to join in let me know what day works better!

message 2: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia Great! I've never read Heidi; looking forward to it! Sept. 14th works for me:)

Janice | 193 comments I haven't read Heidi for years. :) I love the movie with Shirley Temple :) And the 14th works for me too. Again, thank you for planning these children's classics buddy reads; I love them. <3

message 4: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela (anglogdev) | 7 comments I’ve never read Heidi but I’ve wanted to. I’m in :)

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Heidi discussion time :)

Was this the first time you've read Heidi? Have you seen one of the movies?

Heidi loved her life on the mountain instantly - could you imagine living on the mountain or away from the hustle and bustle of life?

Heidi was such a sweet loving girl that made a impact on everyone she was around. What did you think of all the relationships in the book?

Peter was upset about sharing Heidi but what do you think of him destroying Clara's chair?

message 6: by library girl reading (last edited Sep 14, 2020 07:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) This wasn't the first time reading it but it's been so long it felt like the first time reading it. I also did the book and then afterwards the audiobook and it was so fun to be in the swiss alps and Heidi's world. I saw the movie with Shirley Temple when I was younger but haven't seen it since.

I would love the live on the mountain or in a forest somewhere. Right now where I live is a small driving distance from anywhere to shop so it's nice and quiet and I love having all kinds of wildlife from foxes, coyotes, etc..

I just loved her infectious positivity and was so sad when she was literally getting sick because she missed home so much! I admire Clara's dad because even though he knew it would hurt his daughter to send Heidi back home he knew he had to because Heidi was hurting. I think he thought of Heidi as a second daughter. I loved all the relationships and they were each special in their own way but I think Clara and Heidi were my favorite!

Peter was totally out of line and while I get it all turned out and actually he helped Clara in the fact that she then had to walk. However he shouldn't have been forgiven so easy in my opinion. I can't imagine being that jealous that you'd do something like that though so probably wrong person to answer this question. :)

Can't wait to hear your thoughts....

message 7: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia Oops, the discussion for Heidi has caught me needing to catch up! When I catch up I'll be back! I'm loving this book:)

message 8: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 18 comments Shannon wrote: "For September I thought we'd read Heidi! I have found memories of me reading it and wishing I could be Heidi and live in the Swiss Alps when I was young.

It comes in at about 263 pages or less de..."

Hey! I bought this book recently and am happy to see that this group has picked it up. I am going to start reading shortly. :) :)

message 9: by library girl reading (last edited Sep 14, 2020 04:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Tiffany wrote: "Shannon wrote: "For September I thought we'd read Heidi! I have found memories of me reading it and wishing I could be Heidi and live in the Swiss Alps when I was young.

It comes in at about 263 ..."

Welcome and come back and share your thoughts when your done! We do a children's book a month so feel free to join up any time! :)

message 10: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 18 comments I've been meaning to read Heidi for years. I think a Dear Canada book name dropped the book a lot and made it sound really interesting. I am looking forward to reading this book. ^^

Janice | 193 comments This is not my first time reading Heidi, but it has been quite a long time since I've read it. The only version that I've seen is the movie with Shirley Temple, and I plan on watching it when I'm done reading the book, but we find it especially upsetting when the aunt comes and basically kidnaps Heidi to take her to Frankfurt and how she promised Heidi she could go home whenever she wanted. Also, how cruel Miss Rottenmeir is!!! :( As I was reading those sections, it was just as upsetting as seeing it in the movie. And how sad and homesick Heidi was each day and that from day one, she wanted to go home. I can't believe some of the adults could be so cruel, especially to a little child. I've just finished reading how Clara's father is sending Heidi home on doctor's orders, and he, himself, knows this is the best for Heidi, and I believe Clara does as well. It is evident that Clara, her father, and her grandmamma all love Heidi very dearly and want her to be happy and healthy. <3 I am so happy that Heidi gets to go home. I loved Heidi's relationships with each person in the book except for her aunt, Miss Rottenmeir, and Tinette. She softened everybody's hearts except for those three. Even the older man in the city allowed her to climb the tower and gave her the kittens I would love to live near water such as an ocean or natural lake away from the hustle and bustle. I love nature and need to be in it everyday. <3 I haven't read the part about Peter yet, but it is wrong to do what he did because of his jealousy.

message 12: by Gia (last edited Sep 16, 2020 05:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia I've finished the book and feeling sad it's over; I didn't want it to end.

This is the first time I've read Heidi. I will see the movie soon because when I bought my book I also bought the movie, both from a used bookstore on the same day. That was a treat! I wanted to finish reading the book before I see the movie, which I will watch this weekend.

Yes, I can completely imagine living life on the mountain away from the hustle and bustle of life. My Heidi book is a picture book for which I'm so grateful! The pictures helped me really get into the book and life on the mountain, etc. I loved seeing all the beautiful pictures while reading the book! Such a gift!

I really enjoyed all of Heidi's relationships in the book, especially the one with Heidi and her grandfather, also her relationships with the two grandmothers and Klara were especially sweet. I didn't like Heidi's aunt's character or Tinette. However, I thought Frau Rottenheimer was perfectly hilarious; whenever she got upset (frequently) I laughed out loud! Sebastian was funny at times too.

It wasn't nice at all what Peter did to Klara's chair but I sure enjoyed reading all about how this act affected him almost immediately after he did it. He certainly caused himself much suffering and torment, which the the grandfather and the grandmamma in her great wisdom knew.

I loved this book! I didn't want it to end:)

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Gia wrote: "I've finished the book and feeling sad it's over; I didn't want it to end.

This is the first time I've read Heidi. I will see the movie soon because when I bought my book I also bought the movie,..."

I know I forgot how much I loved this book, I think I might even love it a little more than Anne!

message 14: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela (anglogdev) | 7 comments I am 50 years old and had never read Heidi. How could I not have read this book? It was a joy to read. Such a ray of sunshine. I’m so happy you suggested it. I loved everything about Heidi. I could definitely live in the mountains away from everything. I live in a suburb now and I wish I could be surrounded by nature. To sit outside and not see lots of other people surrounding you. To be able to wander with the animals and look at the flowers and sled in the snow and sleep under the stars. It sounds so idyllic. Yes, there were characters that weren’t kind but for me it made the book more believable. It’s easy to be kind when everyone around you is kind and loving. Heidi staying kind even when faced with those unlikable characters shows her true character. She’s kind and loving even when she doesn’t get it in return. Yes, Peter was wrong but he was a child. We all make bad choices sometimes so I wasn’t happy about it but I don’t hold it against him. Once again, to me this made the story more believable. Grandfather was my absolute favorite character. I thought he was the sweetest and it made me wish I was as blessed as Heidi to have a grandfather like that. I read the Puffin in Bloom edition and it’s absolutely beautiful. I love that one of you read it as a picture book. I bet that was gorgeous. I tried to watch two different adaptations but they both started off so differently than the book that I stopped watching and decided to just stay with the memory of the book. Why mess with perfection as I always love the book more than the movie anyway??!!