Play Book Tag discussion

The Grand Canyon (Time-Life American Wilderness Series)
This topic is about The Grand Canyon
August 2020: Other Books > (Poll Ballot) The Grand Canyon by Robert Wallace - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2234 comments This book, part of the Time Life series, is a fairly entertaining look at one of the most beautiful natural formations in the world: the Grand Canyon. I was not terribly interested in the geology of the area but if that is your interest, this book will exhaustively explain it all. I did really enjoy the descriptions of the flora and fauna of the area (a cacomistle is too cute for words!) and the Native Americans who have made it their home for thousands of years. There is a great deal of interesting history in which people first explored the canyon and even some modern day thrill seekers who brave the frightening white water rapids. The photographs are not too enthralling but then again this book is from the early 70's and things have changed immeasurably in the field. I have only been to the Canyon once and that was on a cloudy, cold rainy day. This book makes we want to revisit it soon.

message 2: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5681 comments Ellen wrote: "This book, part of the Time Life series, is a fairly entertaining look at one of the most beautiful natural formations in the world: the Grand Canyon. I was not terribly interested in the geology o..."

I didn't have any interest in visiting it before, but now I really want to. My husband raved about The Emerald Mile: The Epic Story of the Fastest Ride in History Through the Heart of the Grand Canyon. He has a geology degree and he's been white water rafting, which might have helped a bit.

Ellen | 2234 comments Definitely go, Nancy. It is breathtaking and quite beyond imagination.