You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin
This topic is about Rump
Buddy Reads > Fairytale Retelling - Rump

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jannene | 2900 comments Cherie and I plan on starting this shortly. Dom is trying to get it at her library.

Jenn | 2367 comments Oooooh, that looks fun, and my library has the audiobook, so I’ll watch for a start date

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50533 comments I'll add the buddy read to the calendar once you have a start date.

message 4: by Ayacchi (new) - added it

Ayacchi | 1131 comments I want to joiinn

Jannene | 2900 comments Let’s start Sept 1. Dom has it on hold at her library. Hopefully she will get it by then.

Cherie may have already started since I told her I would and then created the buddy thread.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20374 comments I have not started yet. I have the ebook from my library downloaded and ready to go. 😊

I’m reading one of the author’s other books for another task today.

message 7: by Ayacchi (new) - added it

Ayacchi | 1131 comments I've downloaded it and can start once I finish my body part :)

message 8: by Cherie (last edited Sep 01, 2020 12:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 20374 comments I read the first two chapters.

After finishing Jack: The True Story of Jack and the Beanstalk yesterday, it seems that this story takes place in the land of the giants. (I read the introductions to the other three books that were included at the end of Jack. I think all three of them do.) There are names mentioned already that I recognize from Jack, but they are younger versions here. I do not think it is going to matter, but I will have to keep the spoilers in mind, since I know what happened to them later in life, in Jack.

The published order of the books is Rump, Jack, Red, and Grump. Looks like I should have read our buddy read book first.
I was not too interested in Red, but it looks like I might check it out, after reading Rump.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20374 comments Interesting. I like the atmosphere of this story and the way it is being told much better than I liked Jack. I have not rolled my eyes once yet. I finished chapter four. I would go on, but I need to quit and get some work done. Lots of foreshadowing in chapter four. (view spoiler)

message 10: by Ayacchi (new) - added it

Ayacchi | 1131 comments I watched the animation yesterday and was quite amazed on knowing who Rump actually is. And after reading chapter 1, I wonder if (view spoiler)

Jannene | 2900 comments Ayacchi wrote: "I watched the animation yesterday and was quite amazed on knowing who Rump actually is. And after reading chapter 1"

(view spoiler)

Jannene | 2900 comments Cherie(view spoiler)

I’m glad I started with Rump since it was the first in the series. I also have Grump on hold but perhaps I will hold off and read Red after this one.

message 13: by Ayacchi (new) - added it

Ayacchi | 1131 comments Cherie - At first I thought that (view spoiler)

Jannene - I hope so! Such a poor little boy

Btw, I'm on chapter 8. I like it better (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20374 comments Ayacchi wrote: "I watched the animation yesterday and was quite amazed on knowing who Rump actually is. And after reading chapter 1, I wonder if [spoilers removed]"

What animation?

message 15: by Cherie (last edited Sep 02, 2020 12:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 20374 comments re pixies (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20374 comments I am going to have lunch and read a few more chapters.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20374 comments I read chapter five thru twelve.

First, let me say what an idiot I feel like. This is the second book in this series and until chapter eleven, in this one, I completely MISSED how the shortened form of King Barf’s name came about. (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20374 comments Chapter five (view spoiler)

Chapter six (view spoiler)

message 19: by Ayacchi (last edited Sep 02, 2020 04:10PM) (new) - added it

Ayacchi | 1131 comments Cherie wrote: "What animation?"

this one https://youtu.be/bJibJBUEvbU

(view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20374 comments Ayacchi - I watched the video last night, but the audio was messed up. I had never seen it before, but I recognized the story. I think the one we are reading is going to be different.

message 21: by Ayacchi (new) - added it

Ayacchi | 1131 comments Really? It was fine on me. I wasn't in the mood to read the Grimm's version so I just watched it. Surely it has a different storyline

Chapter 9 (view spoiler)

Jannene | 2900 comments Chapter 9(view spoiler)

Jannene | 2900 comments Chapter 13(view spoiler)

I too have never seen that animation.

Jannene | 2900 comments Chapters 13-25(view spoiler)

message 25: by Jannene (last edited Sep 07, 2020 02:55PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jannene | 2900 comments Chapters 25-end (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20374 comments Jannene - I saw you finished and posted it to your trivia challenge. I was determined to finish my monthly challenge book this weekend. I just did!

I have really enjoyed this story and I am anxious to finish and see how it ends. It kind of wandered around a little but not too badly. I just noticed that I posted my status for the audiobook that I was reading instead of where I was in THIS book. I’m at chapter 25 Warnings from Red. (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20374 comments I finished the book tonight because I wanted to report it in my yearly challenge list with the other book that I finished. I really liked the ending of the story. I thought the author made some great points and I liked how she explained the destiny etc. I am looking forward to reading Red, but not for a while.

Regarding the author's note (view spoiler)

Jannene | 2900 comments I had a coworker that spelled her name the same way as yours.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20374 comments I have only met one other person who did. I hate it when people always ask me how to spell it, especially at Starbucks. For some reason, I can never remember to tell them Agnes or Sue or something. I am always amazed when I am with my daughter and they want to know how she spells Amy. She just gives them “The Look”.

Jannene | 2900 comments Too funny!

message 31: by Ayacchi (new) - added it

Ayacchi | 1131 comments My name is a very common one and is unisex, with variation spellings. People often ask me how to spell it and worse, they think I'm a boy. And I'm on a point that I don't bother anymore to correct it.

About the book, (view spoiler)

Jannene | 2900 comments Ayacchi (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20374 comments I agree with you both being annoyed about Rump thinking that he HAD to help Opal, but on the other hand, if he didn't there would have been no way for him to get her third "gift" either. It was really the story tie-in.