Play Book Tag discussion

A Visit from the Goon Squad
This topic is about A Visit from the Goon Squad
August 2020: Other Books > [Bingo] [Poll Ballot] A Visit from the Good Squad by Jennifer Egan - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 4034 comments A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan - 3 stars - My Review

I found this book both creative and bizarre. It is a non-linear narrative that skips around to different characters and timelines. It seems like a sequence of short stories, but there a few interrelationships among them. I enjoyed the writing style, but the structure was too disjointed for my taste. I was unable to discern a primary story arc. It is loosely related to music, the celebrity scene, and the ravages of time. The author inserts a slide presentation into one of the chapters. It will likely appeal to readers of experimental fiction. Published in 2010, this book won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 2011.

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3824 comments I've had this on my TBR forever but the structure always has me leaving it behind for other things.

message 3: by Joy D (last edited Sep 11, 2020 01:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy D | 4034 comments Well, I read it for the Poll Ballot and Bingo challenges, or probably it would still be sitting on my TBR as well.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5676 comments I read this years ago with a bookclub, and I probably liked it a bit more than others in the group. The thing I remember best was the bizarre music industry strategy to target babies. The parents let babies decide which music to buy. It reminded me of how shocked people were in the 1960's when companies started catering to baby boomers.

Joy D | 4034 comments NancyJ wrote: "I read this years ago with a bookclub, and I probably liked it a bit more than others in the group. The thing I remember best was the bizarre music industry strategy to target babies. The parents l..."

Glad you enjoyed it, Nancy. I liked it but found it hard to really get absorbed in.

Hilde (hilded) | 421 comments NancyJ wrote: "I read this years ago with a bookclub, and I probably liked it a bit more than others in the group. The thing I remember best was the bizarre music industry strategy to target babies. The parents l..."

I enjoyed it as well, it was unique!

Joy D | 4034 comments Hilde wrote: "I enjoyed it as well, it was unique!..."

Yes, I think its uniqueness is partly why it won the Pulitzer. I enjoy reading the prize winners, but they are "hit or miss" for me.