Antidepressionbookclub discussion

Monthly Discussions 2020 > August Book Discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by corina (last edited Aug 29, 2020 09:53AM) (new)

corina (introvertedwriter) | 12 comments Mod
You guys can now begin commenting here about your August reads.

Here are a few questions you can ask yourself to help with your responses (keep in mind these are purely optional!):

- Did you race to the end, or was it more of a slow burn?
- What did you think of the writing? Are there any standout sentences?
- Did you re-read any passages or areas?
- Would you want to read another book by this author?
- Did reading the book impact your mood?
- Is the book overrate or underrated?
- How did it impact you?
- Would you ever consider re-reading it?
- What are your thoughts on the book's structure? Did it serve the story well?
- How did the setting impact the story? Would you want to read more books set in that world?
- Did the book feel real to you

message 2: by melanie (new)

melanie loyola (melanieloyolaa) | 7 comments Well, I DNFed it hard so there is not much to say sadly. it was overall, one of the worst books I've laid my hands on this year, and trust me, there has been some bad ones. but yes, imma just skip this book and maybe read the second one in the series and move on with my life trying to forget this book. A Court of Thorns and Roses

message 3: by corina (last edited Aug 29, 2020 12:46PM) (new)

corina (introvertedwriter) | 12 comments Mod
The Light Between Worlds
While I've not yet finished my book, though I have every intention of finishing it soon, I've found a couple of things that stuck out to me. I was really drawn to this book when I bought it sometime last year (or maybe two years ago? who knows), and the intrigue was still there thankfully when I picked this book up again. The reason I was intrigued was because there were huge parallels between The Chronicles of Narnia and this one. Being a big fan of all things Narnia, and the fact that there was supposed to be a mystery surrounding the protagonists' disappearance, I was hooked from the get go.

Which brings me to my first point, the fact that we're 100 pages in and the protagonist is still perfectly fine...no mention of a disappearance on the horizons. Don't get me wrong, I love a good slow burn mystery, but Evelyn our main character and the youngest of the siblings, doesn't lead a very exciting life. She's in a London boarding school, she gardens on Saturdays, and swaps poems with her roommate, all while going on about how she misses the Woodlands and her life in the other world.

I'm someone who isn't easily bored by reading academic style plots focused on the year 1949, or following around philosophical protagonist who yearns for more, but I can see how her constant insatisfaction and the drawn out days of her life can bother or annoy another reader.

A plus about this book however is how well it shifts between the children's past five years in the Woodlands, and their present. It makes you keep reading because you want to find out why they left the Woodlands, why the kids can't seem to talk to each other anymore, and why Evelyn can't remember what happened that made them come back. But she is very determined to find her return home. Her spirit to stay in those Woodlands, despite knowing how selfish her desire is, is something I greatly admired because it's what I thought was missing from the Narniad children. They returned home as if they'd never even left, while here is this little girl who's grown up in this enchanted place and will do anything to go back. (Finally someone who isn't dumb enough to want to return to the real world lol).

Another good tid bit here was Georgie, Evelyn's roommate who is a POC. She comes back from a book club meeting fuming about how everyone there only wants to read "good english authors" to which she says "which of course means only white authors." I loved how she called this out! I feel that Evelyn's reaction could've been more supportive of her friend, especially knowing that both of them are trying to cope with the realities they're forced to live through. Though their problems are different, if your friend needs your support, and you know they're right in all the ways that count, you support them!

Though racial issues isn't the focus of the book, I believe the author had a great opportunity there to make the audience truly relate to the story, characters, plot, and the concepts as a whole, rather than having only the white population of her audience relating. She really did lack there.

All in all though, since this post of mine is getting rather long, I am enjoying dissecting the book and comparing it to the concepts I find that relate to Narnia. It's an easy pick me up book for when you really want to dive back into the nostalgia of childhood escapades and a decent mystery that won't rack your brain night and day yet still keep you mildly entertained. I don't think I'll be giving this a five star rating, maybe not even four stars, unless it starts to pick up the pace soon. I might like reading about gardening magical plants and how she tries and fails to communicate with the trees and the plants in the real world to go back to the Woodlands, but one can only go so far until they give up.
Hopefully I won't :)

message 4: by Breanna Potier (new)

Breanna Potier | 1 comments Although I’ve not yet finished my book, I still plan too. This book has not meet the expectation and hype I thought it would. Feyre is very annoying and thinks a bit to highly of herself. She doesn’t understand the consequences of her actions or she plainly ignores it. Tamlin and Lucien are okay characters but constantly change their attitude toward Feyre. Tamlin comes off as a possessive a-hole sometimes while Lucien hacks into Feyre’s emotions and often calls her names. It might not be a big deal yet it aggravates me a lot. I relate to Lucien using comedy to deflect serious situations. I completely understand and respect that their past has made them this way. I do enjoy the creatures and the described scenery.In conclusion, if I finish and I like the ending or find it worth it I’ll buy the next book. But I don’t have high expectations at all.

Rate: 3/5 as of being on chapter 30