Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Awards > award medals

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 21 comments My books have received The Author Shout Reader Ready Awards in 2019 not Nominations. Please correct the errors.

The Pacifist received Silver Medal Recommended Read.
Moirae received Bronze Medal Honourable Mention
The Blotted Line received Bronze Medal Honourable Mention.

http://authorshout.com/2019-reader-re...

message 2: by Emily (last edited Aug 31, 2020 06:05PM) (new)

Emily | 14715 comments The term "nomination" is used on all awards that are not the outright winners.
The Author Shout awards do not have a clear winner, so they should not have been added anyway per Goodreads standards. These awards are lists of books under each medal. The person who added the awards made a mistake; I'm sorry to be the one to point that out.

message 3: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 21 comments That is not correct. I have written emails to Author Shout and they told me these are legitimate awards. There are no mistakes made on their side. These are awards, not nominations, this is how they gave the books awards. It is their awards, not goodreads awards.

The books on that list are not nominations. They are awards. Please correct the error made by Goodreads under my books.

message 4: by Emily (last edited Aug 31, 2020 06:30PM) (new)

Emily | 14715 comments They are awards, by the definition of the word, yes. Just not awards by Goodreads standards.

message 5: by Emily (last edited Aug 31, 2020 06:30PM) (new)

Emily | 14715 comments Here is the policy for your reference.

A literary award should be presented periodically by a recognized literary source such as a writers' organization, book council, library association, publishing house, or major review site and should be subjectively selected by that source. Bestseller lists are not subjectively selected and should not be counted as awards.

Awards should have a clear winner; ranked lists are generally not considered awards. If an award has a middle tier such as an honor medal or a shortlist and is an award notable enough that other nominees are also listed, the award can be listed as two awards, one for the winner and the longlisted nominees and another for the shortlist.

Other non-award accomplishments such as bestseller lists or reading list selections should be noted in book descriptions.

https://help.goodreads.com/s/article/...

message 6: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 21 comments Emily wrote: "They are awards, yes. Just not awards by Goodreads standards."

Keith Brandon's book has been categorised a winner. His books was also the same as mine. How was that possible?

message 7: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 21 comments That should also be under nomination.

message 8: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 21 comments Mehreen wrote: "That should also be under nomination."

I do not want my books under nominations. They have not been nominated.

message 9: by Mehreen (last edited Aug 31, 2020 06:36PM) (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 21 comments I know your policy. But when an award giving site vets a book as award, Goodreads should respect that.

I do not wish my books listed as nomination.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6829 comments As this award does not comply with Goodreads standards, it has been removed. You are welcome to add it to the book description.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily | 14715 comments Mehreen wrote: "Emily wrote: "Keith Brandon's book has been categorised a winner. His books was also the same as mine. How was that possible?"

Someone must have entered it in error.

Mehreen wrote: "I know your policy. But when an award giving site vets a book as award, Goodreads should respect that.

I do not wish my books listed as nomination."

Then you will know that groups of books, with no clear winner among them, do not qualify to be in the awards field of the book record.

message 12: by Mehreen (last edited Aug 31, 2020 06:45PM) (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 21 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "As this award does not comply with Goodreads standards, it has been removed. You are welcome to add it to the book description."

This was a legitimate award and I have emails to prove that. This was how they award books and continue to do so. Regardless of your policies, I want this to be noted that I think it was wrong to not to respect this as award. It was wrong.

message 13: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 21 comments Emily wrote: "Mehreen wrote: "Emily wrote: "Keith Brandon's book has been categorised a winner. His books was also the same as mine. How was that possible?"

Someone must have entered it in error.

Mehreen wrote..."

It should qualify if the award giver has deemed it right to award the book as per their guidelines.