Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Team challenges) > PtP - The Emperor's New Crew (10)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 177 (177 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Aug 29, 2020 03:16PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments Team members

Jedi Knight
Camille

Wookies
Tiffany
Jamie (TRR)
HeatherMarie
Louise
Stefanie

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Aug 29, 2020 01:10AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments 1. Introduce yourself to your team. Let your team members know where you are from. This is a great to know when themes are announced and when team-mates can expect other members to post their book choices.

2. Jedi - reserve a couple of posts in this thread tracking your team's book selection and completion. (Alternatively they could convert a chat comment to the tracking post/s.)

3. Name your team. Using this round's theme of Disney+, come up with a team name. We are an open/public group with no age limit, so please make sure any chosen name is smart, not smutty ;)

Please PM your name to Jane(PS) by early Wednesday 4 September.

4. If you have a private profile, please 'friend' your team-mates. This is really important, because without this, your team-mates can't see your shelves to select a books under option 2.

5. Please post your book selections/completions in the format provided below. (This format is also posted in both the Q&A and Sign-Up threads.) We need to know the week that each book corresponds to, the page numbers, and how the book qualifies including names to lists/shelves (where applicable), etc. I can't stress this enough. When in doubt - link it*!

* don't link to your review in your completion post - reviews in your completion posts should be included in full within that post.

You don't want to start reading a book and then find it doesn't meet the requirements because some information (eg page count or theme link) was missing from your original post.

I will be monitoring this and your book will not be considered complete until I am satisfied that your selection and completion posts comply with the format rules of the challenge.

Remember - you can ONLY change your book selection in the week that the theme is called.

6. You MUST check in with your team each week, ideally once the theme is announced. Please let your team know if you expect to have spotty communication or are on holidays or having an operation.

7. When you post the completion of your book, you must post a review; enough for us to know you have actually read the book. Please don't link to a review. You must post the review in this thread.

8. Re-reads are allowed but you can't read the same book twice within this challenge.

9. There is no prize for the winning team - bragging rights only :)

10. Each week, the theme will be announced in the Q&A Annoucement thread. The full list of themes announced during this round will be maintained in msg 1 of that thread.

The Rule on the Pass Option
* Each team can only have ONE member using their pass each week.
* Each member can only use that pass once each 5 weeks.
* This means that one or two team members (dependent upon the size of your team) will miss using a pass in each 5 week block.
* No-one can use the pass option in the last week of the challenge.
* In the final week if Option 2 is used, members must select their book from another team. This will be advised in the week 11 announcement.

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments Key selection and completion post information. You must have ALL elements in your book posts.

The format for selection posts Option 1:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
How the book qualifies - please link or name the qualifying bookshelf/list where applicable (link if possible).
If the theme is based off the bookcover, post the cover. If there is a letter count in the title, publication date etc, please note these details.

The format for selection posts Option 2:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
Name of the team-member, their star rating, the date they read the book.

Format for completion posts:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Rating (1-5)
Review

Please DO NOT CHAT in these selection/completion posts. It needs to be super clear.

If you 'waffle' about your decided book - please REPOST your selection once you decide. DO NOT go back and edit your waffling post.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments I'll track each team's progress separately, using the Captain's summary in each team's thread to check for accuracy.

message 5: by Camille (last edited Aug 29, 2020 12:18PM) (new)

Camille | 327 comments Hello everyone and a hearty welcome to Team 10! Pass the Parcel has always been one of my favorite challenges so I'm really looking forwarding to playing it again. Most of all, though, I'm looking forward to getting to know you all! And, I'll confess here that I'll probably go tip-toeing through your book lists. I'm always on the prowl for more books.

A little something about me:
* I don't remember a time when I didn't read. Maybe my memory just doesn't go back that far, but as far back as I can remember my Dad would sit me on his lap and read the paper to me, using his finger to point out each word. That was my favorite part of the day!
* I live in the great state of Iowa. This time of year the humidity will about kill you but we take comfort in knowing that, at least, the corn is loving it.
* My idea of utopia is a good book to read while sipping on tea. I can't think of a better combination, unless you want to throw some oatmeal cookies into the mix.

I'm looking forward to learning something about you!

message 6: by Camille (last edited Aug 29, 2020 12:17PM) (new)

Camille | 327 comments Name Suggestions for Team 10
Due Wednesday, Sept 4

* Once upon a Team
* Snow White and the Bookish Dwarfs
* Disney Divas
* The Emperor's New Crew
* The Lady and the Champs

message 7: by Camille (last edited Oct 27, 2020 09:23AM) (new)

Camille | 327 comments Week #1 Status:
As of 9/22, All team mates are current. .

Week #2 Status:
As of 9/25, all team members are current.

Week #3 Status:
As of 10/19, all team members are current

Week #4 Status:
As of 10/27, all team members are current

Week #5 Status:
As of 10/19, all team members are current.

Week #6 Status:
As of 10/19, Heather Marie is missing a compeltion posts. All other entries are current.

Week #7 Status:
As of 10/27, all team members are current on selection posts. Jamie, Louise & Camille have posted completion posts.

Week #8 Status:
As of 10/27, Jamie, Louise and Camille have selection posts. Jamie & Camille have completion posts.

message 8: by Camille (new)

Camille | 327 comments Reserved

message 9: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 11 comments Hi Reading is my biggest pastime. I will read just about any genre. Loving in Arkansas. I like the name Snow White and the Bookish Dwarves

message 10: by Camille (new)

Camille | 327 comments Welcome, Tiffany!

message 11: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie | 201 comments Hi,

I am Stefanie from Germany. I love reading all kind of romance books M/F and M/M. I think this is my 4th PtP challenge and it was always fun.

message 12: by Louise (new)

Louise | 859 comments Hi I’m Louise from South Wales. I love reading although my reading has taking a huge hit recently. My partner of 18yrs passed away after a short illness at the end of last month and my concentration for physical books has waned. I currently work from home which has been a blessing as I can lose myself in an audio book.

I have a 4yr old springer/daschund Cross who has kept me sane through these difficult times and is a great source of comfort when I’m feeling low. I think this is my 4th PtP and am looking forward to it.

message 13: by Louise (new)

Louise | 859 comments Camille wrote: "Name Suggestions for Team 10
Due Wednesday, Sept 4

* Once upon a Team
* Snow White and the Bookish Dwarfs
* Disney Divas
* The Emperor's New Crew
* The Lady and the Champs"

I like The Emperor’s New Crew
A play on Star Wars and Disney

message 14: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie | 201 comments Oh my, team name 🤔. I like Snow White or the Emperor‘s

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 927 comments Hello, team! I love PtP. This is my fifth or sixth time participating and it's a blast every single time. Looking forward to this round.

As for team name my pick is The Emperor’s New Crew. Love that!

message 16: by Camille (new)

Camille | 327 comments Welcome Stefanie, Louise and Jamie!

Those were just some suggestions for our name -- if you have others, please let us know!

Louise, my heartfelt condolences to you. I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my husband nearly 19 years ago and I can acutely remember the pain those first few months. I'm glad if you are able to lose yourself in audible books a bit. You'll be in my thoughts. If there's anything I can do, please let me know.

message 17: by HeatherMarie (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 659 comments Hey y’all I’m Heather. I’m from the US- near Dallas/Fort Worth in Texas (Central time zone). This is my 3rd time doing this challenge. I’m in school right now and will be applying to Dental Hygiene School soon.
I like to read, cook and hang out with my dogs. Though we haven’t been going on many walks lately because the weather is usually around 104F (40C). I really can’t wait for fall/winter to kick in. Been reading a lot of scifi- romances or anything with a werewolf recently.
I like The Emperor's New Crew or Lady and the Champs as a team name.
Can’t wait to see what y’all read and watch my TBR grow!

message 18: by Camille (new)

Camille | 327 comments Welcome, HeatherMarie!

message 19: by Camille (new)

Camille | 327 comments It looks like The Emperor's New Crew wins the most votes for our team name. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'll wait a day or so and if not, I'll turn that into Jane.

message 20: by Camille (new)

Camille | 327 comments Well, I've sent in our name choice to Jane. Barring any surprises, it looks like we're The Emperor's New Crew.! Woohoo! :)

I'll be back in touch on Friday, Sept 4th with the theme for the 1st week. Until then, I hope you all have a great week!

message 21: by Louise (new)

Louise | 859 comments Week 1

Option 1:
8. The Star Wars movies are a major attraction to the streaming service.

* Read a book with Science Fiction as a main page genre (MPG) OR read a book with a title of no more than eight letters. Eg Bond, Kaleb, Desire, I Was Here
Series titles do not count for this task.
You must specify which option you are using in your post when showing 'how it fits'.

Option 2:
Key date - 4 March 2020
A book on your team mates 'read' list AND rated at least 3 stars and read on or after the key date.

Option 3:
Pass
This can only be used once each 5 weeks. Only one team mate can use this option each week.

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 927 comments Selection Post: Week #1 - Option 1:
Barbarian's Lady (Ice Planet Barbarians, #13) by Ruby Dixon
Book: Barbarian's Lady by Ruby Dixon
Page #: 238
How the book qualifies: Science Fiction MPG

message 23: by Camille (new)

Camille | 327 comments Selection Post
Week #1, Option #1
Curio (Curio, #1) by Cara McKenna , Curio by Cara McKenna
Pages: 404
How it Qualifies: Title has less than 8 characters in it

message 24: by HeatherMarie (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 659 comments Selection Post Week 1
Reverb (Twisted Wishes, #3) by Anna Zabo
Reverb by Anna Zabo
317 pgs
How the book qualifies - 6 letter title

message 25: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 11 comments Selection Post: Week 1
The Breacher byJordan Creed
355 pgs
How it qualifies: MPG is Science Fiction

message 26: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie | 201 comments Selection Post Week 1 - Option 1

Book: Ull
Ull (Tornians, #4) by M.K. Eidem
Pages: 219
Qualification: MPG science fiction

message 27: by HeatherMarie (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 659 comments Week #1 Completion Post
Reverb (Twisted Wishes, #3) by Anna Zabo
Reverb by Anna Zabo
Rating: **
Review: Rock star- body guard contemporary romance. The musician has a stalker so her band hires a bodyguard.
I think I messed up as a reader more so than judgment against the book itself.
It's the third in the series so I didn't really understand what was going on with all the interactions with the other characters (guessing they were the couples in previous books....but I DID NOT CARE...move over sister...yah boring!).
Also the relationship was insta-love (pass, pass on that). The band is extremely sweet with one another. Like so sweet, no friend group I have ever been in/seen is this cloying with one another. At some points it had me thinking "you're in a cult, call your dad". The words "family" and "friends" are overused. I wanted to chuck a thesaurus at this book.
It just gave me bahhumbug vibes but again that is probably more about me than the quality of the book.
So if you want a syrupy contemporary rockstar/protector book this one is ok. Better luck next time I guess, Happy reading y'all!

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 927 comments Completion Post: Week #1 - Option 1
Barbarian's Lady (Ice Planet Barbarians, #13) by Ruby Dixon
Book: Barbarian's Lady by Ruby Dixon
Rating: ★★
Review: Ugh. I did not like anything about this one unfortunately. Both characters got on my nerves and their romance felt forced. Kate was way too insecure and she harped on it for the entire book and that got tiring fast. Harrec was just weird and everything about him was off putting to me. He was terrible at complimenting Kate and all of his jokes made me roll my eyes. I guess they deserved each other since they can go ride off into the sunset and be annoying as hell together. The only thing I did like was the epilogue because it was in Summer’s point of view and it sets up the next book. It definitely left me wanting more and wanting to get to that book sooner rather than later but everything else here was dull and the characters were irritating.

message 29: by Louise (last edited Sep 22, 2020 12:15AM) (new)

Louise | 859 comments Selection Post - Week 1
Option 1
Family (The Girl in the Box, #4) by Robert J. Crane
Family by Robert J. Crane
Pages: 225
How It Fits: Title less than 8 letters

message 30: by Camille (last edited Sep 05, 2020 08:31PM) (new)

Camille | 327 comments Completion Post
Week #1, Option #2
Curio (Curio, #1) by Cara McKenna , Curio by Cara McKenna
Rating: 5 stars
Review: Every now & again you find yourself immersed in a book and you know that you're a very lucky reader. The prose flows like good whiskey, characters develop meaningfully before your eyes and events go from one high to another...and you know that you're in the hands of an artist. Not just an author, but an artist. Cara McKenna is like that for me. I can just settle down in her books and trust her to take me on a ride with substance and nuance.
Reading the book blurb, I wouldn't expect to like this book. If it were any other author, I'm not sure I would have even attempted it. A woman nearing 30 years old is a virgin. She learns that one of the most handsome, drop-dead gorgeous male models is now a prostitute and she purposes to give her virginity to him. That's the basis of the book, but what Cara McKenna does with it is a thing of beauty. Over time (as it should be) a relationship develops between the two and eventually they become exclusive, with the exception of his clients, of course. It really is a story of redemption, for him and her both. They both come from such a shallow, narrow little living and bloom into a full, satisfying life. I love this author and she's proven why once again.

message 31: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie | 201 comments Completion Post Week 1 - Option 1

Book: Ull
Ull (Tornians, #4) by M.K. Eidem
Pages: 219
Qualification: MPG sience fiction
Rating: 4
Review: I was hoping that Callen was the next book in the series and was a bit disappointed when it was Ull‘s. But I liked the story and how Ull evolved from the jackass to a great Lord. Can‘t wait for the Next book, hopefully the story of Korin

message 32: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 11 comments Completion Post # 1:
Book: The Breacher
The Breacher (The Breacher Trilogy #1) by Jordan Creed
Rating: ****
Review: If you like books like The Insurgent, this book is just for you without the romance. I found myself cheering the mc from beginning to end because he viewed himself not as being better then anyone but fight for what he believes is right

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 927 comments Week 2

Option 1:
2. Disney+ debuted in the USA, Canada and the Netherlands on November 12, 2019.

* Read a book published in November 2019.
You must quote the date of publication - any edition's date of publication will count.

Option 2:
Key date - 11 March 2020
A book on your team mates 'read' list AND rated at least 3 stars and read on or after the key date.

message 34: by HeatherMarie (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 659 comments Week #2 Selection Post
Autumn's Child (Standing Tall Book 3) by Kathleen Gilles Seidel
Autumn's Child by Kathleen Gilles Seidel
305 pgs
How the book qualifies: Nov 12 2019 pub

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 927 comments Selection Post: Week #2 - Option 2
Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9) by J.D. Robb
Loyalty in Death by J.D. Robb
Page #: 372
How the book qualifies: Louise read book 7 in July 2020 and gave it four stars.

message 36: by Camille (last edited Sep 13, 2020 06:23AM) (new)

Week #2, Option #2
Better with You (Camden Cove, #1) by Ellen Joy , Better with You by Ellen Joy
Pages: 226
How it Qualifies: Tiffany read it on August 22, 2020 and rated it 4 stars.

message 37: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 11 comments Selection Post
Week 2 Option #2
His Royal Highness byR.S. Grey
Pages: 326
How it Qualifies: It was published November 14th, 2019

message 38: by Louise (last edited Sep 12, 2020 08:29PM) (new)

Louise | 859 comments Selection Post - Week 2
Option 1
A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1) by Brigid Kemmerer
A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
Pages: 525
How It Fits: Una Maldicion Oscura Y Solitaria by Brigid Kemmerer published Nov 30th 2019

message 39: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie | 201 comments Selection Post Week 2 - Option 2

Book: Us
Us (Him, #2) by Sarina Bowen
Pages: 322
Qualification: Read by Louise 07/11/20 4 stars

message 40: by Camille (last edited Sep 20, 2020 04:04PM) (new)

Camille | 327 comments Louise, just a gentle reminder that we still need a completion post from you for Week #1. Thanks! (And, if I missed it, just chalk it up to my advanced age!) :)

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 927 comments Completion Post: Week #2 - Option 2
Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9) by J.D. Robb
Book: Loyalty in Death by J.D. Robb
Rating: ★★★
Review: My least favorite book in the series so far. Eve was on a whole new level of unlikable and I couldn’t even stand Roarke here. Roarke. Eve treated and talked to Roarke like trash here and then on the flip side, Roarke was behaving like a clingy toddler. He kept showing up at her job even though he’s not a cop and I’m sure he had other things to do but nope, he just wanted to follow Eve around like a puppy. It was really annoying.

The only thing about this book that I liked was Peabody and McNab. They were great and hilarious and I’m so glad these two have finally given in to their sexual tension. I really like them together. Also, we get a lot of Peabody in this and her family which I really enjoyed. The mystery itself was alright, definitely the weakest one. Overall, this was really disappointing but to be fair this series is over 50 books long so you’re bound to come across some duds.

message 42: by Tiffany (last edited Sep 14, 2020 09:18AM) (new)

Tiffany | 11 comments Completion Post 2: Option 1
Book: His Royal Highness by R.S. Grey His Royal Highness.
Rating: 4 stars
Review: I chose this book because it fits with the task of being published November 2019 but I ended up really enjoying the book. It sort of starting to look like one of those insta-love relationship but both the characters had to work for the relationship. I feel like the grandfather should had a bigger role in the story because he turned out my favorite character in the whole book.

message 43: by Louise (new)

Louise | 859 comments I’m a little behind with my reading but will have both my books finished by Monday.

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 927 comments Week 3

Option 1:
12. The Simpsons back catalogue is available for more of Bart, Homer, Marge, Lisa et al! ...Have you noticed how all the names are short? Even the writers' names are short - Matt, James, Dan, Al, Sam, Mike, John etc (Yes, I am conveniently leaving out a few names for the sake of this category ;)

*Read a book with an MC whose first name is less than 6 letters long.
Qualification must be quoted in the précis; please provide an extract. Nicknames will work.

Option 2:
Key date - 18 March 2020

message 45: by Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (last edited Sep 18, 2020 03:53PM) (new)

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 927 comments Selection Post: Week #3 - Option 1
Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6) by Ilona Andrews
Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews
Page #: 357
How the book qualifies: MC's first name is less than 6 letters. From Goodreads summary: "Atlanta is a city plagued by magical problems. Kate Daniels will fight to solve them—no matter the cost."

message 46: by Camille (new)

Camille | 327 comments Jamie, would you mind changing your selection post to read week #3? Thanks much!

message 47: by Camille (last edited Sep 18, 2020 03:44PM) (new)

Week #3, Option #1
Playing for Keeps (Neighbor from Hell, #1) by R.L. Mathewson , Playing for Keeps by R.L. Mathewson
Pages: 224
How the book qualifies: The MC's name is Haley, less than 6 letters. From Goodread's summary: "Done with being the world's biggest pushover, Haley decides that things are going to change sta..."

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 927 comments Camille wrote: "Jamie, would you mind changing your selection post to read week #3? Thanks much!"

Sorry about that. Fixed it. :)

message 49: by HeatherMarie (last edited Sep 20, 2020 05:20PM) (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 659 comments Week #3 Selection Post
Cinders by Cara Malone
Cinders by Cara Malone
208 Page numbers
How the book qualifies - main character's name is "Cyn".
"Cynthia “Cyn” Robinson has only ever wanted three things:....."

message 50: by HeatherMarie (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 659 comments hey still working on completing selection two. had some exams this week and one tomorrow morning- who does this?...smh lol. will try to aim having it read by monday. happy reading yall!

« previous 1 3 4