Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Team challenges) > PtP - The Animators of Romance (7)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 210 (210 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Aug 29, 2020 03:12PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20591 comments Team members

Jedi Knight
Carmen

Wookies
Lauren (Gold)
Stacie
Tink Magoo
Suzanne (esmerelda)
Linda C

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Aug 29, 2020 01:11AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20591 comments 1. Introduce yourself to your team. Let your team members know where you are from. This is a great to know when themes are announced and when team-mates can expect other members to post their book choices.

2. Jedi - reserve a couple of posts in this thread tracking your team's book selection and completion. (Alternatively they could convert a chat comment to the tracking post/s.)

3. Name your team. Using this round's theme of Disney+, come up with a team name. We are an open/public group with no age limit, so please make sure any chosen name is smart, not smutty ;)

Please PM your name to Jane(PS) by early Wednesday 4 September.

4. If you have a private profile, please 'friend' your team-mates. This is really important, because without this, your team-mates can't see your shelves to select a books under option 2.

5. Please post your book selections/completions in the format provided below. (This format is also posted in both the Q&A and Sign-Up threads.) We need to know the week that each book corresponds to, the page numbers, and how the book qualifies including names to lists/shelves (where applicable), etc. I can't stress this enough. When in doubt - link it*!

* don't link to your review in your completion post - reviews in your completion posts should be included in full within that post.

You don't want to start reading a book and then find it doesn't meet the requirements because some information (eg page count or theme link) was missing from your original post.

I will be monitoring this and your book will not be considered complete until I am satisfied that your selection and completion posts comply with the format rules of the challenge.

Remember - you can ONLY change your book selection in the week that the theme is called.

6. You MUST check in with your team each week, ideally once the theme is announced. Please let your team know if you expect to have spotty communication or are on holidays or having an operation.

7. When you post the completion of your book, you must post a review; enough for us to know you have actually read the book. Please don't link to a review. You must post the review in this thread.

8. Re-reads are allowed but you can't read the same book twice within this challenge.

9. There is no prize for the winning team - bragging rights only :)

10. Each week, the theme will be announced in the Q&A Annoucement thread. The full list of themes announced during this round will be maintained in msg 1 of that thread.

The Rule on the Pass Option
* Each team can only have ONE member using their pass each week.
* Each member can only use that pass once each 5 weeks.
* This means that one or two team members (dependent upon the size of your team) will miss using a pass in each 5 week block.
* No-one can use the pass option in the last week of the challenge.
* In the final week if Option 2 is used, members must select their book from another team. This will be advised in the week 11 announcement.

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20591 comments Key selection and completion post information. You must have ALL elements in your book posts.

The format for selection posts Option 1:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
How the book qualifies - please link or name the qualifying bookshelf/list where applicable (link if possible).
If the theme is based off the bookcover, post the cover. If there is a letter count in the title, publication date etc, please note these details.

The format for selection posts Option 2:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
Name of the team-member, their star rating, the date they read the book.

Format for completion posts:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Rating (1-5)
Review

Please DO NOT CHAT in these selection/completion posts. It needs to be super clear.

If you 'waffle' about your decided book - please REPOST your selection once you decide. DO NOT go back and edit your waffling post.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20591 comments I'll track each team's progress separately, using the Captain's summary in each team's thread to check for accuracy.

message 5: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Nov 12, 2020 08:35PM) (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 1889 comments Pass The Parcel Team - Round 15
Disney+

Themes

This round we are going to base our book choices on the video streaming service Disney+.

1. The service primarily streams films and television series produced by Walt Disney corporations.
* Read a book on one of the following lists that has been, or should be, made into a Film or TV series.
Romance books that need to be made into movies
Historical Romance that should be made into a movie
Books that Made the Box Office
MM Romance - want to watch this on screen

2. Disney+ debuted in the USA, Canada and the Netherlands on November 12, 2019.
* Read a book published in November 2019.
You must quote the date of publication - any edition's date of publication will count.

3. A week later, the Disney+ service was expanded to Australia, New Zealand and Puerto Rico.
* Read a book set in Australia, New Zealand, Puerto Rico or in the broader Caribbean region.
Qualification may be found in precis, main page, tag/shelf or list.

4. 10 million users subscribed to Disney+ on its first day of operation.
* Read a book with over 10,000 ratings.

5. Disney+
* Read a book with punctuation or a symbol in the title as shown on the bookcover.
An ampersand counts. Series titles do not count.

6. Disney+ features many movies that are made in cartoon format.
* Read a book that is also available in a graphic novel format OR read a book with a drawn cover.
You must specify which option you are using in your post when showing 'how it fits' AND include the bookcover edition as proof.

7. There are a lot of 'classic' movies and serials on Disney+
* Read a 'classic' book from one of the following lists:
Great Romance Novels
I Don't Understand All That Fuss
Timeless MM romance
Teen Girl Classics

8. The Star Wars movies are a major attraction to the streaming service.
* Read a book with Science Fiction as a main page genre (MPG) OR read a book with a title of no more than eight letters. Eg Bond, Kaleb, Desire, I Was Here
Series titles do not count for this task.
You must specify which option you are using in your post when showing 'how it fits'.

9. Due to COVID-19, 'Hamilton' (the musical film) has skipped the cinematic release scheduled for October 15, 2021 and instead had a digital worldwide release on July 3, 2020 on Disney+. More than a year early!
* Read a book on one of the following 'Can't Wait' romance lists:
Can't Wait MM Romance of 2019
Can't Wait MM Romance of 2020
Can't Wait Sci-Fi Fantasy of 2020
Can't Wait Best New Romances for 2018
Can't Wait Best New Romances for 2017
Random Christian (and just clean fun) Books I Am Excited to Read

10. National Geographic is a very popular option on Disney+
* Read a book with an animal on cover.
'Animal' definition: any living animal other than a human being.
Birds and insects count. Must be a real animal, not mythical. A drawn bookcover that includes an animal will count, but not statues etc.
You must post the bookcover for qualification.

11. The National Geographic magazine has been published continuously since its first issue on September 22, 1888.
* Read a book with a publication date with double numbers within that date.
You may convert the month to numbers. The following dates qualify: July 22, 2018 (22), November 01, 2015 (11), August 13, 2002 (00). Any edition's date of publication will count.

12. The Simpsons back catalogue is available for more of Bart, Homer, Marge, Lisa et al! ...Have you noticed how all the names are short? Even the writers' names are short - Matt, James, Dan, Al, Sam, Mike, John etc (Yes, I am conveniently leaving out a few names for the sake of this category ;)
*Read a book with an MC whose first name is less than 6 letters long.
Qualification must be quoted in the précis; please provide an extract. Nicknames will work.

13. The Toy Story, Marvel and Frozen collections are huge hits with children.
* Read a book with kids in the storyline from one of the following lists:
Best Gay Books Dealing With Children
Romance With Kids in Tow
Littlies: Children in Contemporary Romance
Wee: Children in Historical Romance
Hilarious Kids in Romance
Single Fathers of Romance: Great Family Men

14. Naturally, watching the TV, you need snacks and drinks ~ treats and things that may be bad for you!
* Read a book from one of the following lists:
Naughty Husbands
"Give Me Some of That Awesomeness" Romances
SugarKink BDSM
Sexy Curves (The outcome of the sit-in ;)
Yummy Adult Paranormal Romances
MM Romance Comfort Reads
MM Hot Stuff Corner
Yummiest College New Adult MM

message 6: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Oct 08, 2020 11:12AM) (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 1889 comments Selection Post:

Week #1
(view spoiler)

Week #2
(view spoiler)

Week #3
(view spoiler)

Week #4
(view spoiler)

Week #5
Carmen - Post
Lauren (Gold) - Post
Stacie - Post
Tink Magoo - Post
Suzanne (esmerelda) - Post
Linda C - Post

message 7: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Nov 11, 2020 05:33PM) (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 1889 comments Selection Post:

Week #6
(view spoiler)

Week #7
(view spoiler)

Week #8
(view spoiler)

Week #9
(view spoiler)

Week #10
Carmen - Post
Lauren (Gold) - Pass
Stacie - Post
Tink Magoo - Post
Suzanne (esmerelda) -
Linda C - Post

Week #11
Carmen
Lauren (Gold)
Stacie
Tink Magoo
Suzanne (esmerelda)
Linda C

message 8: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Nov 11, 2020 05:34PM) (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 1889 comments Completion Post:

Week #1
(view spoiler)

Week #2
(view spoiler)

Week #3
(view spoiler)

Week #4
(view spoiler)

Week #5
(view spoiler)

message 9: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (cowmingo) | 1351 comments Hey everyone!

message 10: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Nov 12, 2020 08:33PM) (new)

Week #6
(view spoiler)

Week #7
Carmen -
Lauren (Gold) - Review Post
Stacie - Review Post
Tink Magoo - Review Post
Suzanne (esmerelda) - Review Post
Linda C - Review Post

Week #8
(view spoiler)

Week #9
(view spoiler)

Week #10
Carmen - Review Post
Lauren (Gold) - PASS
Stacie - Review Post
Tink Magoo - Review Post
Suzanne (esmerelda) -
Linda C -

Week #11
Carmen
Lauren (Gold)
Stacie
Tink Magoo
Suzanne (esmerelda)
Linda C

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Gold | 24 comments Hi everyone!!

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 1889 comments Hi Wonkies! I guess you can call me a veteran to PtP, I live in NY, enjoy lots of genres, and I'm a bit of a challenge addict. LOL but I'm terrible at coming up with team names. So if anyone has any suggestions I'm more than happy to hear them. I will try and think of something but I can't promise if my brain will work. Hahahaha

message 14: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 407 comments Hi team,
I'm also from NY, upstate near Lake Ontario. I'm a retired librarian and love book challenges. I read most genres and have found that challenges have expanded my horizons. And I am reading more books than ever.

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Gold | 24 comments I’m from NJ but am living in Arizona right now for school! I was reading a lot earlier this summer and want to get back into it so hopefully this challenge helps!

message 16: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Aug 29, 2020 07:53PM) (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 1889 comments Linda C wrote: "Hi team,
I'm also from NY, upstate near Lake Ontario. I'm a retired librarian and love book challenges. I read most genres and have found that challenges have expanded my horizons. And I am readin..."

Me too Linda. I think that bothers my husband. Hahahaha

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 1889 comments Lauren wrote: "I’m from NJ but am living in Arizona right now for school! I was reading a lot earlier this summer and want to get back into it so hopefully this challenge helps!"

Wow! Thats great. So how much of a difference between the two states?

message 18: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 407 comments team name suggestions:

Star War Marvels
Marvelettes
Cosmic Animators
Action Figures
Box Office Winners
Illustrious Animators

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 1889 comments Those are great names. Hmm, this is going to be a hard pick

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (tinkmagoo) | 1168 comments Hi team,

I'm Tink, I live in England so things are normally posted late at night for me. I read romance across most of the genres, probably suspense the least as I'm impatient :)

I'm awful with coming up with team names too so will wait and see what you guys come up with

message 21: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (cowmingo) | 1351 comments I like Box Office Winners

message 22: by Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (last edited Aug 31, 2020 02:31AM) (new)

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (tinkmagoo) | 1168 comments I thought maybe
'The Animators of Romance'
or something else as Disney does a lot of animation

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 1889 comments Tink Magoo is bad at reviews wrote: "Hi team,

I'm Tink, I live in England so things are normally posted late at night for me. I read romance across most of the genres, probably suspense the least as I'm impatient :)

I'm awful with c..."

Hi Tink! It's been a bit since we've been in a team together ;-)

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (tinkmagoo) | 1168 comments ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ wrote: "Tink Magoo is bad at reviews wrote: "Hi team,

I'm Tink, I live in England so things are normally posted late at night for me. I read romance across most of the genres, probably suspense the least ..."

It really has been ages. And I don't think I've met the rest of the team before which is a surprise.

message 25: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (cowmingo) | 1351 comments Tink Magoo is bad at reviews wrote: "I thought maybe
or something else as Disney does a lot of animation"

I like that one too.

I've sent friend requests to some people I wasn't friends with.

message 26: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 407 comments I've also sent friend requests, except for Suzanne, not sure which one she is until she signs in here.

message 27: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 407 comments Tink Magoo is bad at reviews wrote: "I thought maybe
or something else as Disney does a lot of animation"

I like this too. I threw out a couple suggestions that included animators also, but this ties it in with the group name.

message 28: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2078 comments Hello Everyone! I'm checking in!

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 1889 comments Suzanne wrote: "Hello Everyone! I'm checking in!"

Hi Suzanne 👋

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 1889 comments So I’m guessing we’re good with ‘ The Animators of Romance’ as our team name?

message 31: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2078 comments ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ wrote: "So I’m guessing we’re good with ‘ The Animators of Romance’ as our team name?"

Sounds good to me! I like it!

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 1889 comments We have our name so now we wait for the call. Yay! LOL

message 33: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 407 comments Jane posted

I will announce the first theme early - Wednesday 2 September between 4 and 6pm US EST - cos I can. msg 133 of Teams Allocated thread

today!!

message 34: by Linda C (last edited Sep 02, 2020 04:44PM) (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 407 comments First theme is #8 The Star Wars movies are a major attraction to the streaming service.
* Read a book with Science Fiction as a main page genre (MPG) OR read a book with a title of no more than eight letters. Eg Bond, Kaleb, Desire, I Was Here
Series titles do not count for this task.
You must specify which option you are using in your post when showing 'how it fits'.

message 35: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (cowmingo) | 1351 comments Option 2:
Key date - 4 March 2020
A book on your team mates 'read' list AND rated at least 3 stars and read on or after the key date.

message 36: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (cowmingo) | 1351 comments Selection Post
Week #1
The Unearthly (The Unearthly, #1) by Laura Thalassa
The Unearthly by Laura Thalassa
296 pages
How it fits: read by Tink Magoo on April 20, 2020 and rated 4 stars

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 1889 comments Oh wow first call was today?! 😱 Thanks for posting it.

message 38: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Sep 04, 2020 07:20PM) (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 1889 comments Selection Posts Option 1:
Week #1

Flip This Zombie (Living with the Dead, #2) by Jesse Petersen
Book: Flip This Zombie
Pages: 250
How the book qualifies - MPG tagged Sci-fi 11 times

message 39: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 407 comments Selection Posts Option 1:
Week #1

This Shattered World (Starbound, #2) by Amie Kaufman
Book: This Shattered World - Amie Kaufman
Page: 390
How the book qualifies: MPG tagged Sci-fi 825 times

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (tinkmagoo) | 1168 comments Selection Post - Option 1 - Week 1

Book: Our Pet
Page count: 191
How it qualifies: MPG Sci-fi (6 users)

Our Pet (Ours, #1) by S.M. Matthews

message 41: by Lauren (last edited Sep 05, 2020 08:06PM) (new)

Lauren Gold | 24 comments Selection Post - Option 1

Book: If I Stay
Page Count: 201
How it qualifies: Less than 8 Letters in the title

If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman If I Stay

message 42: by Suzanne (last edited Sep 08, 2020 10:16AM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2078 comments Im on my phone so I’ll edit this post when I get to a computer but I’m going to read buzz off by deb baker!

Selection Post - Option 1

Buzz Off (Queen Bee Mystery, #1) by Hannah Reed

Book: Buzz Off by Hannah Reed
Page Count: 336

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (tinkmagoo) | 1168 comments Completion Post - Week # 1
Book: Our Pet
Rating: 4 stars
Finished on: 4th September
Review:
I enjoyed this more than I expected and the differences between her three aliens kept things interesting. It was a quick, easy to read start to the series and the joint scenes were hot.

Our Pet (Ours, #1) by S.M. Matthews

message 44: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Sep 11, 2020 06:20PM) (new)

Week #1

Flip This Zombie (Living with the Dead, #2) by Jesse Petersen
Book: Flip This Zombie
Read: 9/5/20
Rated: 4 stars
Review: Husband and wife team up to take out zombies threatening to eat all humans that remain but when they come across a note left for them about a kind of secret job that’s when things change. I found some funny moments in this story but also some surprising ones and sad too but these two are funny together. I enjoy the tag team and even though things become rough at times they still stick together. I guess at this time their marriage is testing the better or worse statement for sure.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 1889 comments Suzanne wrote: "Im on my phone so I’ll edit this post when I get to a computer but I’m going to read buzz off by deb baker!"

No worries, you have time

message 46: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20591 comments Lauren wrote: "Selection Post - Option 1

If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman"

Hi Lauren - please add the book link to your post :)

message 47: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Gold | 24 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Selection Post - Option 1

If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman"

Hi Lauren - please add the book link to..."

just did! thanks for letting me know!!

message 48: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (cowmingo) | 1351 comments Completion Post
Week #1
The Unearthly (The Unearthly, #1) by Laura Thalassa
The Unearthly by Laura Thalassa
296 pages
How it fits: read by Tink Magoo on April 20, 2020 and rated 4 stars
Date: 9/6
Rating: 3 stars

Review: I am glad that this wasn't my first Laura Thalassa. I didn't hate it but I think she's grown as a writer since this one. I felt like nothing really happened until closer to the end of the story and that this was mostly just set up for the rest of the series. It was a little slow for my liking and I'm not sure I will continue the series.

message 49: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 407 comments Completion Post Option 1:
Week #1

This Shattered World (Starbound, #2) by Amie Kaufman
Book: This Shattered World - Amie Kaufman
Page: 390
How the book qualifies: MPG tagged Sci-fi 825 times
Read: 9/7/20
Rating: 4 stars
Review: Jubilee “Lee” Chase is Captain on a military force sent to a planet to control rebels. Flynn Cormac is a native who wants to talk to the military not fight and seeks answers to why their planet is not prospering as it should be. Years of poverty and mistrust have kept the 2 groups at odds with occasional spurts of violence that incite more mistrust. But when they get hints of information that outside forces are causing the violence, they need to work together to prove it. A good continuation of the trilogy. Interesting world building and links to characters from the first volume. Looking forward to reading the finale.

message 50: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2078 comments When do we need to finish the book by?

« previous 1 3 4 5