Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > September 2020: Red, White and Royal Blue

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2955 comments Mod
Discussion for Red, White & Royal Blue!

Discussion Questions provided by publisher:

1. Red, White & Royal Blue has fun with a number of romance tropes. Which ones are your favorites and why are they so appealing?

2. At the beginning of the novel, Alex and Henry are enemies, then they become friends, and eventually lovers. Why does their relationship work so well? How do they balance each other out?

3. What’s the most swoon-worthy moment in this book (if you can pick one)? What do you think is the biggest turning point for Alex and Henry’s relationship? Discuss.

4. McQuiston adds a great deal of LGBTQ+ historical context for Alex’s journey throughout the novel. In what ways is this important for both Alex and the reader?

5. Alex and Henry’s communication escalates from texts to phone calls, and eventually to intense emails that quote the love letters of historical figures. How does their correspondence add to the story?

6. While the book is about a romantic relationship at its core, there are a number of other relationships with friends, parents, and siblings throughout. How are these relationships important to Alex and Henry, and how do they enhance the story?

7. McQuiston has provided a rich cast of supporting characters. Who is your favorite supporting character and why? Do you have any favorite secondary pairings? If so, who and why?

8. How do the concepts of community and found family play a part in the novel? How might Alex and Henry’s journey have differed without a support system of friends and family in place?

9. Red, White & Royal Blue takes place in a United States and United Kingdom that closely resemble our own but ultimately exist in an alternate universe. How do the politics in the book reflect what’s happening in the real world? Who are your favorite fictional political or royal figures in the book and why?

10. Why do readers have royal fever? What is it about royalty that sparks such interest? What did you think of this royal family? Did it make you think differently about real-life royal families?

11. The book ends with Alex’s Democrat mom, Ellen Claremont, winning a second term as President of the United States and Alex and Henry making plans for the future. What happens afterward for this cast of characters? Where do you see Alex and Henry in five years, in ten?

message 2: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

I am half way through this one and it is CHARMING.

message 3: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 143 comments I have had this book on hold at the library for what seems like forever. I think it's popular, well-liked and probably not that many copies in our library system. Can't wait to read this!

message 4: by Ann Marie (new)

Ann Marie (annmariemandile) | 89 comments Hi Rachel! I have read Red, White and Royal Blue and I loved it, and as you may well know, it's not my favorite genre. I think you summed it up really spot on as CHARMING! Also thank you, I saw a short story book on your TBR list that I would've missed had it not been for you. I hope you're safe, I was worried about what's going on in your state, and I'm praying for all those affected by it and hope it's far away from you. Hope you're well. Sorry I've been reading a LOT, just not joining in on buddy reads or challenges bc I'm going through a terrible couple of months, (Actually just a terrible year all around), and it's not fair to the other person. Stay safe! Thank you. I love our book club that you do so much work on!

message 5: by CJ (new)

CJ (joyfuldharma) | 10 comments Not my fave genre, romance, but a SOLID read. Enjoyed it immensely. Like I put in my review: I’d go see this if it went to screen. I can picture Anne Bancroft as the queen ALL. DAY. LONG. 😂 The author’s acknowledgement at the end was sweet and left me so happy I read this first. Overall: LOVED :)

message 6: by Ann Marie (new)

Ann Marie (annmariemandile) | 89 comments Hi CJ :

I hope if you read I'm Thinking of Ending Things and was a bit bothered by the book like me, than please don't watch the movie they made of it on Netflix!!!! Lol. Of course, if you don't want to take my suggestion, by all means, read the book and watch it on Netflix. I thought it was garbage, I'm curious to see if ANYONE plans to see the movie adaptation of it followed after reading it and what they thought.

message 7: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Colleen wrote: "I have had this book on hold at the library for what seems like forever. I think it's popular, well-liked and probably not that many copies in our library system. Can't wait to read this!"

I was absolutely in the same boat!!! It finally came and I was so excited!

message 8: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (last edited Sep 07, 2020 09:35AM) (new)

Ann Marie wrote: "Hi Rachel! I have read Red, White and Royal Blue and I loved it, and as you may well know, it's not my favorite genre. I think you summed it up really spot on as CHARMING! Also thank you, I saw a s..."

Ann Marie! I have missed seeing your name on the book buddies list but I absolutely understand. I hope you are staying safe!!

California is having a rough year. The fires are absolutely saddening and frustrating that some of these fires could have been avoided if people were more careful. It is so sad. And Los Angeles is taking a massive hit with the corona virus. This year is truly awful, but thankful for the health of my family, and my mom and brother (nurses) and all of our loves ones and friends.

I hope you are doing well <3

message 9: by Ann Marie (new)

Ann Marie (annmariemandile) | 89 comments Oh wow, seems like we are going round 2 of COVID. I'm so glad you and you're family are okay and hope you are far away from the fires. I pray the world gets better.. We are getting hit left and right. Not so much in NYC but since Governor Cuomo in NYC is following guidelines, the president cut off NYC'd funding. It's crazy. The last 2 days I have had like a sleeping disease like I can't wake up. It's really crazy, because I never sleep. I should be reading.

message 10: by CJ (new)

CJ (joyfuldharma) | 10 comments Hi Anne Marie :)

I didn’t!! But, I’ll brave watching it and get back to you lol.

message 11: by Ann Marie (new)

Ann Marie (annmariemandile) | 89 comments Dear CJ:

Please do and get back to me lol!

message 12: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

I finished this! Here is the review I posted! I will share some answers to some of the Q's after!

History, huh. 💘

What happens when America's First Son falls in love with the Prince of Wales?

Witty banter and a fiery rivalry 🔥 between Alex & Henry spark tensions between the two nations; and they have to fix it. They are forced to have an instagrammable & media-friendly relationship to help keep the peace. BUT! what happens behind closed doors 👀?! Pure. Magic ✨

Alex Claremont-Diaz, the first son absolutely falls in love with his British rival, Henry. And their romance is fast and wonderful. And I am HERE 👏🏻 FOR 👏🏻 IT 👏🏻

Oh, goodness. This book was so amazing. So clever. So absolutely wonderful & charming. I have a permanent smile planted on my face. I never wanted this book to end.

I loved the back and forth between Alex and Henry. I loved the development between them. I loved the frenemies, the witty banter, their secret and not so secret love scenes🔥. I LOVED IT ALL, DAMNIT.

These characters were so genuine. Their love for each other, all of ‘em, was just so hopeful and bright and warm. It is such a good feeling to watch and root for the good ones. I was sobbing through most of this book. 😭❤️

I wanted to live in this world where we had the first female president, where inclusivity was a priority, where people fought for the good. This book and story was just what I needed right now. Truly. Thank you, Casey.

message 13: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

1. Red, White & Royal Blue has fun with a number of romance tropes. Which ones are your favorites and why are they so appealing?

- I am not super into romance books or tropes. But I loved the growth between Henry and Alex (enemies to lovers?)

4. McQuiston adds a great deal of LGBTQ+ historical context for Alex’s journey throughout the novel. In what ways is this important for both Alex and the reader?

- One of the reasons why I loved this book so much was the exploration of Alex and Henry's identity and who they truly are. I thought the way she did it was exceptional and warm and friendly but of course they had to over come issues. I really appreciated the LGBTQ+ rep in this book.

6. While the book is about a romantic relationship at its core, there are a number of other relationships with friends, parents, and siblings throughout. How are these relationships important to Alex and Henry, and how do they enhance the story?

- The biggest turn on about this book is the way all types of relationships are explored and the reaction/action by each as the story progresses and changes and they are faced with situations that are just so realistic. I thought it was really wonderful. I loved Nora's relationship with the characters a lot. I also love June and Alex.

11. The book ends with Alex’s Democrat mom, Ellen Claremont, winning a second term as President of the United States and Alex and Henry making plans for the future. What happens afterward for this cast of characters? Where do you see Alex and Henry in five years, in ten?

- I NEED A SEQUEL NOW.

message 14: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 143 comments Just finished and overall I liked it, didn't love it, mainly because I wasn't super impressed with the writing style. Lots of good points and sections, I agree, including all the womanly power. I only gave it 3 stars since it took forever to get going for me, but I definitely see where a lot of people found it very enjoyable. Overall I'm glad I read it!