The Sword and Laser discussion

Elysium
This topic is about Elysium
Podcasts > #392 - Audible Minus?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1707 comments Mod
We try to explain Audible's new plans, decide if Pinocchio is fantasy (especially if Mussolini is involved), and wrap-up our thoughts on Elysium by Jennifer Marie Brissett.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/40958066
https://soundcloud.com/swordandlaser/...
http://swordandlaser.com/home/2020/8/...

Francis      x | 101 comments Must be that Amazon is price dropping the Fire Tablet 7 & 8 with more memory -32 GB. Plus with the added version for audible & kindle book called Whispersync .
also as video ,there is the IMDB Movie & TV on the Tablet.

message 3: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie | 78 comments A lot of prime subscriptions reup in the fall. They always offer a new perk right about now to keep its members.

message 4: by Jan (last edited Aug 28, 2020 01:34PM) (new)

Jan | 440 comments Congratulations, Veronica!

Oh. And it's "BARE your sword"?! For some reason I always heard "BURY your sword". But this makes more sense....

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1432 comments Re: ASudible Plus... If you pay for access it ain't free

message 6: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments 👶

Ian (RebelGeek) Seal (rebel-geek) | 714 comments Jan wrote: "Congratulations, Veronica!

Oh. And it's "BARE your sword"?! For some reason I always heard "BURY your sword". But this makes more sense...."

I thought that for a very long time as well. Ha!

You guys just saved me $7 per month (Audible+)!

I thought the green dot in Elysium was a blown LED in the holodeck.

Ruth | 1160 comments I’m Tom’s new favourite! *blushes*

The mention of the new Enola Holmes movie and the Holmes canon reminds me of this lawsuit that the Doyle estate has launched against Netflix, claiming that if Sherlock has feelings and respects women, he’s still in copyright: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/28/the...

message 9: by Tamahome (last edited Aug 29, 2020 06:33AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments Adapting the Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes series is a good idea. https://www.goodreads.com/series/4096...

Lee  (the Book Butcher) (butcherfromgeorgia) Thanks for the Audible tip. i heard about this last week and thought the same things as y'all. I agree the problem is the name. but since you related it to Amazon video service which i have i looked into it and found a lot of free books. some really good things on there!

message 11: by Stephen (last edited Aug 29, 2020 07:56AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1343 comments The day it changed, My Audible app kept crashing. I spend the day uninstalling and reinstalling still I gave up. Then I saw the new design and saw that Planetfall by the great Emma Newman was free now!! Since she narrated her own book it was fabulous to have Ms. Newman curse in my ear. Oh, now the app opens it in the morning with a good morning, or if in the afternoon , Good afternoon, and so on.

message 12: by Lee (last edited Aug 29, 2020 07:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee  (the Book Butcher) (butcherfromgeorgia) Congrats Veronica! Gideon is a great name. i know it's different but my wife wants to name our next pet Gideon. she is really enjoying Gideon the ninth. i will forever be grateful to S&L for finding a book we can share. That does not happen a lot because she mostly reads vampire and Horror fiction!

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Ian wrote: "Jan wrote: "Congratulations, Veronica!

Oh. And it's "BARE your sword"?! For some reason I always heard "BURY your sword". But this makes more sense...."

I thought that for a very long time as wel..."

Wait, not Barrier Sword? I thought it was like... Threshold Concepts or something.

Trike | 8768 comments Two shows in a row with a canon cannon!

...and, hey look, there’s a non-gendered kid name: Canon.

My favorite episode of the Gilmore Girls has a great bit about names: https://youtu.be/vwpsTs6iNkY

Francie: ...and that’s Lem.
Rory: Lem?
Lem: It’s short for Lemon.
Rory: Oh sure.
Francie: Rory, huh? They call you Roar?
Rory: Not unless provoked.
Ivy: No nickname?
Rory: Actually, Rory is a nickname. My full name’s Lorelei.
Lem: Lorelei, that’s a weird name.
Rory: Well, Lem, what can I say?

(I’m actually wearing my Luke’s shirt as I type this. World: small.)

Trike | 8768 comments Speaking of canons, I wouldn’t get too hung up on what is or isn’t part of Sherlock Holmes canon. Even Doyle didn’t care. That’s why Watson’s first name changed and his wound kept moving around. Doyle uttered the equivalent of “whatevs bro” of the nineteen-teens.

message 16: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark (markmtz) | 2496 comments

message 17: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2304 comments Forgive me if this has already been mentioned elsewhere, but another reason Enola Holmes falls into your remit: It's based on a series of books (The Case of the Missing Marquess being the first) by SFF author Nancy Springer, although I haven't seen her name mentioned more than once or twice in connection with the series.

message 18: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments Speaking of detectives, this should make a series with Paula Myo from Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth universe. Genetically engineered to uphold the law.

message 19: by Rob, Roberator (new) - added it

Rob (robzak) | 6896 comments Mod
FWIW, I always post the Monthly book club announcement 24 hours after the Patreon annoucement.

I post to both the goodreads group and the S&L Discord server.

message 20: by Seth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Seth | 396 comments Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "Wait, not Barrier Sword?"

This is what I've always heard, and probably what I'll go on hearing.

message 21: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments Or Tassie Dave will notice what Veronica puts on her bookshelf before the announcement.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2510 comments Gideon is a good name. I'm surprised nobody suggested the obvious Swordy McSwordface :)

message 23: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4100 comments When Gideon is old enough for religious instruction, we know what Rocket Raccoon is going to do.

Trike | 8768 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "When Gideon is old enough for religious instruction, we know what Rocket Raccoon is going to do."

I’m one of the three people who get that reference. Enough to point out it’s “Rocky”. :p

message 25: by Jan (new)

Jan | 440 comments Seth wrote: "Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "Wait, not Barrier Sword?"

This is what I've always heard, and probably what I'll go on hearing."

Maybe it's a warning "Barry! Your Sword!"

message 26: by Seth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Seth | 396 comments Jan wrote: "Seth wrote: "Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "Wait, not Barrier Sword?"

This is what I've always heard, and probably what I'll go on hearing."

Maybe it's a warning "Barry! Your Sword!""

Or "Bah! Rear sward" an obscure Scrooge-ian exclamation expressing disdain for back yards.

message 29: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark (markmtz) | 2496 comments

message 30: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tassie Dave | 3619 comments Mod
"the right of the people to keep and arm bears, shall not be infringed"

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments You guys just never disappoint.

Ian (RebelGeek) Seal (rebel-geek) | 714 comments Where is my like button, GR!
Am I the only one whose ears are hurt by the "Bare Your Sword" sound effect? Maybe it's my awesome headphones. ;-)

message 33: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments As long as we have the bear necessities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Nlh...

message 34: by terpkristin (last edited Sep 01, 2020 02:23PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

terpkristin | 4193 comments V - my recommendation is to blame any and all issues with pronunciations on pregnancy brain.

I enjoyed the episode.

Also don't give your kid a name that sounds like "automatic pilot". Not that it's likely you can. But when you have my last name and a brother, it's possible. But with Ryan's last name, Cinder also seems like a possibly hilarious name. :P ;)

message 35: by William (last edited Sep 05, 2020 04:38AM) (new)

William | 429 comments Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "Wait, not Barrier Sword?..."

Until this moment I actually thought that was what they were saying.

There's so many in-jokes I just thought this was another one.

I've been joining in since the group read The Sparrow, which is a while, but I still feel a little confused now and then...

A barrier of swords

message 36: by Paul (new) - added it

Paul Fagan | 39 comments Harrowhawk Nonagesimus Belmont, sounds nice. Veronica did mention that she thoroughly enjoyed saying "Harrowhawk Nonagesimus" in an earlier podcast.
Just imagine scolding a child with that name: "Harrowhawk Nonagesimus, you get back here this instant!" It would be so fun!

Now I wish I named my kids like this... My oldest is a total Harrow personality: super focused, very bossy, and very likely to murder me once she is a teenager.