SFF Hot from Printers: New Releases discussion

Nominations > Nominations for October 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Oleksandr (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 1726 comments Mod
On Sept 1st we'll start the next monthly nomination. I think we once again will limit with 2020 works only. However, I welcome suggestions about two themes for the month - in Sept they were SF and fantasy. Is there enough support for horror? or more narrow theme like first contact SF or grimdark fantasy

message 2: by Eva (new)

Eva | 131 comments I liked the open categories of SF and Fantasy, they gave us a lot of freedom to nominate the best new releases. Since we're already limiting ourselves to books that came out in a very narrow time frame, I think it's fine to leave the categories open.

We're already reading a horror book next month (Mexican Gothic), so it seems as if we've already interpreted our categories as being open to horror novels as long as they have some fantasy or SF element to them. No need for a separate category, I think.

What do the others think?

message 3: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 564 comments Categories are fun, but I agree with Eva.

message 4: by Oleksandr (new)

Ok, no narrowing is also an option. Anyone else?

message 5: by Kateblue (new)

Kateblue | 735 comments Mod
I liked the SF and Fantasy choices. Besides, with new books, it might be hard to categorize further until more people have read them.

message 6: by Oleksandr (new)

The nominations are open now! Every member can nominate up to two books published in 2020, one for SF and one for fantasy. All previously nominated books, which hasn't won are eligible

The deadline is September 7th.

message 7: by Kateblue (last edited Sep 01, 2020 10:36AM) (new)

SF: I was going to say The Vanished Birds -- because I thought it looked interesting, but reading some reviews about how it is put together--I probably will not like reading it. So I will nominate later

Fantasy: A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking--this author is an up-and-comer. I read a book of hers last year=excellent. People in another group on GR are raving about this one. And it's cheap. $4.99 US Kindle https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...

message 8: by Kateblue (new)

OK, how a bout Space Station Down--it's lower rated than I usually select on my own, but it's Ben Bova.

message 9: by Kristenelle (last edited Sep 01, 2020 11:01AM) (new)

Kristenelle | 564 comments I still want to read Axiom's End.

For fantasy, I'm having trouble figuring out if things are more fantasy or scifi. Would The Doors of Eden be fantasy? I'd like to read that. If that is more scifi I nominate Riot Baby for fantasy.

message 10: by Gabi (last edited Sep 01, 2020 11:05AM) (new)

Gabi | 424 comments "The Doors of Eden" is SF, no fantasy elements there - everything is strict evolutionary biology (well ... in the crazy, weird Tchaikovsky way of course, but nonetheless :D)

@Kateblue: "A Wizard's Guide ..." is simply adorable!

message 11: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 564 comments Gabi wrote: ""The Doors of Eden" is SF, no fantasy elements there - everything is strict evolutionary biology (well ... in the crazy, weird Tchaikovsky way of course, but nonetheless :D)

@Kateblue: "A Wizard's..."

Ah, ok. Your review of it so glowing I'm excited to read it! Is Riot Baby fantasy? You've read a crazy number of eligible books, Gabi!

My revised noms:
Scifi: Axiom's End
Fantasy: Riot Baby

message 12: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 424 comments I nominate for Fantasy: Master of Poisons by Andrea Hairston (if the release date of Sep 8th isn't too late for library folks): I love the cover and at the moment I'm somehow on a climate change hype.

I nominate for SF: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini (again ... only if the release date is not too tight). Ever since I heard of this one I was in love with the title.

message 13: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 564 comments Gabi wrote: "I nominate for SF: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini (again ... only if the release date is not too tight). Ever since I heard of this one I was in love with the title."

That is a gorgeous title and book cover!

message 14: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 424 comments Kristen wrote: "That is a gorgeous title and book cover!...."

It is, isn't it? I must admit that I have not the slightest idea what it is about (I try to not read blurbs if possible), I just went for the surface of this one ^^'.

message 15: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 564 comments I try not to read blurbs too! I guess I usually pick books based on friend's reviews, book club picks, and hype.

message 16: by Oleksandr (new)

re: release dates - I think everything published before Oct. 1st is eligible for I believe our members don't vote on a whim, but check whether they can get the books.

The book cover is really nice, I agree

message 17: by *Tau* (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments I agree with you all that it's a beautiful book cover :-)
As a matter of fact, it always reminds me of my version (there are several different covers) of The Ocean at the End of the Lane.
Don't you find the ressemblance striking?
To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

message 18: by Oleksandr (new)

I've made a thread to post best fresh covers and illustrations HERE

message 19: by *Tau* (last edited Sep 02, 2020 01:52AM) (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments Oleksandr wrote: "I've made a thread to post best fresh covers and illustrations HERE"

Good idea, Oleksandr!
Book covers and titles are always the first - but certainly not the sole - things I look at. So if they can get my attention, they already have an edge over other books.

message 20: by Oleksandr (last edited Sep 07, 2020 10:13PM) (new)

message 21: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 424 comments ^^' Oh, sorry ... I'd like to change my Fantasy nomination from "Master of Poisons" to Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. I was kind of bored by her "Strange and Norrell", but her new one has less pages and I want to give her another chance.

message 22: by Oleksandr (new)

Gabi wrote: "^^' Oh, sorry ... I'd like to change my Fantasy nomination from "Master of Poisons" to Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. I was kind of bored by her "Strange and Norrell", bu..."

Changed

message 23: by Plamen (new)

Plamen Nenchev (vmro) | 57 comments Piranesi is a good choice, I'll back it up.

message 24: by Oleksandr (new)

Plamen wrote: "Piranesi is a good choice, I'll back it up."

I also loved her debut novel. Her shorter works - not so much. I hope this one will be good

message 25: by Kalin (new)

Kalin | 230 comments Mod
The Coode Street guys said it was really different to her first.

message 26: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 424 comments Kalin wrote: "The Coode Street guys said it was really different to her first."

I dearly hope so ;D.

message 27: by *Tau* (last edited Sep 02, 2020 03:20PM) (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments For fantasy I nominate The Wound of Words.
Although there are only 2 ratings at the moment, I highly value the opinions of Lukasz. And the review of Adam made me even more curious to discover this book.

For sci-fi my first choice is Qualityland. At least if this book is eligible for these nominations. The English version appeared for the first time in January 2020, but the original German version was already published in 2017.
If for this reason Qualityland can't be chosen, I'd like to nominate Finna.

message 28: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 564 comments I'm really excited about all of these nominations. I'm probably not going to vote for my fantasy nomination, "Riot Baby." So, I don't know if we should still leave it there or take it down.

message 29: by Kalin (new)

Kalin | 230 comments Mod
I'm into Riot baby partly on the basis of having just received a copy from Tor. But I'm so swamped with work the next two months I don't really think my votes should count.

message 30: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 564 comments That was my thought process, Kalin. But then I tend to also feel like there is no rush with the Tor books because I have them forever.

message 31: by Oleksandr (new)

*Tau* wrote: "At least if this book is eligible for these nominations. The English version appeared for the first time in January 2020, but the original German version was already published in 2017."

Yes, the date of publishing in English is what matters for Hugo, and, because of our goal is to seek for worthy nominations, for us

message 32: by Eva (new)

Eva | 131 comments For Fantasy, I'd like to nominate Savage Legion by Matt Wallace.

It's by a previous Hugo winner (with Mur Lafferty for their fancast) and features an awesome cover. Sarah Gailey, another previous winner, called it "The epic fantasy the genre has been waiting for!" I've read the first few pages, which were very good. It's on Storytel.

Short character descriptions: Evie starts a bar fight while drunk and wakes up indentured into an infantry force called the Savage Legion for a minimum of 100 battles. Lexie is investigating the mysterious disappearance of her husband, who was a legal defender for people without a powerful family to advocate for them. Slider is a homeless orphan of about 13 whose legs were crushed under a cart when she was little. She's taken in by a kindly group of scholars. But after Slider builds an ingenious invention, she is submitted for a series of tests, each more challenging and dangerous than the last. Somebody clearly thinks Slider is capable of great things - if only she lives long enough to reach her potential."

For SF, I'll go with The Doors of Eden by Adrian Tchaikovsky, because I loved Cage of Souls so much.

message 33: by *Tau* (last edited Sep 03, 2020 12:10AM) (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments Oleksandr wrote: "Yes, the date of publishing in English is what matters for Hugo"

Thanks for the clarification, Oleksandr :-)

Oleksandr wrote: "... because of our goal is to seek for worthy nominations"

As I like to discover new voices and books that aren't known by the greater public, I'm really thrilled about 'The Wound of Words'. But if you guys think that my nomination of this book for the monthly read isn't appropriate because it probably won't stand a chance at Hugo due to the fact it's less known, then you may withdraw it (I'll read it anyway ;-D).
On the other hand, even if books are less known in the beginning: if they're really good there can always be a buzz created around them ;-p

message 34: by Plamen (new)

Plamen Nenchev (vmro) | 57 comments Qualityland has absolutely rave reviews.

message 35: by Oleksandr (new)

*Tau* wrote: "But if you guys think that my nomination of this book for the monthly read isn't appropriate because it probably won't stand a chance at Hugo due to the fact it's less known, then you may withdraw it (I'll read it anyway ;-D)."

Don't worry - if the book is really good, it [1] will by joy to read [2] quite a few debut novels made it to Hugo/Nebula so it stands a chance.

I most likely made a wrong statement, the correct one is that our primary goal is to find and enjoy туц books and our secondary - to push these books for better recognition if they are good, incl. reviewing them and nominating for awards

message 36: by Plamen (new)

Plamen Nenchev (vmro) | 57 comments Oleksandr wrote: "Plamen wrote: "Piranesi is a good choice, I'll back it up."

I also loved her debut novel. Her shorter works - not so much. I hope this one will be good"

I never did manage to read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell at the time, and neither its 1000 pages, nor the 153843dsf43 other books in my list are currently helping its cause.

Piranesi is 270 pages, which is quite manageable.

message 37: by *Tau* (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments Plamen wrote: "Qualityland has absolutely rave reviews."

Indeed, Plamen :-)
The debut of this author (The Kangaroo Chronicles) didn't really appeal to me and the opinions about this book were more divided, at least in the Netherlands and Belgium.
But about Qualityland most people were very enthusiastic and the most heared comment was that it's a brilliant and thought provoking satire. Therefore I think this could be a very interesting book for a groupread,

Oleksandr wrote: "Don't worry - if the book is really good, it [1] will by joy to read [2] quite a few debut novels made it to Hugo/Nebula so it stands a chance."

[1] That's what I thought so too ;-)
[2] Good to know! Actually I didn't really follow Hugo/Nebula before, but when I was looking around here on Goodreads I immediately liked the atmosphere in this group and so I joined in ;-)

Oleksandr wrote: "I most likely made a wrong statement, the correct one is that our primary goal is to find and enjoy туц books and our secondary - to push these books for better recognition if they are good, incl. reviewing them and nominating for awards "

Not at all, Oleksandr! It was just something I thought about after I'd posted my nominations. You know me, always thinking (too much). As I'm not very familiar with the rules of Hugo/Nebula, I just thought that maybe it would be better to go for books that are more widespread and known so that the nominations of the Hugo-voters really stand a chance. But then again, if we begin to think like that, it's a vicious circle of course ...
And to be honest, I like underdogs and standing up for them ;-p

message 38: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 34 comments Mod
They all sound interesting, but two of them have "...what it means to be human..." in the description. That's a red flag for me. You couldn't find another way to sum up the book than a vague cliche???

message 39: by Leticia (new)

Leticia (leticiatoraci) The Doors of Eden seems interesting so I would second that.

message 40: by Plamen (new)

Plamen Nenchev (vmro) | 57 comments *Tau* wrote: "Plamen wrote: "Qualityland has absolutely rave reviews."

Indeed, Plamen :-)
The debut of this author (The Kangaroo Chronicles) didn't really appeal to me and the opinions about thi..."

I'll add it to my books, whatever is decided, thanks, Tau!

message 41: by *Tau* (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments Plamen wrote: "I'll add it to my books, whatever is decided, thanks, Tau!"

You're welcome, Plamen ;-)

message 42: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) | 83 comments So many good books. How am I going to be able to pick.

message 43: by *Tau* (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments Cordelia wrote: "So many good books. How am I going to be able to pick."

I absolutely agree with you, Cordelia :-)

Maybe this is an option? ;-p
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,
Catch a tiger by the toe.
If he hollers, let him go,
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.

message 44: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) | 83 comments *Tau* wrote: "Cordelia wrote: "So many good books. How am I going to be able to pick."

I absolutely agree with you, Cordelia :-)

Maybe this is an option? ;-p
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,
Catch a tiger by the toe...."

Do you think that might work. Might just have to read more than one.

message 45: by *Tau* (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments Cordelia wrote: "Might just have to read more than one."

Oh, I like your idea even better!

message 46: by Oleksandr (new)

Today is the deadline for nominations, last chance to add/change

message 47: by *Tau* (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments Oleksandr wrote: "Today is the deadline for nominations, last chance to add/change"

Apparently the men here rely on the good taste of the women in this group ;-p

message 48: by Oleksandr (new)

*Tau* wrote: "Apparently the men here rely on the good taste of the women in this group ;-p"

I do for sure :)

message 49: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 564 comments Not to be that person, but.... I want to change my fantasy nom to The House in the Cerulean Sea.

message 50: by *Tau* (new)

*Tau* | 111 comments Kristen wrote: "Not to be that person, but.... I want to change my fantasy nom to The House in the Cerulean Sea."

Apparently you haven't read my comment yet in the thread of 'Reading Goals for 2020', because you know (or you don't, but then you'll find out quickly) what they say: "Only a fool never changes his mind." :-D

« previous 1