The Silver Petticoat Book Club discussion

The Blue Castle > The Blue Castle Character Discussion *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Silver Petticoat (silverpetticoat) | 160 comments Mod
It’s time to discuss the characters! What did you think of Valancy? Did you find her to be a likable heroine? She’s a character with a lot of anxiety, and she’s been emotionally abused her entire life. Did you feel empowered by her transformation? Or did you think she needed to have more empathy for her family? Or did you find her too meek in the beginning?

How did you feel about Barney? He’s very secretive and mysterious! Then there’s the Stirlings, Cissy, and more. Who was your favorite character? Least favorite character? Why?

message 2: by Moonflower (new)

Moonflower | 31 comments Silver Petticoat wrote: "It’s time to discuss the characters! What did you think of Valancy? Did you find her to be a likable heroine? She’s a character with a lot of anxiety, and she’s been emotionally abused her entire l..."

I really liked Valancy and felt a lot of empathy for her. She was meek in the beginning, but I think that was realistic for someone who had suffered so much emotional abuse. I loved how she escaped her situation. As for Barney, I understood why he was so secretive. His father was a good man, but his vocation caused Barney a lot of ridicule in their circle of society. I thought his secret probably would either be something that wasnn't really that bad, or else it would be understandable somehow. The compassion he showed for Cissy made me want to like him and the rest of the book only confirmed that for me. My least favorite character was Valancy's mother. I can't imagine treating my daughter that way if I had one. A lot of people don't realize how insidious emotional abuse can be, but it's very psychologically damaging. I have to confess, I got misty-eyed when Cissy died. She was betrayed by someone she loved, lost her baby, and then got consumption. It made me mad that nobody would come see her just because she made a mistake. I know Roaring Abel was supposed to be a reprobate, but I actually liked him. He obviously really cared about Cissy and he made me laugh.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 10 comments I absolutely adored Valancy. I thought she was a little meek, but I understand her predicament. Her family was abusive, especially emotionally. Calling her an old maid. Belittling her. Never allowing her to do anything that she wanted to. I loved it when she started standing up for herself. Her empowerment was just due and I loved every moment of her independence.
I adored Barney and understood his need for secrecy. I live in a small town and understand completely the need for privacy. Everything you do is put up for the world to see, in a manner of speaking, so I could understand Barney's desire to keep to himself.
Cissy was charming and I felt so sorry for her. The only one out of the Stirlings I liked, in a way, was Cousin Geraldine. ( I think I got her name right.) She was the only one who seemed to understand Valancy towards the end. I have to say my favorite character was Valancy because I could relate to her so much. My least favorite is kind of a tie between Mrs. Franklin and her "perfect" cousin. They both seemed to contribute more to the psychological abuse than the rest, but that's just me.

Moonflower wrote: "Silver Petticoat wrote: "It’s time to discuss the characters! What did you think of Valancy? Did you find her to be a likable heroine? She’s a character with a lot of anxiety, and she’s been emotio..."

It was so sad about Cissy. Very heartbreaking. But I loved her as a character! And Abel really was great too.

Amanda wrote: "I absolutely adored Valancy. I thought she was a little meek, but I understand her predicament. Her family was abusive, especially emotionally. Calling her an old maid. Belittling her. Never allowi..."

That moment of independence is why I've loved this book since I was a teenager. Such a wonderful moment!

message 6: by Gracie (new)

Gracie Manning | 14 comments I thought Valancy was a bit of a doormat in the beginning. I love the way she just sparked out though. Going to live with roaring able! Barney was cool too. Very sweet. And it was so sad about Cissy.

Gracie wrote: "I thought Valancy was a bit of a doormat in the beginning. I love the way she just sparked out though. Going to live with roaring able! Barney was cool too. Very sweet. And it was so sad about Cissy."

Valancy really was a doormat so I loved her transformation and interaction with the characters who didn't treat her like a doormat. And, yes, so sad!