Our Shared Shelf discussion

Questions/Ideas/Ask the Mods > When you burnout

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aicha (new)

Aicha Hassani | 2 comments Hi everyone! I was looking a for a group or a disucssion where i can find suggestions about topic above 👆
Bottom line, i think I'm burned out, workwise.

Is there any self-help books i can ready to help me move on and set goals or start fresh? Would appreciate all suggestions 🙏🏽❤️

message 2: by Aicha (new)

Aicha Hassani | 2 comments @sameet, Any suggestions?

message 3: by Florian (new)

Florian (laughingflow) | 220 comments I think solutions are quite personal. I mean something might for someone but not for you.

What comes first in my mind is asking for help around you. Usually friends and family are good support.

Therapy coaching is another solution, a book is of course less expensive but I admit that all the books that explain you how to self develop and so on are either too personal or superficial.

I'm not expert at all but I'm tempted to say that someone who has burnt out must take time for itself to rest and then to do self réflexion. You might find hints but the path is up to you. I hope you will find something or some people to help you!

Good luck!

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Engelhardt Hi Aicha, I feel for you! We're in such a crazy/difficult time overall, let alone when your work/career is taking you down a bad place. That said, there are so many books on this topic, because it's actually fairly broad.

Before you buy one, my suggestion is to take a look at the possible reasons for why you feel burnt out (see https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...) for some helpful tips on possible causes -- then you can find a book or group more tailored to your particular circumstances. Believe it or not, FB has a number of different groups that may be better suited than Goodreads for this.

Good luck!!! Take care. And truthfully, just taking a walk around the block in the middle of the day can help clear your mind enough to keep going -- if you have the flexibility to do that :)

Best,
Laura

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter | 66 comments The most concise summary of how to avoid burn-out I know is Chapter 23, "Thrive", of Ron Heifetz's book, The Practice of Adaptive Leadership, pp. 289-297.

Good luck,

message 6: by Florian (last edited Aug 28, 2020 10:56AM) (new)

Florian (laughingflow) | 220 comments Sameet Zahoor wrote: "Yes I have one"

Please, it's a serious thing. It would seem you are trolling, if you do so please stop.

If you really have a suggestion then write it!

message 7: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Trofimencoff | 48 comments Daring Greatly by Brené Brown

Anything by Thich Nhat Hanh

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (fiction)

Good luck to you!

message 8: by Kierra (new)

Kierra | 2 comments Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle was really good!

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna | 38 comments I don't have any books to recommend, but whenever I'm stressed out and have trouble sleeping I find it helpful to listen to apps with guided mindfuldness sessions.

Take care :)

message 10: by Carolin (new)

Carolin (cassa) | 2 comments Hi Aicha,
Burn out is unfortunately quite common, but as some others have said it is very personal.
I would suggest you take some time for yourself where you don’t do anything. No internet or reading either.
As a yoga teacher I would obviously suggest some yoga and/or meditation. You can find good yoga classes on YouTube, yoga with Adrienne is very popular.
There are some lovely meditation apps, for instance Insight Timer (where most meditations are free) and 10 percent (the intro course is free). You only need 10-15 minutes per day and it has helped me a lot.
I wish you all the best!

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 264 comments hey,

i agree, burnout is serious, overwhelming, and all too common. one thing i had to learn when i experienced it was to say 'no' to too many requests and expectations, limit demands on my time and energy, and not to put myself down when i needed to rest, nap, or just take time for me. basically, i had to set stricter boundaries for myself, which is one of the most difficult things at times.

unfortunately, i didn't learn this until my burnout reached a boiling point and i began getting physically ill, including gastrointestinal problems, chronic bronchitis, and problems with my memory. i'm glad you're recognizing this and wanting to do something about it. please, don't wait to take a break until your body demands that you do!

message 12: by Mara (new)

Mara | 14 comments Hello everyone!

I don't know the right answer BUT I have to say that the book "Women who run with wolves" helped me a lot during the quarantine. And Yoga!

message 13: by Trisha (last edited Oct 10, 2020 09:51AM) (new)

Trisha (trishadunbar) | 19 comments Aicha wrote: "Hi everyone! I was looking a for a group or a disucssion where i can find suggestions about topic above 👆
Bottom line, i think I'm burned out, workwise.

Is there any self-help books i can ready to..."

Hi Aicha, how are you feeling now? It's important during this difficult period to be more mindful and kind to yourself and give yourself regular breaks.

I run a supportive Goodreads Group, with a local community feel called The Book Club 52|52: Reading for self-development & growth

We have a whole section devoted to health and wellbeing. You are very welcome to join us.