On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

Spook Lights: Southern Gothic Horror
This topic is about Spook Lights
Group Reads: Post-1990 > Final Impressions: Spook Lights: Southern Gothic Horror, by Eden Royce- September 2020

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom Mathews | 2664 comments Mod
Comments on this board are made with the assumption that readers have finished the book and may include spoilers.

message 2: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara (phantomswife) | 1227 comments Mod
Not generally my thing, but I will admit to getting into these stories after a while. They are so campy that I felt them more as funny than fearful.

my review

message 3: by NC (new) - rated it 4 stars

NC Stone | 2 comments Demons, hags, spirits and other supernatural creatures populate these tales.
But overall, I enjoyed the relative subtlety of the stories. The atmospherics were nicely done and I liked the mix of folklore from the old world combined with Southern legends. I found some of the stories a bit thin and a few had endings that needed more power, but overall I enjoyed this collection of stories.

message 4: by Judi (last edited Sep 26, 2020 02:23PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judi | 454 comments A little vague and banal for my taste in "visceral horror" stories. Three stars.

message 5: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - rated it 3 stars

I liked the themes but it never seemed like she was able to wrap up the stories satisfactorily. Ditto.

Judi | 454 comments Tom wrote: "I liked the themes but it never seemed like she was able to wrap up the stories satisfactorily. Ditto."

I agree Tom. The endings of the stories left me hanging. I expected more defined resolution.

Barry Flanders | 15 comments This was my review: Enjoyable with a nice variety of tales based on folklore and spook legends. However I found the plots lacking a bit. Endings were often disappointing. Maybe that's just this author's style but it didn't work very well for me. There were some fascinating topics, though.

message 8: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - rated it 3 stars

Barry wrote: "This was my review: Enjoyable with a nice variety of tales based on folklore and spook legends. However I found the plots lacking a bit. Endings were often disappointing. Maybe that's just this aut..."

A good summary. I totally agree.