What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Just to chat > Author of short story "Out of the Rain" in "Sunlight & Shadows" Canadian anthology (1974)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 13 comments I was wondering if anyone knows who the author of one of the stories in this anthology is: The story is "Out of the Rain". The book was compiled in 1974 in Canada
Of if anyone has a complete listing of the stories

message 2: by Kris (last edited Aug 28, 2020 09:33AM) (new)

Kris | 35336 comments Mod
Jeanne, I added more details to the topic header/title, so your book might be recognized from that description alone. Many members only read the headers.

Feel free to update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the topic header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

I believe the anthology is Sunlight & Shadows (not Sunshine) (1974) by James A. MacNeill (Ed.). Short story authors listed on Goodreads:

James A. MacNeill (editor), Glen A. Sorestad (editor), Roald Dahl, Guy de Maupassant, Frank R. Stockton, Graham Greene, E.B. White, Alice Munro, Jacques Ferron, Jean Shepherd, Alden Nowlan, Dorothy M. Johnson, Ambrose Bierce, Ted Wood, W. Somerset Maugham, Frank O'Connor, Gwendolyn MacEwen, William Saroyan, Andreas Schroeder, Eric Frank Russell, Alan Bloch, Terry Carr, W.D. Valgardson

message 3: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 13 comments Kris wrote: "Jeanne, I added more details to the topic header/title, so your book might be recognized from that description alone. Many members only read the headers.

Feel free to update it by clicking the sma..."

Thank you, Kris for the correction. I found that list of writers but can't find a list of the stories to go with it.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19559 comments The contents aren't listed in Worldcat, either.

I was going to suggest writing James A. MacNeill since there's a website listed on his Goodreads page. However, it's been discontinued, and googling reveals he died back in 2016.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nam...

Your best bet is probably buying a copy or messaging a seller. There are plenty of inexpensive copies available for purchase online.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39582 comments Mod
I'm moving this to "Just to chat" since you already know what book this is.

message 6: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 13 comments Sorry; I thought it would go here because I don't know the name of any of the stories in the anthology.

message 7: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 13 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "The contents aren't listed in Worldcat, either.

I was going to suggest writing James A. MacNeill since there's a website listed on his Goodreads page. However, it's been discontinued, and googling..."

I know; I checked World Cat. I haven't found any inexpensive copies of this anywhere, but I will look again.

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19559 comments Both Abebooks and Amazon shows multiple copies for sale....

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...

Of course "inexpensive" is a relative term, but there are plenty of options under $15.

message 9: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 13 comments I don't consider $15 reasonable to find out the name of a story. That's why I posted on here hoping someone might know.

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19559 comments I would try messaging some of the sellers then. One of them should be able to provide you with a list of the stories.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sunlight & Shadows (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

James A. MacNeill (other topics)