Play Book Tag discussion

Inés of My Soul
This topic is about Inés of My Soul
August 2020: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] Inés of My Soul by Isabel Allende - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 4034 comments Inés of My Soul by Isabel Allende - 4 stars - My Review

Historical fiction about the life of Inés Suárez. Born in Spain in the early 1500s, she sails to South America with her niece to find her husband, Juan de Málaga, who has gone in search of gold. The story is told by Inés, near the end of her life, in the form of a diary she plans to give to her stepdaughter, Isabel. The narrative covers her three romantic relationships, and her participation in the expedition to conquer Chile. They establish the city of Santiago and battle the native people.

Allende is known for her female protagonists, and Inés is the prototype of a strong woman. She becomes self-sufficient as a seamstress, cook, and nurse. Allende employs magical realism here, but less so than some of her previous works. This novel is a sweeping saga covering approximately eighty years. Inés experiences many adventures, hardships, battles, and love affairs. The author does not spare the gruesome details of combat, punishments, and executions.

I enjoyed this book and looked forward to picking it up. It occasionally wanders from the primary storyline. I was not previously aware of Inés Suárez and her role in Chilean history. It inspired me to do further research.

message 2: by Joanne (new) - added it

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7988 comments This is one of hers I have not read yet, glad to see you liked it. Allende is a favorite of mine

message 3: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5671 comments Great review. This sounds wonderful. I love it when a book inspires me to search for more information. I know very little about South America.

I definitely want to read more International books next year. I was thinking of challenging myself to read from every continent (maybe not both polls). Or maybe I'll break it down into regions since some are much larger, to come up with 12 total.

Joy D | 4034 comments Joanne wrote: "This is one of hers I have not read yet, glad to see you liked it. Allende is a favorite of mine"

Allende was one of my "author's of the year", where I read a number of her works within a year. I've read a total of 8 of hers.

Joy D | 4034 comments NancyJ wrote: "Great review. This sounds wonderful. I love it when a book inspires me to search for more information. I know very little about South America.

I definitely want to read more International books n..."

Thanks, Nancy! I set a similar goal each year, where I read books from a certain number of different countries.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6082 comments I really liked this one. I remember at my F2F book club we commented that we felt the ending was "rushed" ... we would happily have read another 300 pages of her story!

Joy D | 4034 comments Yes, I agree the ending seems a bit rushed. I was engrossed in reading of this period in this part of the world, which was a first for me.

message 8: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5671 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I really liked this one. I remember at my F2F book club we commented that we felt the ending was "rushed" ... we would happily have read another 300 pages of her story!"

"... we would happily have read another 300 pages of her story!"

That's a great compliment to the author!

Joy D | 4034 comments NancyJ wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "That's a great compliment to the author!"

Agreed. It's always a good thing when you wish it were longer!