What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
UNSOLVED: One specific book > Adult Fiction novel read in 1970s. Subplot: character (narrator?) is unsuccessfully trying to write a book on a narrow topic, but it evolves into a history of the world

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tim (new)

Tim Langdell | 3 comments I think the book was published in the late 60s or the 70s.
Novel read in 1970s. Subplot: character (narrator?) is unsuccessfully trying to write a book on a narrow topic, but it evolves into a history of the world/everything. I read a novel in the 1970s that had as a minor plot point that a key character in it had been trying to write a book on a narrow subject for some time, but each time he wrote he found one thing connected to another, so the book evolved into a history of the world, or a history of everything. As far as I can recall, this wasnt the main plot of the book, it was more just about the personality of this one character-he might have been the narrator? For ages I thought I had recalled it as The Master and Mararita by Bulgakov, but checking that isnt it. Since I was reading it in early 1970s, perhaps it was a 1960s book or just released in early 70s. What book was it and what author?

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19567 comments Tim, you already posted this here....

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Tim (new)

Tim Langdell | 3 comments Right but I got no responses :(. Other than someone oddly suggesting Middlemarch. Someone did respond saying I had to repost mentioning adult fiction in the subject - so I did

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39583 comments Mod
Closing this thread - it's a duplicate. Please don't create duplicate threads.

In a few days we'll delete this.

Kris (a moderator) didn't ask you to repost, just to edit your topic header. If you're unable to edit a topic header for whatever reason, just tell us that in the thread and we'll edit it for you.

You can bump a thread no more often than every 30 days. Please read the rules at the top of the group's home page.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.