The Midnight Readers discussion

✧ Author Discussions > Sarah J Maas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Random Pineapple (certifiedkilljoy) | 16297 comments I don’t have a problem with Throne of Glass and Crescent City, but ACOTAR wasn’t as good. Feyre was kind of annoying and the whole abusive relationship thing was in my face the whole time. I get it. Tamlin’s abusive. Okay. You don’t have to repeat it a thousand times. I also felt like the character in ACOTAR were underdeveloped and the plot was kind of meh. She could have taken that 10 page sex scene and developed the plot more. Just saying. I’m just listing the bad things though. I liked the books, they just weren’t as good as her other books.

Random Pineapple (certifiedkilljoy) | 16297 comments I wish more YA fantasy books had lgbtq+ relationships. I feel like when they do it’s just the side characters. Like Evangeline and Elain in Red Queen. That was like my favourite ship in the whole series but it was side characters. All the lgbtq+ relationships are in contemporary books and I don’t read contemporary. (Please note that this criticism does not apply to the Lunar Chronicles, which is actual perfection)

message 3: by Celi (new)

Celi | 87 comments I do like ToG a lot, but I do agree that everyone is way too perfect, especially Rhys from ACOTAR. That's why I don't really like him, he was fine in the first book, but then the second book came and he was like the most perfect person ever. I got really bored of him. And the other thing that I don't like is the good guy turning bad and bad guy turning good (Tamlin and Rhys) it's so annoyed. I'm not saying that Tamlin did everything right cuz he didn't, but it's seems like SJM just turn him bad so everyone will like Rhys. And with Rhys been to perfect, I mean c'mon, really? that didn't work for me, and I don't think Tamlin deserve so much hate.

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) Sarah is my favourite author. I just love all her books and all the characters. They’re the books I love with all my heart

message 5: by Lillyyy, Bookish Immortal (new)

Lillyyy | 5564 comments Again, am I the only person in this giant world who dislikes ToG but loves ACOTAR?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

...I guess so, since I like ToG better than ACOTAR

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

well that's just my opinion, I doubt you're the only one

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) Well I think you need to get further into TOG to appreciate it if you don’t love it right away. Heir of Fire is heartbreaking, I hope you love that one.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I may or may not have read a single SJM book. What books would you recommend from her?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Adela wrote: "Nikki wrote: "I may or may not have read a single SJM book. What books would you recommend from her?"

I recommend starting with Throne Of Glass series, then reading the A Court Of Thorns And Roses..."

haha cool! I'll keep that in mind. I'mma go add Throne of Glass to my TBR

message 11: by Sofia, Bookish Duck (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 5001 comments I agree with Adela. Everyone's straight and white (I shipped Celaena and Nehemia but that died for obvious reasons). And perfect, too. They're all sassy and thin and have luscious hair and perfect skin and wonderful love lives. I envy them.

But I love SJM anyway. I just think she has some problems that she needs to fix pronto.

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) Yeah. I mean Aedion’s bi, mor is bi or lesbian (I can’t remember which one rn), Crescent city has quite a few LGBTQ characters (fury, juniper, Isaiah, Declan, a few others I believe).
Most are white but she is getting better and I have faith she’ll have much more diversity in upcoming books!
And tbh it all book characters have good skin and hair bc it’s too much of a hassle to give tyrm anything else, especially if it’s fantasy. You can’t write a chapter about them trying to wash their face if it’s a fast paced fantasy. As unrealistic as it seems it’s a simple way for authors to have less things to manage and keep on their mind.
And the sass part is what makes them so likeable for me

message 13: by Sofia, Bookish Duck (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 5001 comments Aedion is bi???? Sorry, I didn't realize that. I'm shook.

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) lol yeah he is it’s mentioned in EOS😂

message 15: by Sofia, Bookish Duck (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 5001 comments ☀︎El In Oz☀︎ wrote: "lol yeah he is it’s mentioned in EOS😂"

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT

message 16: by Sofia, Bookish Duck (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 5001 comments So I found this meme about it
I am so here for the Bi Aedion theory<< but wasn't there proof in the books that he's Bi? | Throne of glass books, Throne of glass, Throne of glass series

sorry not sorry ;)

message 17: by Random Pineapple (new)

Random Pineapple (certifiedkilljoy) | 16297 comments 😂😂

message 18: by Random Pineapple (new)

Random Pineapple (certifiedkilljoy) | 16297 comments I love sassy characters
And I mean. At least Aelin knows she looks good. I hate when characters are like “I’m so plain with my brown hair” when I’m reality they could be a supermodel.
At least Aelin acknowledges that she’s not plain, because it’s annoying as hell when characters do that

message 19: by Random Pineapple (new)

Random Pineapple (certifiedkilljoy) | 16297 comments And maybe it was better when SJM characters were all straight because Mor’s six page coming out scene was ridiculous.
Aedion just mentioned it briefly.
And I’m pretty sure Fury from Crescent City is lesbian, but she only mentioned it once.
So basically Mor is the exception here.
And there were a million dashes and “...” in that scene.

message 20: by Sofia, Bookish Duck (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 5001 comments SJM Trash wrote: "I love sassy characters
And I mean. At least Aelin knows she looks good. I hate when characters are like “I’m so plain with my brown hair” when I’m reality they could be a supermodel.
At least Ae..."

I knowwwwww

message 21: by Nara (new)

Nara | 48 comments ☀︎El In Oz☀︎ wrote: "Sarah is my favourite author. I just love all her books and all the characters. They’re the books I love with all my heart"

Yessss sammeeeee!! My top three fav book series are all by her!!

daughterofathenacarli | 63 comments I loved Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight! They were amazing! I'm currently reading Heir of Fire, but it's taking me FOREVER. Idk why, it just hasn't hooked me as much as the other two. I think maybe it's because it has so much of like the witch coven polotics that i just really get stuck at those parts. I REALLY don't like Manon's perspective. Her character is fine, but i hate her perspective. I absolutely LOVE Celeana/Aelin's perspective and charcater though. And i tried to start ACOTAR but idk, it just didn't catch my attention. It was kinda meh. I dnfed it, i'll probably finish it later. I heard that Cresent City was really amazing, but i also heard it was a little more adult. Do you think it's appropriate for a 13 year old?

message 23: by Ayla (new)

Ayla (aylareadsbooks) | 8281 comments ACOTAR is more adult too.

message 24: by Sofia, Bookish Duck (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 5001 comments I hate Manon. She annoys me.

message 25: by Sofia, Bookish Duck (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 5001 comments I beg to differ

message 26: by Sofia, Bookish Duck (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 5001 comments SHE GAVE UP HER FELLOW WITCHES TO BE BRED

message 27: by Lillyyy, Bookish Immortal (last edited Nov 02, 2020 11:15AM) (new)

Lillyyy | 5564 comments I am confusion. I really need to read HoF

message 28: by Sofia, Bookish Duck (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 5001 comments Yes you do

message 29: by Random Pineapple (new)

Random Pineapple (certifiedkilljoy) | 16297 comments Sofia wrote: "SHE GAVE UP HER FELLOW WITCHES TO BE BRED"

THEY VOLUNTEERED AND HER GRANDMOTHER MADE HER AND PERRINGTON WAS JUST GOING TO TAKE ONE ANYWAY

message 30: by Random Pineapple (new)

Random Pineapple (certifiedkilljoy) | 16297 comments Lilly wrote: "I am confusion. I really need to read HoF"

YES YOU DO

message 31: by Sofia, Bookish Duck (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 5001 comments I'm still mad at her

message 32: by Angel.cana (new)

Angel.cana (cottonchatter) | 5 comments Adela wrote: "Sofia wrote: "I hate Manon. She annoys me."

NOOO HOW DARE YOU MANON IS THE BEST CHARACTER IN THOSE BOOKS BESIDES DORIAN"

I actually started off not liking Manon. Every time her POV started I would get so annoyed. But I was tripping Manon is amazing. Give her time.

message 33: by Sofia, Bookish Duck (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 5001 comments I've read the whole series and Manon does eventually get better. She annoyed me in QoS, though.

message 34: by Bumble (new)

Bumble Greenbriar (hernameiscrumpet) | 971 comments the real problem is how sjm introduced about 4 lgbtq+ characters into her series but they were all in the same book, it felt token-y.

message 35: by krista ☽✧ (new)

krista ☽✧ (bookishwarriorofhope) | 3498 comments i feel like i totally get why people wont like Sarah as an author , she is definitly an author with a writing style you have to like however why i love her books somuch is the charracters and the storys of charracters that struggle and how well those struggels are potrayed and how real they are it isnt like in a lot of other books where a charracter goes trough sometimes or has an issue and one day later is totally fine again. The charracters struggle and i feel like all her books form a story bout struggels and hope in some way and thats why i appriciate her as an author somuch and her storys. I do agree on the lgbtq charracters and how she doesnt do that well but other then that i love her as a writer. I also feel all her romances are really great slowburns and also about healing together without the trope '' fixing '' eachother completely but helping eachother heal and support and being there.

message 36: by Bumble (new)

Bumble Greenbriar (hernameiscrumpet) | 971 comments I do love her characters. especially the inner circle in acotar ✨✨

message 37: by krista ☽✧ (new)

krista ☽✧ (bookishwarriorofhope) | 3498 comments I feel like she just does a great way of creating charracters that go trough stuff and showing the proces of healing in her stories and charracters

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura PVV (analaurapvv) | 54 comments I love Sarah and I think the only "bad" thing is how she handles lgbtq representation and diversity cuz most of her characters are white, but other than that I think she rocks.

I honestly think JK Rowling has more things against her than Sarah does and I feel some people are too hard on Sarah

message 39: by Bumble (new)

Bumble Greenbriar (hernameiscrumpet) | 971 comments well jkr is a whole other story

message 40: by krista ☽✧ (new)

krista ☽✧ (bookishwarriorofhope) | 3498 comments Ugh don’t even talk about that author ugh. But like there are definitly quite a few charracters of colour in the throne of glass series tho

message 41: by Laura (new)

Laura PVV (analaurapvv) | 54 comments I guess, but on the first books we only have Nehemia, and we know how she ends up.

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura PVV (analaurapvv) | 54 comments And then Sorscha...

message 43: by krista ☽✧ (new)

krista ☽✧ (bookishwarriorofhope) | 3498 comments hm yes true

message 44: by krista ☽✧ (new)

krista ☽✧ (bookishwarriorofhope) | 3498 comments how do you guys feel about Jennifer L. Armentrout , i always feel like her writing style and stuff is a bit like Sarahs

message 45: by krista ☽✧ (new)

krista ☽✧ (bookishwarriorofhope) | 3498 comments i also always feel like if you dont like Sarah J. Maas her books you will probs not like her books and her from blood and ash series

message 46: by Lia (new)

Lia (wafflewraith) | 564 comments I agree, it's like she's using SJM's writing as a template/inspiration for her From Blood and Ash series.
Though, I also feel that JLA's writing style is more straightforward than SJM's.

message 47: by krista ☽✧ (new)

krista ☽✧ (bookishwarriorofhope) | 3498 comments yes it is definitly a bit different but i do see some things that are quite similair it is kinda a like if you like this author you will like that one for those two but still kinda different.

message 48: by Lia (new)

Lia (wafflewraith) | 564 comments Yep, I get what you're saying. If you like SJM's books, you'd probably like JLA's as well.

message 49: by krista ☽✧ (new)

krista ☽✧ (bookishwarriorofhope) | 3498 comments yes and if you dont like sarah her books and style i feel like you woudnt like jennifer her books

message 50: by Lucy Tonks (new)

Lucy Tonks | 430 comments i really enjoyed throne of glass and crescent city, i think i consider both of them soem of my all time favourite books, but acotar was really not my cup of tea...

« previous 1