Play Book Tag discussion

Women Rowing North: Navigating Life’s Currents and Flourishing As We Age
This topic is about Women Rowing North
August 2020: Other Books > Women Rowing North: navigating Life’s Currents and Flourishing As We Age – Mary Pipher - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1124 comments This was an easy read about women's attitudes changing as they age. Several life stories are chronicled throughout including the author's. I didn't really get any new incites. Most of the information was common sense or ideas that we've heard before. Women's lives do change due to retirement, health issues, end of life issues, grief, loneliness, and in some cases coming into new strengths. How they are handled depends on too many factors to generalize.

At times there were ideas posed as commonality that I didn't connect with or feel were as universal as she purports. And psychologists often fall into using current catch phrases to define what should be said and some of these just turn me off. If someone said to me “I hear what you're saying” I would wonder “Do they?” or have they read the latest self-help book.

Her comments on positivism making the difference in a lot of circumstances has been covered often and while proved effective is not new. So, overall, a decent read but not eye-opening.

message 2: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1444 comments Linda, I had the same reactions while reading the book.