Star Wars Book Club discussion

Books > Poe Dameron: Free Fall

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Don (new)

Don Brown (donkbrown) I see the group shall be delving into Poe Dameron: Free Fall for its September read. Here are a few spoiler-free details on the book.

It is a Teen and Young Adult novel recently released (at the time of this post - Aug 2020) for ages 12 to 18. It tells the story of a young Poe during his time with the spice runners of Kijimi. Poe experiences a disconnect with his mother after his father's death. He runs away from home to discover adventure - and to discover himself.

The story takes place in 18 ABY (After the Battle of Yavin, when the second Death Star was destroyed) and sixteen years before the events of The Force Awakens.

As of now, the only continuity issue surrounds Poe's father, Kes. He was a soldier, not a pilot as mentioned in some material.

For further reading on Poe:
- Marvel comics 31-part Poe Dameron comic from 2016 to 2017 set in the year preceding The Force Awakens.
- Marvel's Age of Resistance: Poe Dameron 1 from August 2019 set three years before The Force Awakens.
- Before the Awakening junior novel (ages 8-12) from December 2015 set one to three years before The Force Awakens.
- Resistance Reborn novel from November 2019 set before the events of the The Rise of Skywalker.

I am sure to be missing something, but I hope the above helps as a primer and adds more reading material for the dedicated Poe Dameron fan. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Desmond (new)

Desmond Shepherd (desmondshepherd) | 44 comments Thanks! Not sure if I'll be reading this or not. But I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts who do read it.

message 3: by Don (new)

Don Brown (donkbrown) I was planning on skipping Poe Dameron: Free Fall . But, as I was preparing the above post I started to develop an interest in it! So, I ordered it. It's a Young Adult novel and at only 384 pages (in the hardcover) it should be a quick read. I hope it's a good one. We'll keep ya posted!

May the Force be with you.

message 4: by Thierry (new)

Thierry Ullmann | 6 comments So I just finished the book and here are my thougts. First, I'm gonna try to keep it spoiler free. Second, this is my first book review, not only in this group, but overall, so don't expect a deep analyse. Well enough pretalk, let's look at the book.

Quick look at the setting: The book takes place 18ABY and tells a story about a young Poe Dameron and his relationship with the Spice Runners of Kijimi, especially Zorii, who we meet again in Rise of Skywalker.

At first I struggled to get invested in the story and even though I enjoyed the second half of the book a lot more, I found it overall pretty mediocre. The Kijimi part of Rise of Skywalker was probably my favourite part of the movie, so I was very interested in learning more about Kijimi and the Spice Runners. In the end I think the book did a good job with that. It gives a bit background for the planet and the state of the galaxy at whole. But more importantly we get more about the Relationship between Zorii and Poe, which was what I enjoyed most. The book sets up the situation nicely in RoS, in which those two meet again. And of course we get more Babu and more Babu is always great.

Now that I look on what I wrote, it all sounds pretty positive and I can't really point my finger on what I didn't like about it. The only thing that bugged me is: how many damn times "Spice Runners of Kijimi" is written out. It's a small detail, but half way through i really considered starting to drink every time I read it. But back to serious: Everything is ok, but just not more than that. Not what I'd call a must-read, but if you like Poe and would like to add some substance to RoS, I'd give it a try.

3/5

message 5: by Don (new)

Don Brown (donkbrown) Thierry wrote: "So I just finished the book and here are my thoughts. ..."

Well done, Thierry, and thanks for sharing your thoughts on Poe Dameron: Free Fall . It is great to hear what club members think! I have yet to read it, but I will in the next couple of weeks.

I wonder if the young adult nature, pace and tone of the book was the issue that lingered in the background as you read. Whether or not that is the case, As of now, 72% of Good Reads readers gave it a 3 or 4 rating, so your opinion appears to be the general consensus - not great and not terrible.

message 6: by Khurram (new)

Khurram (theirongeek) | 21 comments Hi

My experience of the book was different. I went in not expecting much. Especially as I knew it was a young adult book. Also I thought in the Rise of Skywalker movie Poe, character completely changed. in the other movies and book he seemed like a hardcore New Republic Militery person through and through. That is what I expected when I read about his parents in the comics as well. For me this book did a great job of showing how a young and rebellious Poe could get involved with as a Spice Runner. I like the conflict in him all the way through of the ideals his parents fought for Vs finding his own way in the galaxy.

My only complaint was the ending felt a bit rushed to me. I would not be surprised, and happy to buy a sequel to this book. A sequel might have been the reason for the rushed ending and many things left undone.

I would have rather this book 4.5 stars, as I enjoyed it all the way through so I thought it deserved a round up to 5 on my review.

Kind regards

Khurram

message 7: by Don (new)

Don Brown (donkbrown) Thierry wrote: "Now that I look on what I wrote, it all sounds pretty positive and I can't really point my finger on what I didn't like about it."

I am in the same spot as Thierry on Poe Dameron: Free Fall . As I suspected, it is not a terrible book and it is not a great book: it is average. I write a bit more in a review of sorts HERE.

I think E.K. Johnston and Claudia Gray have a better handle on the Star Wars Teen/Young Adult genre than Segura does. Their books feel more like Star Wars to me. That said, I do feel like Segura captured the personality and character of a young Poe very well. His internal dialogue is great and resonates the thoughts and ideas of how I would imagine Poe as a young man in his late teenage years.

I found myself very interested in the book's beginning, and lost interest as the story turned to the politics and goals of Zeva's spice runners. I think the ending of the book was okay - not mind blowing, but Poe finds his purpose. I would have preferred more detail in he arena fight, but that is my adult brain seeking more from a Teen/YA book and may not be fair.

Poe Dameron: Free Fall is a good book for its audience and tells a simple Star Wars story without much "wow" factor. It is three out of five stars for me.