Art Lovers discussion

Photography Forum > What do you know about Ansel Adams?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather I went to a thrift store, actually I frequent this particular place a lot. So far I have found a matted and framed, in perfect shape, a signed print of van Gogh's Cafe Terrace at Night Monet's matted and framed, also in perfect shape Woman with an umbrella I think that was the name of it. I gave that to a good friend.

I have three Norman Rockwell. Two are just the print paper, no frame or matting. They are a bit dirty and dusty, but not ripped or defaced in any way. Then I found another one in the same store matted, framed....

It is 18" x 22". In perfect condition, professionally framed.

Is this a good find?

Then I wanted to ask you about this next one.....

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather

I don't know what it's called. The back has the wire to hang it. The edges of the back had paper tape around them and that was coming off in places so I just peeled it all off. It is otherwise in good condition, too. This one is 2' x 3'.

So does anyone know much about his work? What it's worth? How he did in the market?
My brother used to collect some of his photos, the big ones (or are they all big?) My brother has the house to hang them. But he then lost interest.

I want to know what you think!

message 3: by Ruth (last edited Aug 25, 2020 01:57PM) (new)

Ruth | 1945 comments Heather, the value of pieces like this depends on whether they are original prints made by the artist, or if they are reproductions made just like magazine covers and posters are made. It's more likely that they are reproductions, but occasionally finds do turn up.

message 4: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2020 02:21PM) (new)

Heather Ruth wrote: "Heather, the value of pieces like this depends on whether they are original prints made by the artist, or if they are reproductions made just like magazine covers and posters are made. It's more li..."

Hmmm, good answer. I wouldn't know how to find out. I'm assuming this is just a poster made. Just because of the paper tape on the back and just the way it was donated to a thrift store?? Thank you, Ruth.

What about those Norman Rockwells up there? Probably same answer?

message 5: by Ruth (last edited Aug 25, 2020 05:33PM) (new)

Ruth | 1945 comments An original Ansel Adams would be a photograph. Of course, many photographs can be printed from one negative, but each one would be considered an original. It should be obvious if yours is a photo on photo paper. If it's on plain old thin nonphoto paper it's most probably a mass-produced reproduction.

Rockwell is complicated. He mostly painted his originals in oils, but licensed many reproductions. Many of his paintings were done for magazines like the Saturday Evening Post. A licensed reproduction, especially if signed, would probably be worth something. But there are jillions of plain old reproductions out there.

One way you can check to see if something is a mass-produced reproduction is to look at it with a hand lens. Conventional printing presses used a dot system to blend the colors. If under high magnification you see dots, it was done on a printing press.

A licensed reproduction might be marked as such.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather Thank you, Ruth!
A lot of good information.