Play Book Tag discussion

Sex and Vanity
This topic is about Sex and Vanity
August 2020: Other Books > Sex and Vanity, by Kevin Kwan- 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3824 comments I had such high hopes for this, and unfortunately it landed on the upper side of meh. It was still fun, breezy book, and high in entertainment value. Lucie Churchill is 19, and visiting Capri her friends lavish wedding. She is instantly attracted to George Zao, and wackiness ensues. Apparently this is a retelling of 'A Room with a View', but I don't know that story- so this fact was was irrelevant to me.

What I wanted: The same 'location as a character' feel that CRA gave me, immersing me into the scenes.
What I got: I REALLY DID get this in Capri. Loved the setting, the immersion.

What I wanted- the same salacious, gossipyness of CRA.
What I got- Similar salaciousness, but with more unlikable characters, which made it seem superficial and the characters seem annoying.

What I wanted- fun romance with the beginning/meet cute in Italy, and the rest of the book following the couple coming back together.
What I got- 50% of the book is set in Italy with them meeting, 45% of the book following Lucie years later, and the final 5% reconnecting. LOTS of build up.

The best parts about this book were the discussion and study of Lucie herself. She struggles with her 'Asian-ness' versus her 'whiteness' coming from a mixed background. She sees who she dates and her relationships through a lens of race, culture, and how she will be judged for her choices. Lucie is likable, but the majority of the other characters are not. One is the absolute worst- but he is built to be a villain. Her choices are definitely questionable, and I didn't want to 'root for her' like I did Rachel in CRA.

TLDR- A notch down from CRA, but check your expectations, and you'll be satisfied with a fun beachy summer read.

message 2: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3450 comments Darn, I was wondering about this one!

message 3: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1601 comments Crap! I had high hopes because of CRA... it was one I was excited about coming out this summer. Bummer.