The Midnight Readers discussion

✧ Personal Book Nooks > Shubham's nook

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shubham (last edited Aug 25, 2020 10:17AM) (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments So talking about personal life now, are we? School started 2 weeks back and I had to do Coaching since March, that thing really frustrates me out. Used this lockdown to catch up on the old hobby of sketching. Now, since school as back to full speed, I will have to sidetrack that again.

Recently I was discussing Harry Potter with my friends, I got nostalgic and have thus started rereading the books. Peace out!

message 2: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments Aria wrote: "I love re-reading Harry Potter too!"

We all do love re-reading them, except for the cursed child, that book was so bad I don't really consider that it exists.

message 3: by Ashi (new)

Ashi | 441 comments I agree, Cursed Child was so bad, I stopped reading Harry Potter for a while. But then I forgot about it, so I read the entire series about 5 more times :)

message 4: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments Okay, this happened for two days in a row now. I plugged in my phone to charger before going to sleep but forgot to turn on the switch. I am an idiot.

message 5: by Ash (new)

Ash ~ bookmaniac~ (aakanksha99) | 150 comments Shubham wrote: "Okay, this happened for two days in a row now. I plugged in my phone to charger before going to sleep but forgot to turn on the switch. I am an idiot."

i've done the same so many times and its so frustrating

message 6: by Juuso (new)

Juuso | 176 comments How has today been?

message 7: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments It was fine, just the routine stuff. There are a new bunch of students in my class this year (I had almost the same set of classmates for last 10 years) and tbh I am not liking them very much.

message 8: by Juuso (new)

Juuso | 176 comments Shubham wrote: "It was fine, just the routine stuff. There are a new bunch of students in my class this year (I had almost the same set of classmates for last 10 years) and tbh I am not liking them very much."

Oh, i hope they turn out to be fine!

message 9: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments I tried watching Doctor Who today, I have mixed feelings for the show.

message 10: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments I finished rereading Sorcerer's Stone today and will be moving to Chamber of Secrets now.

Also I shaved my mustache for the first time ever yesterday and it really feels so wierd now. (・_・;)

message 11: by amia (new)

amia (makevocaloidgreatagain) lol

message 12: by Juuso (new)

Juuso | 176 comments Shubham wrote: "I tried watching Doctor Who today, I have mixed feelings for the show."

I have pretty mixed feeling too.

message 13: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments Could not get much reading done and I don't think I will be able to do it for a few months now.

Actually the dates for KVPY(the full for of which translates from Hindi to Young Scientists Appreciation Program) has been announced. This is very important to me and I have been studying hard for months for this but will still have to amp up my efforts in these last 3-4 months.

message 14: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments Also please recommend me some books in case I have a nervous breakdown, and I need to get my mind off things.

message 15: by Ashi (new)

Ashi | 441 comments What genres do you like?

message 16: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments SciFi, Fantasy, Dystopian

message 17: by Ashi (new)

Ashi | 441 comments These are all pretty popular but I would say...The Hunger Games, Divergent, Maze Runner, The Lunar Chronicles. They're all really good! The second and third books of both The Hunger Games and Divergent aren't super great, but the first books are amazing!!

message 18: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments Thanks Ashi, I have already read Maze Runner and Hunger games but I will surely try to read the other two series.

message 19: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments So we had a house party last night. Being a host can be exhausting task. Also being socially awkward, parties tend to get boring for me too soon.

message 20: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments Also I was trying to start a convo with my crush on Instagram this week, but all I ever get as a reply are single word answers like cool, hmm, good, haha🙁

message 21: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments I ordered The Martian and Dune 2 weeks back from amazon and they are still not here. Also the prices of most paperbacks in online stores has been doubled or even tripled since the lockdown.

This is really pissing me off. I can read the kindle versions but reading paperbacks has a very different feeling, and I prefer paperbacks.

message 22: by Lillyyy, Bookish Immortal (new)

Lillyyy | 5564 comments 2 weeks ago? That's stupid. Also, jeez, that's a lot for a paperback. I'm trying to calculate how much that is but since you're obviously not using American money that's not working well 😂. That's still a lot for a paperback (presumably). I've been wanting to read Dune, so can't wait what you think. I definitely agree about reading on kindle. It's not the same

message 23: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments Lilly wrote: "2 weeks ago? That's stupid. Also, jeez, that's a lot for a paperback. I'm trying to calculate how much that is but since you're obviously not using American money that's not working well 😂. That's ..."

Well I would have got most paper backs here for Rs. 500-600 maybe even less. That would translate to around 7-8 dollars but now they are selling the same books for 1500-2500 rupees that will be 20-35 dollar per book. I use my pocket money to buy them and there are not many local stores around😫

message 24: by Srujan (last edited Oct 21, 2020 10:37PM) (new)

Srujan (srujanreads) | 422 comments Shubham wrote: "Lilly wrote: "2 weeks ago? That's stupid. Also, jeez, that's a lot for a paperback. I'm trying to calculate how much that is but since you're obviously not using American money that's not working w..."

I know! I don't have any book store near me. The one which has english books is faaaaar away from my home and the other bookstores provide only hindi and marathi books.

message 25: by Suditi (new)

Suditi (the_book_farer) You did not order books in the sale?
Prices were pretty low........Also have you heard of Bookish Santa?

message 26: by Srujan (new)

Srujan (srujanreads) | 422 comments I brought 5 books (3 novels and 2 academic) from the current The Great Indian Amazon Sale. I don't know about Bookish Santa.

message 27: by Suditi (new)

Suditi (the_book_farer) Bookish Santa is an Indian book website .....they are new and their prices are comparatively low from Amazon and Flipkart. They sell used books too and the service is great (they give a beautiful bookmark and a note on every book)

message 28: by Suditi (new)

Suditi (the_book_farer) I have ended up ordering more from them than other sites

message 29: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments Suditi wrote: "You did not order books in the sale?
Prices were pretty low........Also have you heard of Bookish Santa?"

I was not keeping track😶

message 30: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments Suditi wrote: "Bookish Santa is an Indian book website .....they are new and their prices are comparatively low from Amazon and Flipkart. They sell used books too and the service is great (they give a beautiful b..."

Will check out

message 31: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments Srujan wrote: "I brought 5 books (3 novels and 2 academic) from the current The Great Indian Amazon Sale. I don't know about Bookish Santa."

Okay.............I think I should really keep track of sales from now on. I actually don't watch tv and thus didnt come across the ads.

message 32: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments Srujan wrote: "I brought 5 books (3 novels and 2 academic) from the current The Great Indian Amazon Sale. I don't know about Bookish Santa."

Btw which books did u get???

message 33: by Srujan (last edited Oct 21, 2020 11:48PM) (new)

Srujan (srujanreads) | 422 comments I had ordered,
The Elite, The One , Night Circus, Class 10th ICSE Chemistry Question bank😂 and Writing with ease by Usha pandit.
I had also ordered Looking for Alaska but the ordered got cancelled because the didn't have it(I was so angry because it was the first time I had ordered a hardcover book!!)

message 34: by Suditi (new)

Suditi (the_book_farer) The Night Circus was aweeeeeesome.

message 35: by Srujan (new)

Srujan (srujanreads) | 422 comments I am going to start reading it on7th November after my exams end. I am very excited to read it.

message 36: by Shubham (last edited Oct 22, 2020 06:16AM) (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments Srujan wrote: "I had ordered,
The Elite, The One , Night Circus, Class 10th ICSE Chemistry Question bank😂 and Writing with ease by Usha pandit.
I had also ordered Looking for Alaska but the ordered got cancelled..."

Well that might be good, you won't wanna waste on a hardcover of that book. It's on the dnf list of a lot of members of this group including mine. Others I haven't read but they sound interesting.

message 37: by Shubham (new)

Shubham Raj (memberofspew) | 268 comments Also Suditi thanks for suggesting that website, I ended up ordering five books today.

message 38: by Suditi (new)

Suditi (the_book_farer) Ikr!! I am glad you liked it.
You can also join their telegram group. They offer many coupon codes and deals. The members of the group also keep selling their old books so you might occasionally find something great.

George (DiNOsAuR) | 2918 comments hey Sudham