The Midnight Readers discussion

✧ Personal Book Nooks > urmom's Nook

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments ahaha i love the idea of these "book nooks." however, mine is quite fraudulent since i have been a horrible reader since school started (nearly 2 weeks ago). a book that usually might've taken me one day is taking me nearly 2 weeks :'((. it's very sad that i can't just read all day anymore bcuz actually have stuff to do ahahaha. i can't even go on goodreads nearly as much. i find school to be very disruptive to my reading habits XD. if anyone wants to talk about books, school, or anything that's completely unrelated, that sounds great haha. oH and i'm currently reading The Nickel Boys and Hamilton: The Revolution. *sigh* time for me to return to my heap of homework (technically, everything is homework since i have to do school at home/online). it's been nice talkin' to ya XD

OH also totally random but i just bought Dracula and the cover is all bendy and soft (apparently it's called "flexibound"? i prefer calling it "sorcery" haha) and i want to read it nOw XD

ok. good talk :D

message 2: by Juuso (new)

Juuso | 179 comments I really wanna read The Nickel Boys, but it sound bit cliche.. Is it any good?

message 3: by Juuso (new)

Juuso | 179 comments Aria wrote: "Wow to weeks ago! I guess school started for me two weeks ago but it still feels like a long time!"

Mine did too haha (but i was sick at home last week)

message 4: by Juuso (new)

Juuso | 179 comments Aria wrote: "School is very boring and I hate online school. Are you doing online school or home-school or something else?"

We are already back at normal school system (which sounds crazy, but this is Finland... But yeah, here was not even lot of cases). Also i love how we are taking over this discussion

message 5: by Juuso (new)

Juuso | 179 comments Yep! Corona is getting better here, but this school system feels still little bit unsafe

message 6: by Juuso (new)

Juuso | 179 comments Like i mean there have never been lot cases, but it is getting lower all the time.

message 7: by Juuso (new)

Juuso | 179 comments I agree! I just hope the corona cases do not get a lot higher now (and i know if they do, we will move back to the online school system)

message 8: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments Juuso wrote: "I really wanna read The Nickel Boys, but it sound bit cliche.. Is it any good?"

oops i forgot to answer this haha.
yeah! i'm about halfway through and i've never read a story about a reform school like this. i'm enjoying it so far. also, if you're interested, i heard a podcast of colson whitehead talking about it and the book is based on an actual reform school called "the dozier school", which is tragic but interesting lol

message 9: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments Aria wrote: "School is very boring and I hate online school. Are you doing online school or home-school or something else?"

i have online school bcuz i also live in cali :,(. i have my math class in 2 minutes lol

message 10: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments Juuso wrote: "We are already back at normal school system (which sounds crazy, but thi..."

oml i've seen so many videos on how Finland has the best educational system and how u guys don't get homework haha. you're very lucky XD

message 11: by shea (new)

shea ٩(^‿^)۶

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (cresarie) | 68 comments Hii I just saw you made a nook! I'm going back to school next week, but I've got to cram 3 months of work into this week because I've spent quarantine reading and scrolling through Insta soo kinda regretting that now..

message 13: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments Sarah wrote: "Hii I just saw you made a nook! I'm going back to school next week, but I've got to cram 3 months of work into this week because I've spent quarantine reading and scrolling through Insta soo kinda ..."

hey! wow good luck to all of that XD. i'm not sure if it's just me, but i've never had summer homework haha (which i am very thankful for XD). but i believe in ur procrastinating capabilities :D

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (cresarie) | 68 comments I don't normally have homework over the summer holidays, just this summer because I'm starting A Levels when I go back and its a pretty big jump so we've been set loads of prep work :/ Not loving it so far XD Thanks! :D

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (cresarie) | 68 comments Do you like Marvel?

message 16: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments ok i'm going to be completely honest, but i'm not quite sure what A Levels are, but i know they're like, high level high school ish?? idk. most of my knowledge of the english education is from radio silence ahaha. and yes. i do like marvel. lol i have an infinity war poster about 2 feet away from me at this very moment XD

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (cresarie) | 68 comments Basically when we're 16 we can either leave secondary school (high school?) to go to college or do an apprenticeship, or we can stay on for another 2 years to study A Level exams, which is basically studying 3 subjects at a really high level with scary exams at the end of it XD

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (cresarie) | 68 comments And ayy, I've been having a Marvel movie marathon of the films in chronological order and like my Marvel obsession had died down a bit but now it's back full force XD

message 19: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments Sarah wrote: "Basically when we're 16 we can either leave secondary school (high school?) to go to college or do an apprenticeship, or we can stay on for another 2 years to study A Level exams, which is basicall..."

ohhhhh that makes sense haha. yeah, while i was reading radio silence they kept talking about A Levels and other stuff, and I had to keep stopping to google things XD. do u know what the IB program is? i'm not sure, but i think it's british (according to my physics teacher haha), so we have to label our units all weirdly lol. and if i guess your equivalent of secondary school is sorta like our middle school? idk XD.

oml that's so fun! i did that a few years ago (watching them all through) and it was great. there's nothing more satisfying than seeing the post-credits scene and then ACTUALLY understanding it ahaha (bcuz usually it's a future movie and i'm just sitting there like "wow that post credits scene was cool, but it literally made no sense" XD)

message 20: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments yeah exactly! the wave they wove everything together in infinity war and endgame *chef kiss* XD

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) The ragnarok mid credits scene is so sad when you realize the beginning of Infinity War is right after and Thor and Loki were both happy about going and building a community on Earth and then that ship comes 😭

message 22: by shea (new)

shea 😭

message 23: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments holy...have u guys heard about chadwick boseman? :(

*·˚elizabeth*·˚  | 497 comments yes, that's so sad. he was an angel

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) It’s so sad:(
He seemed like a genuinely nice man and humble person and he inspired so many

message 26: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments oml ik :(

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (cresarie) | 68 comments ikr, RIP :(

message 28: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments what r u guys reading rn?

message 29: by shea (new)

shea Cool! I’m almost done with The Cruel Prince!

message 30: by Ashi (new)

Ashi | 441 comments Ooh the cruel prince was so good!!

message 31: by shea (new)

shea Really? I love it so far, only nine chapters left!!

message 32: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments ahh i really need to read the cruel prince haha. i'm literally 1 page into the farm (i started it on saturday), but i've had so much school work arghhhh :'(

message 33: by shea (new)

shea That’s annoying. Ahhh :(

message 34: by Juuso (new)

Juuso | 179 comments How has today been for you? What have you been doing?

message 35: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments lol i had so much homework last night, so i slept for a lil under 2 hours last night :'(( but i took a nap so it's ok XD. i did my online school and switched to reading Permanent Record, and that's about all i've done today haha. what about you?

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) Oh, that’s barley any sleep! How’d that happen?

message 37: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments idk i was busy during the weekend and had a buncha stuff due sunday midnight and monday morning. but its ok i ended up taking a nap and going to sleep "early" (11:30ish aahah) so im energized now XD

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) Well it’s good you’re now energized! Any plans for the day? School or something?

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) Well it’s good you’re now energized! Any plans for the day? School or something?

message 40: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments yeah haha i've been doing school work all day. the way my school has done it is that we have 3 synchronous days and 2 asynchronous days a week. on the synchronous days, we have to virtually go to every class and stuff, whereas on the asynchronous days we just work haha. so today was asynchronous so i've just been doing work -_- how's ur school doing it?

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) We’re going back physically but there was the option of doing online but I personally despised online so I couldn’t do it. Although if there is any Covid we may have to shutdown school and do online again for a bit

message 42: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments oooh that's good! hopefully ur covid numbers don't go up

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) Yeah fingers croseed

message 44: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments hey guys! what are ur thoughts on bookstores? do u like big chains (like barnes & noble) or independent bookstores? or do u just like to buy them online? i personally like going to bookstores, but online books on amazon are often times cheaper (and i sometimes have a gift card haha). today i went to an independent bookstore and it was spectacular haha. i love barnes & noble, but i also enjoy how independent bookstores have such random editions and stuff. the entire top floor of the bookstore i went to was all used books, but they were in excellent condition. i loved the random assortment of books and editions i've never heard of/seen before.

i ended up buying a book of all the works of oscar wilde (i only planned on reading the picture of dorian gray, but looks like i'm reading everything haha), alice's adventures in wonderland and through the looking glass, and crime and punishment

idk my family doesn't seem to understand why i love going to bookstores everywhere i go, so i wanted to hear your guys' thoughts! :)

message 45: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollyabookdragon) I personally love to go to a bookstore! the atmosphere and the smell and just browsing the books is so much fun. I go to barnes and noble because I dont live near any local bookstores, which I'm sad about. though I do often buy used books online or Amazon books, like you said, they are usually cheaper.

message 46: by Lillyyy, Bookish Immortal (new)

Lillyyy | 5564 comments I love both and I live near a ton so I'm really lucky. I live 5 minutes away from a huge (like really huge) B&N that I love and just recently got a membership at and I go there if I'm looking for something specific because they always have it. I also live really close to a nice little used bookstore that I love to browse in and it's just really cozy and fun. Across the street from that, there is a bookstore that I don't really like to use because it's kinda pricey and they don't normally have what I want, but if I can't find something at the other bookstore that I mentioned I do go in there and browse. Finally, there's an Amazon books a little bit away from me that I like to go into when I don't want to make a list of what books I want and I don't have anything specific, but I want something popular that I did want if you get what I mean lol. I don't go there too often though because it's also pretty pricey and there isn't as big of a selection as there is at B&N.

Sorry that probably made no sense lol, my brain isn't working right now haha

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (cresarie) | 68 comments urmom wrote: "hey guys! what are ur thoughts on bookstores? do u like big chains (like barnes & noble) or independent bookstores? or do u just like to buy them online? i personally like going to bookstores, but ..."

I love bookstores! I'm trying to find one that's hiring XD I usually get books from Amazon too, but I'm hoping if I work at one I'll get a snazzy discount :P Plus they've just got such a cosy, bookish atmosphere and I love them sm

message 48: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments oooh. yeah i don’t live near any local bookstores either, and the closest b&n is like 15-20 minutes away 😭. the cool bookstore i went to was 3-ish hours away from home haha. oml working at a bookstore? that’s genius haha. i wouldn’t mind having a job ahaha (money so i can get more books😼). when i get old, imma move somewhere with a buncha bookstores haha

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) oh that sounds like a solid plan! but yeah for me the closest book stoer is 10-15-20 minutes. and it's a chain store (but i love it). all the indepentant ones are downtown where i live and i don't go there in those areas ofetn and with covid it's just a no

message 50: by urmom (new)

urmom (urmomreadsbooks) | 466 comments ahaha yea avoid the covid XD

« previous 1