Book Grocer Book Club discussion

Favourite Classic Novels (that you think everyone should give a crack)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by The Book Grocer (last edited Aug 24, 2020 11:01PM) (new)

The Book Grocer (thebookgrocer) | 8 comments Mod
Classics novels are some of the most controversial books out there, some people arguing that certain titles are 'must reads' while others think they can be 'boring'. We think there are classics that are good for every reader, but not every classic will suit you.

One of my favourites is 'Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde' by Robert Louis Stevenson, that I got from a BookGrocer store secondhand . It was the first classic I read properly for myself, rather than for school - I loved every moment of it, and I've re-read it 3 times since.

What is a classic novel you loved and recommend to your friends? Would love to hear why you loved it so much!

Brooke - The Book Grocer

Art & Illustration

message 2: by Peta (new)

Peta Hunter | 1 comments 'To kill a mockingbird' by Harper Lee absolutely should be read. I read this when I was a bit younger, but now as I get older and can dive deeper into the meaning I can appreciate it much much more and think everyone should give it a go.

'The catcher in the rye' for no reason other than it was enjoyable.

Peta wrote: "'To kill a mockingbird' by Harper Lee absolutely should be read. I read this when I was a bit younger, but now as I get older and can dive deeper into the meaning I can appreciate it much much more..."

Harper Lee is great isn't she! I do think this book is powerful for a lot of people, a great read for young adults/teenagers I have found.

As for The Catcher in the Rye we have a lot of our staff members who will agree with you on that one!

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Nacis | 1 comments Frankenstein or the modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley. Very different from what I knew when I was younger i thought it is scary but no no, it's dark and sad.

Clockwork orange by Anthony Burgess is such an interesting read. It's a little intimidating at first because of the language (or slangs) used but after a while it's really interesting and weird. Really different from what I've read so far.

Hannah wrote: "Frankenstein or the modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley. Very different from what I knew when I was younger i thought it is scary but no no, it's dark and sad.

Clockwork orange by Anthony Burgess is..."

Frankenstein is gorgeous isn't it. I only read it this year but I already have plans to re-read! I want to soak it up all over again.

I haven't read Clockwork Orange but I do have a gorgeous secondhand edition sitting on my shelf waiting to be read, so maybe it'll be my next read!

- Brooke, The Book Grocer