21st Century Literature discussion

Question of the Week > What Are The Best 21st Century Graphic Novels? (8/23/20)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2742 comments Mod
Which graphics novels from the 21st century would you say are among the best? If you've never read a graphic novel, let us know why not.

message 2: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2367 comments My all time favorite is from the 20th century although a new edition was published in the 21st! I know that does not qualify it but it is a really important book and my first graphic novel.

From the 21st century, I've read a few but seems I failed to record most of them on GR, as my "graphic" shelf contains only 2, both read in the last year. It doesn't even have my all time favorite. I remember the name of one other I read a few years ago but I have vague recollections of a couple I much enjoyed that are not yielding names.

So I'm just going to see what others post and maybe thinking about graphic novels will spring something loose from my subconscious!

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert | 442 comments The Arab of the future- riad souttef

message 4: by Bill (last edited Aug 24, 2020 10:27AM) (new)

Bill Hsu (billhsu) | 118 comments My list quickly exploded. I've omitted some of the obvious items.

Toshiharu Tsuge, The Swamp
Al Columbia, Amnesia: The Lost Films of Francis D. Longfellow
Hans Rickheit, Folly: The Consequences of Indiscretion
Hans Rickheit, The Squirrel Machine
Charles Burns, The Hive
Charles Burns, Black Hole
Jesse Jacobs, Safari Honeymoon
Zak Sally, Recidivist
Jaime Hernandez, The Love Bunglers
Jaime Hernandez, Is This How You See Me?
Jonathan Hickman, The Black Monday Murders, Vol. 1: All Hail, God Mammon (also Vol 2)
Jeff Lemire, Black Hammer, Vol. 1: Secret Origins (also Vol 2)
Matthew Sturges, House of Mystery, Volume 1: Room and Boredom (more volumes!)
Caitlin Skaalrud, Houses of the Holy
Daniel Clowes, Patience
Grant Morrison, Nameless
Grant Morrison, We3
Max Andersson, Bosnian Flat Dog

message 6: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 2176 comments Mod
Some of my favorites:

The Unwritten ; the now grown boy who inspired his father's Harry Potter type books discovers that fictional worlds intersect with the real world, and he's at the center of shadowy factions battling for control.

Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy. Young adult, great fun for everyone. The supernatural adventures of the campers at Miss Qiunzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet's Camp for Hardcore Lady Types.

Victor LaValle's Destroyer is Frankenstein meets Black Lives Matter.

Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations
Kindred: A Graphic Novel Adaptation
My Favorite Thing Is Monsters, Vol. 1
Anything by Junji Ito

Also good fun are Afterlife with Archie, Vol. 1: Escape from Riverdale and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 1: The Crucible (much better than the recent series it inspired).

message 7: by Bretnie (new)

Bretnie | 661 comments I haven't read a lot of graphic novels, so I'm excited to add more to my to-read shelf!

The biggest barrier for me is the cost of the books but I could probably seek them out more from my library!

Seconding the plug for Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood which really opened my eyes for what an author could accomplish from a graphic novel.

message 8: by Whitney (new)

The cost is a huge issue for me, I rarely buy graphic novels.

I get a lot from my library (assuming your local library is doing safe check-outs now). And if your library caries Hoopla, they have a lot available digitally.

message 9: by Whitney (new)

Bill wrote: "My list quickly exploded. I've omitted some of the obvious items..."

I'm shocked to see Al Columbia on here!
We3 was incredibly good, but I don't like to think about it and I will never read it again.

Def adding a few others from your list.

message 10: by Bill (new)

Bill Hsu (billhsu) | 118 comments Whitney wrote: "I'm shocked to see Al Columbia on here!"

Haha... great to see another fan! In case you haven't seen this:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

(I'm also an indefatigable pusher of Hans Rickheit's Squirrel Machine.)

I also enjoyed The Unwritten when it was published monthly, though I got distracted and didn't follow it to the end. Might have to remedy that. I love Junji Ito as well; I wear my Junji Ito facemask regularly.

message 11: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2742 comments Mod
I'm on board with Black Hole, Jimmy Corrigan, Persepolis, and My Favorite Thing Is Monsters as mentioned above.

Personal faves I would add:
- Big Questions (Nilsen)
- Kitaro (Mizuki)
- Saga, Vol. 1 (Vaughan)
- Asterios Polyp (Mazzuchelli)