YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Murder Complex (The Murder Complex, #1)
This topic is about The Murder Complex
GROUP BUDDY READ > The Murder Complex (The Murder Complex #1) by Lindsay Cummings - Starting September 1st 2020

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22812 comments Mod

An action-packed, blood-soaked, futuristic debut thriller set in a world where the murder rate is higher than the birthrate. For fans of Moira Young’s Dust Lands series, La Femme Nikita, and the movie Hanna.

Meadow Woodson, a fifteen-year-old girl who has been trained by her father to fight, to kill, and to survive in any situation, lives with her family on a houseboat in Florida. The state is controlled by The Murder Complex, an organization that tracks the population with precision.

The plot starts to thicken when Meadow meets Zephyr James, who is—although he doesn’t know it—one of the MC’s programmed assassins. Is their meeting a coincidence? Destiny? Or part of a terrifying strategy? And will Zephyr keep Meadow from discovering the haunting truth about her family?

Action-packed, blood-soaked, and chilling, this is a dark and compelling debut novel by Lindsay Cummings.

message 2: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (last edited Aug 23, 2020 06:39PM) (new) - added it

The Murder Complex (The Murder Complex #1) by Lindsay Cummings will be our 5th GBR for September 2020.

Please read at your own pace, and hide any spoilers ☺ You are welcome to join at any time during the month ☺

Happy Reading Everybody

Pre-Reading Questions -

Anybody got any thoughts on this one before we start?

Has anyone read anything similar to this before?

Anybody read anything else by this author previously?

message 4: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10083 comments I'm nervous because I'm seeing a lot of bad reviews. So far, I'm ambivalent
25% (view spoiler)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven’t heard of this author or this book before, but I’m 5% in and it’s giving me Divergent vibes, a YA Dystopia. I like that genre, so I’m hoping this continues to be intriguing. I do worry a little about the blurb saying it’s bloody and the MPG of Horror, but hopefully it won’t be too gorey for me. I’m liking it so far! Interesting setting and makes me want to learn more about the history and uncover secrets.

message 6: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10083 comments Talia wrote: "I haven’t heard of this author or this book before, but I’m 5% in and it’s giving me Divergent vibes, a YA Dystopia. I like that genre, so I’m hoping this continues to be intriguing. I do worry a l..."

It is a bit bloody so far, I'm about 35% in. Not terribly, but people do get murdered a lot

message 7: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10083 comments 50% (view spoiler)

message 8: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10083 comments 75% (view spoiler)

message 9: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10083 comments finished (view spoiler)

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 11, 2020 09:59PM) (new)

Aly wrote: "I'm nervous because I'm seeing a lot of bad reviews. So far, I'm ambivalent
25% I wonder why there's so much murder? I know Zephyr is an assassin for the government, but is it just to control the ..."

I’m at 31% (through chp. 15), and Aly, I agree with you on (view spoiler)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

At 46%, through chp. 37 (view spoiler)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished the book. I'm surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did with all the killing going on. But the dystopian world was interesting and I liked learning more about the characters and the world history as the story progressed. I already downloaded book 2! I'm surprised I've never heard of this book before. Glad it was chosen as a group buddy read!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Aly wrote: "finished (view spoiler)."

Aly, I think Meadow (view spoiler)

message 14: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10083 comments Talia wrote: "Aly wrote: "finished (view spoiler)"

Yeah that makes sense