YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1)
This topic is about Etiquette & Espionage
GROUP BUDDY READ > Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School #1) by Gail Carriger - Starting September 1st 2020

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22812 comments Mod

It's one thing to learn to curtsy properly. It's quite another to learn to curtsy and throw a knife at the same time. Welcome to Finishing School.

Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is a great trial to her poor mother. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper manners--and the family can only hope that company never sees her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminnick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. So she enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.

But Sophronia soon realizes the school is not quite what her mother might have hoped. At Mademoiselle Geraldine's, young ladies learn to finish...everything. Certainly, they learn the fine arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but they also learn to deal out death, diversion, and espionage--in the politest possible ways, of course. Sophronia and her friends are in for a rousing first year's education.

message 2: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (last edited Aug 23, 2020 06:30PM) (new) - added it

Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School #1) by Gail Carriger will be our 2nd GBR for September 2020.

Please read at your own pace, and hide any spoilers ☺ You are welcome to join at any time during the month ☺

Happy Reading Everybody!

Pre-Reading Questions -

Anybody got any thoughts on this one before we start?

Has anyone read anything similar to this before?

Anybody read anything else by this author previously?

Kikijanika | 66 comments I haven't read anything by this author before but I've got this book on my shelf, so maybe I'll join this buddy read 😊

Kathryn Ford (cathy87) | 92 comments I'm on Chapter 6 and I must say this is the weirdest book I've ever read! :D

Kathryn Ford (cathy87) | 92 comments I haven't read many Steampunk novels. I found this one to be very engaging and full of excitement. The main protagonist is strong and very likable. The plot was interesting and the action at the end of the book was really great.

message 7: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10091 comments I'm starting this now

message 8: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10091 comments Lesson 5 (view spoiler)

message 9: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10091 comments Lesson 9 (view spoiler)

message 10: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10091 comments Lesson 13 (view spoiler)

message 11: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10091 comments Finished (view spoiler)

message 12: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10091 comments Kathryn wrote: "I haven't read many Steampunk novels. I found this one to be very engaging and full of excitement. The main protagonist is strong and very likable. The plot was interesting and the action at the en..."

I'm glad you liked it! I thought it was sort of boring, but to each their own :)

Kathryn Ford (cathy87) | 92 comments I see you gave it a 3 star rating, so I'm glad you enjoyed it some what. :) I think they could have focused a bit more on the lessons themselves. I also loved the way that sophronia doesn't see race or class, just friends. I'm busy reading the second book and you find out a lot more about vampires in it.

message 14: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10091 comments Yeah, I wanted more about their lessons!
Oh, I like learning about the vampires. Maybe I'll see about the second book

Kathryn Ford (cathy87) | 92 comments It's quite interesting so far... very mysterious. So maybe you should give book 2 a try. :)

message 16: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10091 comments Okay I'll request it from my library

message 17: by Trisha (semi-hiatus) (last edited Sep 16, 2020 07:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (semi-hiatus) (booksreviewsandprocrastination) | 3593 comments I read this one before september.....unfortunately (I read it on the 31st of august) so I didn't participate here .....but I finished the rest of the series, and this series is seriously awesome!!

It actually gets better in the next books, with them attending lesser school, and carrying out more espionage.....,and the lessons get even better.

The thing I probably liked most about this series was the humour.....that english humour!

Kikijanika | 66 comments Aly wrote: "Finished [spoilers removed]"

I kind of had the same problem. Also the beginning gave me quite strong Harry Potter vibes. The mysterious school and three friends meeting on the way there did it, I guess.