Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Beneath the Shadows
This topic is about Beneath the Shadows
Archive - Group Reads > GENERAL: Beneath the Shadows by Sara Foster - September 2020

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited Aug 22, 2020 07:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (diggensjenny) Hello, fellow Crime, Mystery & Thriller readers! This discussion is about Beneath the Shadows by Sara Foster your discussion leader is Icewineanne

Please note: If you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.
Beneath the Shadows by Sara Foster Beneath the Shadows by Sara Foster Beneath the Shadows by Sara Foster Beneath the Shadows by Sara Foster Beneath the Shadows (16pt Large Print Edition) by Sara Foster Beneath the Shadows by Sara Foster

Summary

In this thrilling gothic suspense debut by Sara Foster in the tradition of Rosamund Lupton and Sophie Hannah, a young mother searches Yorkshire's windswept moors for the truth behind her husband's mysterious disappearance.

THE ANSWERS ARE HIDING BENEATH THE SHADOWS

When Grace's husband, Adam, inherits an isolated North Yorkshire cottage, they leave the bustle of London behind to try a new life. A week later, Adam vanishes without a trace, leaving their baby daughter, Millie, in her stroller on the doorstep. The following year, Grace returns to the tiny village on the untamed heath. Everyone—the police, her parents, even her best friend and younger sister—is convinced that Adam left her. But Grace, unable to let go of her memories of their love and life together, cannot accept this explanation. She is desperate for answers, but the slumbering, deeply superstitious hamlet is unwilling to give up its secrets. As Grace hunts through forgotten corners of the cottage searching for clues, and digs deeper into the lives of the locals, strange dreams begin to haunt her. Are the villagers hiding something, or is she becoming increasingly paranoid? Only as snowfall threatens to cut her and Millie off from the rest of the world does Grace make a terrible discovery. She has been looking in the wrong place for answers all along, and she and her daughter will be in terrible danger if she cannot get them away in time.

"A haunting tale of loss and one woman's search for the truth no matter the consequences. This vividly written novel will leave you breathless and as chilled as the starkly beautiful North Yorkshire moors where this compelling story unfolds." –Heather Gudenkauf, New York Times bestselling author of These Things Hidden

message 2: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Icewineanne | 673 comments Mod
Welcome mystery readers. Looking forward to reading this with you. Many of my trusted GR friends loved this book, rating it either 5 or 4 stars. Excited to read your thoughts & critiques.
Happy reading 📚 🤗

message 3: by ConnieD (new)

ConnieD (bookwithcat) | 560 comments This looks really good, but unfortunately my library doesn't have it. Maybe they will get a copy later on.

message 4: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Connie, would have loved to have had you join us. This is an older book, came out in 2012. Perhaps amazon has a free or cheap copy?

message 5: by Scarlette (new)

Scarlette | 12 comments Hi, I just got the book planning on starting it tomorrow.

message 6: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scarlette, glad to have you reading along!
Hoping it’s a good one 😉

Jenny (diggensjenny) Icewineanne - I have received my copy of this book today. I will let you know my opinion of this book.

Barbara K | 328 comments Just discovered that the audio of this book is available free to Audible subscribers through their new “library” program! I’m going to grab it and hope to join the discussion once I clear some reading time.

message 9: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Can’t wait to read your comments Jenny!

message 10: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Barbara wrote: "Just discovered that the audio of this book is available free to Audible subscribers through their new “library” program! I’m going to grab it and hope to join the discussion once I clear some read..."

Barbara, love audio books also as long as the narrator is good. Let us know.
Cheers!

message 11: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna Schmidt | 141 comments For those of you who want it try Kindle!!! Mine was free!!

message 12: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Has anyone finished reading yet? What did you think of this book & writer?

Barbara K | 328 comments Yes, I’ve finished. While I thought it had some good qualities, overall it was a bit disappointing. It lacked the feeling of menace I was hoping for. My thoughts:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 14: by Icewineanne, Moderator (last edited Sep 12, 2020 09:44PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

This was a disappointment for me as well Barbara. For readers who are still reading or haven’t begun yet. Please do not read this spoiler regarding my thoughts until after you finish.

(view spoiler)

Sharon Mensing (sharon_mensing) | 8 comments Barbara wrote: "Yes, I’ve finished. While I thought it had some good qualities, overall it was a bit disappointing. It lacked the feeling of menace I was hoping for.

I so agree! I was also disappointed in the lack of descriptive language for the setting. Yes, it was the moors. That's about all we get.

message 16: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sharon wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Yes, I’ve finished. While I thought it had some good qualities, overall it was a bit disappointing. It lacked the feeling of menace I was hoping for.

I so agree! I was also disapp..."

So true Sharon