Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > September 2020 Reading Plans

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (last edited Aug 26, 2020 04:47AM) (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4143 comments Mod
BOTM for September
1. Popular Vote: The Human Stain - Philip Roth
Host: ?
2. Randomizer: The Breast - Philip Roth
Host Gail
3. Buddy Read: Contact - Carl Sagan
Host: Dawn

TBR: #1

3rd Quarterly Read. July, August, September
Anna Karerina host Diane P

Annual Read: The Journey to the West, Volume 1 (Jan - March)
Volume 2 April - June
Volume 3 July - September
Volume 4 Oct to December
(Feel free to read as fast as you want)

Your Group Admins:
Diane Zwang (Cafe Mom): in charge of special events through the year.
Book Worm: in charge of the participation points, Randomizer (the lady that throws the dice), etc. Also runs a blog. Busy lady
Kristel: BOTM, general housekeeping and fill in where needed.

Needed moderators for our BOTMs.
What will you be reading in September?

message 2: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1420 comments I won't be reading either BOTM, nor Anna, although I will enjoy reading the discussions. I am going to concentrate on Journey to the West in September. I might consider the Buddy Read if I make enough progress and my TBR is not too challenging.

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 478 comments I read Contact quite a while ago, and I read Anna Karenina a few years ago. BOTMs- I'm stuck with the books I have and those our local library system owns until interlibrary loan starts up again, so I probably won't be doing the BOTMs in September. I do own a couple unread Roth novels though that I might move into my monthly TBR. On the List I have Portnoy's Complaint, and off the List I think I have 2 or 3 more of his books somewhere in my shelves.
I'm adding Trainspotting to my TBR for September, since it came up several times in conversations so far this month. I may also add Corrections, by Franzen, since I picked up a copy of his novel Purity from a dollar store recently.
And, of course, I'll be doing the TBR Takedown pick for September.
I'm also still focused on Joyce Carol Oates and Maraget Atwood, so if I acquire more of their books on the List I'll add them to my Sept TBR stacks as I acquire them.

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1255 comments Mod
I am going to read The Human Stain but it might not be in September. My reading has slowed tremendously with my new job. I am still only at 30% of The Godfather. One book at a time...

message 5: by Amanda (last edited Aug 26, 2020 11:59AM) (new)

Amanda Dawn | 1113 comments For September I plan on reading:

1) Contact (hosting Buddy read)
2)Cost (other 1001 group's botm)- I was going to read that in August, but I moved around this one and Stone Diaries
3) TBR- Christ Stopped at Eboli
4) Randomisers: The Nice and Good, and Extinction
5) The remaining volumes of 1001 nights hopefully
6) some random books and audios I own: likely 120 days of sodom, Magic Mountain, The Shadow Lines, and Fury

I read Ana Karenina a couple months ago and wil be responding to that as well.

message 6: by Gail (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1416 comments If no one will take on hosting The Breast, I will. Both BOTM selections are by Roth so I would think I could figure out a few questions for the shorter book. It is only 79 pages, which makes me think that we wouldn’t want the questions to take longer than the reading....

message 7: by Kristel (new)

Gail wrote: "If no one will take on hosting The Breast, I will. Both BOTM selections are by Roth so I would think I could figure out a few questions for the shorter book. It is only 79 pages, which makes me thi..."
Lol, that does sound like a good plan.

message 8: by Kristel (new)

I found some discussion questions for The Human Stain so I can always use those if no one wants to host that one.

message 9: by Kristel (new)

TBR takedown number is #1

message 10: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 954 comments Before I get to September reading proper, I need to finish Oscar and Lucinda from my randomized list. Then I will go through both BOTMs and the TBR pick (Smollett's Roderick Random). Getting the impression this might become a difficult reading month.

message 11: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 2009 comments Mod
I have ordered both Roth books from the library and I have Alberto Angelo for my TBR. I am still waiting for Vol 2 of Monkey to be available for some reason my library system has Vol 1 & Vol 3 but not 2 or 4 so chances of reading this year are looking more unlikely :(

message 12: by Kristel (new)

I've ordered The Breast from ILL so I am guessing they are up and functioning. But who knows.
I will also join the Buddy Read. I've never gotten Contact read even though it has been a previous BOTM.
TBR takedown: High-Rise

I am behind on reading: Monkey, The Golden Notebook.

I have other reads this month:
f2f bookclub is reading The Vanishing Half

message 13: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 2009 comments Mod
Kristel wrote: "I've ordered The Breast from ILL so I am guessing they are up and functioning. But who knows.
I will also join the Buddy Read. I've never gotten Contact read even though it has been a previous BOTM..."

I really enjoyed The Vanishing Half should be a good discussion

message 14: by Gail (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1416 comments The Vanishing Half is on my list to read this month also.

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1255 comments Mod
The Human Stain is all I will be able to get to in September.

message 16: by Kristel (new)

Gail wrote: "The Vanishing Half is on my list to read this month also."
did you get it read? what did you think?

message 17: by Gail (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1416 comments I am still in Russia with Anna and Kitty...it is slow going. However, I have 6 days left in the month and I still hope to get to The Vanishing Half. I will let you know what I thought once I have finished it.