Reading with Style discussion

RwS Fall 2020 > 20.5 Wine

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6164 comments Deborah Harkness was one of the presenters at the National Book Festival in 2018. Her Wikipedia page says she is "is an American scholar, novelist and wine enthusiast". Read a novel where a character(s) drink wine.

Feel free to post any comments about task 20.5 in this thread.

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1418 comments As a recommendation: I just finished a book A Farewell to France by Noel Barber about an American French family that makes champagne. Plenty of wine drinking in it!

message 3: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1454 comments Is sherry wine?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12410 comments Joanna wrote: "Is sherry wine?"

Yes, a type of wine.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (lit_chick_77) | 405 comments I’ve noticed some people putting the quote with the wine drinking in their completion posts. I have not. Is this a requirement for the task? Thanks!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12410 comments Ann wrote: "I’ve noticed some people putting the quote with the wine drinking in their completion posts. I have not. Is this a requirement for the task? Thanks!"

It was a requirement a couple of seasons ago when we had a similar task for tea. It's a nice addition and I enjoy seeing them, but we have not made it a requirement this season.

message 7: by Kathleen (itpdx) (last edited Nov 08, 2020 02:36PM) (new)

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1418 comments Can Legends of the Fall by Jim Harrison qualify for 20.5 since it does qualify for not a novel (therefore is a novel?) and there is wine drinking in all three pieces?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12410 comments Kathleen (itpdx) wrote: "Can Legends of the Fall by Jim Harrison qualify for 20.5 since it is not a novel and there is wine drinking in all three pieces?"

No, I'm sorry.

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1418 comments LOL so novellas are a black hole—neither a novel nor not a novel!

message 10: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Nov 08, 2020 03:09PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12410 comments Kathleen (itpdx) wrote: "LOL so novellas are a black hole—neither a novel nor not a novel!"

And I'm sorry again. I wasn't thinking. Yes, novellas are classed as fiction (they are just short novels) so this would count for 20.5.

By the way, did you like this? I've had it sitting on my self for awhile and need to get after it.

message 11: by Kathleen (itpdx) (new)

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1418 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Kathleen (itpdx) wrote: "LOL so novellas are a black hole—neither a novel nor not a novel!"

And I'm sorry again. I wasn't thinking. Yes, novellas are classed as fiction (they are just short novels..."

The title piece Legends of the Fall is definitely worth reading. The others are only OK.